SASS Wire Forum

cowboy action shootings is going to be outlawed in The Neterlands

dutch bear

It is a sad day, but lets get some perspective. If it true that the vast majority of the government will vote for this, then it must be popular in the country. It's their county and if that is the way they want to play it, fine. It has no effect on CAS worldwide.

two things:

why should what politicians do, be what “the people” want, elections are always a choice between 2 or more evils and politicians seem to do what they want.

They only do what the people want when it is an election year.(and even then it’s a part-time deal)

Although we are a small country here in The Netherlands and on a world scale we probably don’t matter to CAS it is hart warming that the rest of the reactions are compassionate to the Dutch cowboy action shooters that will lose their sport.

Grt

Dutch Bear

Dear Dutch Bear,

Although we haven't met, I care that you are losing a beloved sport and freedoms. Your political situation sounds similar to what we experience here.

I've had the pleasure of meeting folks from Austria, Austrailia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, and Italy. I've "chatted" on the Wire and Facebook with many folks from additional countries. It has enriched my life to communicate with these folks with backgrounds so different from mine.

Sincerely,

Allie "one of your American friends" Mo

Good idea. I would like to do that. The big problem is to get the green card.

Boogie

Hummmm? It seems that half of our country doesn't have one.. It's too bad that the GOOD folks who want to come here are held up by legalities.... but then, it's always those that obey the laws that suffer.

Snakebite

Somehow, I think that's plainly backwards.

The President has done nothing to reassure me that his Administration holds any respect whatsoever for the 2nd Amendment, or that with the election over, there will be no meaningful restraint on his prior committments to implement further restrictions on guns, ammo and gun owners.

Urban Democratic voters, soccer moms, anti-gun activists, residents of high crime aras, and folks of all stripes who harbor the ill-informed hope that banning guns will end violence and crime - all form a substantial constituency in favor of gun control. And they contribute money to certain politicians to press those beliefs.

Mr. Obama does, in fact, "make the laws". Just last week, the Wall Street Journal and The Boston Globe both reported that the present Administration, contrary to their criticism of the Bush era use of executive orders, has itself used such unfettered orders to accomplish goals blocked in the Congress. The President has used recess appointments, even when the Senate was not actually in recess, to install agencies heads whose appointments were blocked in Congress. Executive agencies (including BATFE) have implemented regulations that far exceed their Congressional mandates, such as that which eventually required Southwest gun dealers to report multiple sales of semi-auto long guns, creating a defacto "Federal list" of gun buyers. In essence, the President, through executive orders and control of Executive agencies, can (and has) made laws.

Baseless "doom and gloom"??? For me, the turning point in my uncertainty about the actual intent of this Administration came with the revelations regarding "Fast and Furious". Added to earlier comments to Brady folks about proceeding against guns "under the radar", I have no real doubt that, without concern over the next election cycle, a re-elected President would move rapidly and decisively to implement his previously-promised additional restrictions. At the least, we would see the Clinton gun ban come back, if not more.

As for where us "gun rights types" were in your GA county scenario, I can't believe that you seriously would compare a local noise ordinance with national gun bans. I would hope that local sporting clubs and gun owners would stand up to be heard on such an ordinance, and if not, that their local and state organizations would get imnvolved. I would also hope that you and your local cowboy shooters stood up and worked with local agencies to produce an agreement that all could live with. We all face these kinds of issues, but they do not represent, in my view, the most serious challanges to gun rights, and certainly do not rise to the level of a President who is hostile to the very existence of an armed population.

I'm not certain whether your post was serious, or meant to stir the pot. I'm no "hair-on-fire, the End of the World is coming" right wing gun activist. I often wince at NRA pronouncements that seem to exceed the known world of facts. But I have seen, in my own state, what happens when we fail to guard against executive action that ultimately bans guns. If I could in a practical and persuasive way, I would run down every street in America, screaming my lungs out, and warning that this Administration intends great harm to our 2nd Amendment rights. That ain't doom and gloom from the right; that's my view based on the available facts.

LL

What he said..... and my own less than eloquent, "You gotta be ***tting me?"

Good idea. I would like to do that. The big problem is to get the green card.

Boogie

Same here, a green card and a job, an other possibility and one we are seriously considering is moving to Boogies country(Germany)

but both options will take a lot of research before taking the big step(and luck with the green card for yhe US)

grt

Bear

DB, I wish your posting was just another April Fools joke. Regrettably it is not. I watched you place in the top ten in your category at EOT last year and was very pleased to see you get your award. I'm sure you will find a way to continue participating in the shooting sports and burning your beloved black powder. Meanwhile I've made a note to make donation to the National Rifle Association (our body that vigorously defends our shooting rights) and a couple of local candidates for national office as soon as I get my tax refund. There are plenty of candidates running for office who plan more draconian retrictions for gun owners in the U.S. than the Dutch government is about to impose on you.

