SASS Wire Forum

Mod. 97 12 ga. chamber question.....

The Original Lumpy Gritz

The 97 was an improvement on the 93.

One of the things changed was the chamber length to 2 3/4".

"The frame was strengthened and made longer to handle a 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch shell, as well as the 2 5/8-inch shell."

Lumpy, Brimstone Gazette --- June 2011

Cliff Hanger

When they lengthened the frame from the 93 to the 97 to accept the longer shells, did they open up the ejection port as well?

I went out and measured a 93 and a couple of 97s. The answer is no as far as length is concerned. They did, of course, eliminate the dog leg at the rear of the port on the 93 when they redesigned it into the 97.

Awful Close, I was asked today at lunch why I didn't respond to your post.

Well, the answer came from Pettifogger and I don't see any reason to duplicate correct answers just to make a thread longer. Had I gotten back to the thread before Pettifogger, I would have posted the same answer.

CH

Hopefully someone wiser/more well informed than I will confirm (or debunk) this.

I have read that the origial 97's, even though they may be marked 2-3/4" are actually not 2-3/4" chambers, but 2-5/8" becuase they used to measure the chamber length "differently" than the way we measure it today.

For that reason, I don't run modern 2-3/4" AA's in my 97's, but instead use 2-1/2" one. (Magtech all brass or AA's I have trimmed back.)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

They never came with 2 1/2' chambers.

That is correct the 93 Winchester was chambered at 2-5/8" until it was discontinued. The 97 Winchester was chambered 2-5/8" during the time the production of the two models overlapped. I have two A model 93's that are 2-5/8's and a B model 97 made in 1899 serial 60xxx that is chambered the same. The B model 97 doesn't have a ejector, a carrier timing screw, or a carrier release button. It does have the 97 ejector pin instead of the 93 style pin which knocks the shell from the grasp of the extractor.

All of my solid frame guns A, B, C, E models have the same length action including the 16 gauges which came with a 28" inch barrel. The port is changed beginning on the 97. The C model and later have a 2-3/4" chamber or more likely guns manufactured in 1900 and later. In 1900 (I believe) there were 4 grades available starting at $27 and up to $100. Custom shop guns could be had up to Pidgeon Grade and barrels to 32" these could be engraved and might cost a whole lot less than we give for a beater 97 now.

Archived