My ancestors came here from the Netherlands.

I'm just sayin..... ;)

As much as I don't like what the government is doing in the Netherlands, I don't like seeing the post become overtly US political. I have a hunch that any move like that in the US would be overwhelmingly knocked down. There are more gun owners in America than there are anti-gunners. Everybody knows it. Shocking as it might sound a lot of the gun owners are Democrats.

Gun control becomes the rallying cry in urban areas only because the urban politicians don't know how to respond when somebody shoots an innocent person. Of course, they don't know how to respond because responding correctly would require we all take a deep breath and demand more out of ourselves, especially parents. Of course, changing culture is more than the politicians want to take on. There is no money in it.

Sometimes there are reasons for gun control laws, the laws pertaining to selling guns to the mentally ill, felons and those with a history of domestic violence, which have been endorsed by the NRA come to mind. The slippery slope isn't always that slippery.

For me the real question is how do we show solidarity with our European shooting friends. What can we do to influence an enlightened view in the Netherlands government? Just what problem is the Netherland's government trying to address anyway?

For me the real question is how do we show solidarity with our European shooting friends. What can we do to influence an enlightened view in the Netherlands government? Just what problem is the Netherland's government trying to address anyway?

The problem they are trying to address is that we had a mall shooting in The Netherlands a year a go, and the boy(20something years old)who did it, used a gun that he had on a permit.

after he did this, they found out that he had been in a mental institution twice bud still was given a permit because the people who gave him the permit(police) didn’t believe the stories they heard about him and couldn’t check it because of privacy rules

A couple of months later the shooting in Norway occurred where Anders Brivick shot 77people.

The government here sees dynamic shooting as combat or offensive training for these kind of idiots(lone wolfs), sadly The Netherlands is not a gun minded culture like the US or Norway so here all guns are seen as a threat by the general public(to the best of my knowledge the Norwegian gun laws haven’t been changed)

A study from the Dutch safety board that reviewed the mall shooting found out that over the last 30 years :

just under 3% of shootings where with legally owned guns

2% of those 3% where guns issued by the government(police, military, etc )

So the best the politicians can do over here is target the people that are less than 1% off the problem, why because the other issues like failing permit systems or combating illegal guns are to hard .

Best regards

Dutch Bear

And don't forget that after the election Obummer will be more "flexible"

REMEMBER . . . in 2006 this is the guy who wrote "The Audacity of Hope" (about his vision of how we could regain the American Dream) which has turned out to be a four year nightmare! Four more years will be the end of America as we knew it!

REMEMBER . . . in 2008 (when he was running for president) this is the guy who said "Judge me by the people with whom I surround myself" (Reverend Wright, Bill Ayers, Nancy Pelosi, Van Jones, Harry Reid, Steven Chu, Valerie Jarrett, Eric Holder, Rahm Emanuel, Tony Rezko, David Axelrod, Tim Geithner)

Then grab your socks guys. Obama will get the votes from Blacks, Mexicans, Union members, Democrats, all of the folks on the dole, and all of the simple minded folks that feel that if they vote against him then they are somehow showing racial bigotry.

I hope I'm wrong.

Then grab your socks guys. Obama will get the votes from Blacks, Mexicans, Union members, Democrats, all of the folks on the dole, and all of the simple minded folks that feel that if they vote against him then they are somehow showing racial bigotry.

I hope I'm wrong.

You forgot the dead. :unsure:

You forgot the dead. :unsure:

ROTFLMAO!

:lol:

The government here sees dynamic shooting as combat or offensive training for these kind of idiots(lone wolfs), sadly The Netherlands is not a gun minded culture like the US or Norway so here all guns are seen as a threat by the general public(to the best of my knowledge the Norwegian gun laws haven’t been changed)

Best regards

Dutch Bear

It is truly a sad turn of events.

This is a prime example of the insidious, bit by bit approach to gun control. They eliminate the "dynamic shooting" because it is cocidered "combat or offensive training for these kind of idiots(lone wolfs)" all the while reassuring you that they do not intend to take away your guns by continuing to allow static shooting at paper targets for accuracy. However, some one will later point out that those are the methods used to train snipers and conclude they must eliminate that next. Now then, seeing as there are no longer any allowable shooting sports, you no longer have a reason to own guns.

T.L.

Archived