SASS Wire Forum

Goy Gas?

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

With the price of a gallon gasoline reaching $4.29 to $4.39 it seems like I hear some saying they will not travel as far to enjoy the great sport as much and will have to limit their shoots to those

which they say are more economical. What a shame. :wacko::angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yes . . .shud be over in the "saloon" . . but anyhooooo... a few weeks back . . . I'd been down to visit the "Doves & Deperados" down in Julian California .. . and on the way back north need gasoline in "Sunshine Summit" . . and paid $ 5.49 a galon for it. My rig only gets about 9 mile to the gallon. :huh:

My cart fits in the back of my '82 Civic, which gets 43+ mpg. If it goes up much more, even that won't be a viable option though. :( I might have to look into a wood fired steam car soon. :lol:

I just recently traded my 2010 Ford Super Duty F250 diesel for a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500. It's a Flex Fuel so it wil run on E85. Just got my first tankful, $3.19 a gallon. Can't tell any difference between E85 and regular gas, although they say it gets less MPG. See you at the range!

I just bought a new Buick Verano, it gets 32 hgwy and with the back seats folded down my cart and guns fit perfect. I even have room for a pard if they got a small cart. I will curtail my out of town shoots though, I'm stayin local except for maybe in Nov. I'd like to go to No.Carolina or So. Carolina (?) Well see...........

Rye B)

As far as gas prices go, will still go to monthly matches around here, as for traveling to other venues, I won't, haven't did that in 4 years or so, the reason, hotels or motels, bed bugs, don't really care to bring them home, very costly around here to get rid of.

Now as far as E85 gas, may be cheaper, but gas mileage sucks, know several that have E85 vehicles and they just put in regular gas, better mileage, they run E85 for awhile, filled up more and granted the gas was cheaper but when you figure you are filling up more than with regular gas its a wash so to say. YMMV

All for now JD Trampas

My truck gets 10mpg cty/ 13mpg hwy. The gas prices are just another hurdle to deal with. I don't shoot as much as some....Have no plans in changing my shooting habits. Currently I am going to try for (2) shoots a month. Have one match in Indiana in may and the Michigan state championship in September in the line up.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Local shoots are not a problem but traveling is becoming a lot harder. Our regional the 4 corners is quite a ways from me and will take about $800 worth of fuel to go and return that cuts into my budget quite a bit. I would also like to go to the High Plains Regional $500, Northwest Regional $600. I think you understand the problem. If Match Directors (clubs) would take a little more time and plan their big matches so that a person could say shoot 3 or 4 matches for that $800 in fuel it moderates the cost a lot. Look at the Coloardo state shoot followed by either Cortez or the Wild Bunch at EOT and the next weekend EOT followed by HOW. See KK's post for details but that's value for the fuel dollar. Idaho and Oregon used to put on their state shoots one behind the other if they would continue to do that and get Washington on board that would also be a great value. Just my thoughts.

For the first time in a long time, I LOOK at the price and note where the best deals are. Sometimes ya need to think outside the box. NEXT TO an interstate (where I live) bad. Two miles toward the edge of town, 17 cents cheaper. When I noticed that, I did something I NEVER do, bought gas when I didn't really need it (1/4 tank left) since I was already there and wouldn't be out of the way to go get gas. Since that station prices credit same as cash (watch out for that, filled all the way up with my rewards credit card (paid OFF monthly) getting a 1% rebate there. So I knocked 21 cents per gallon off the "handy" price by the freeway, which is a little over $4 on that fill-up. Do that routinely, it helps.

Beyond that, I DO totally fill the tank each time, psychologically avoiding thinking about it so often, AND I use my motorcycle when I can.

Used to be I'd fire the van to go get food, even a few things, as my bike has only a small tail bag and no saddlebags. One of those cloth re-usable shopping bags carried with me, will hold two normal plastic bags of groceries, and simply looping the strong cloth handles over the passenger backrest, hangs off the side of the seat happily to get home.

Even when using the bike, I combine errands and yes, have stopped going to the Post Office every day (I ship two or three days a week now). Need to go to PO? Check fridge first, go to store on same run, using bike if possible.

Oddly, it has been the REDUCTION in US demand and the increase in fuel use worldwide that ultimately foils any "supply and demand" ideas that conservation will increase competition. OUR change to smaller, more efficient cars and trying to reduce fuel USE has moved more US product to offshore sale, leaving US with higher prices when "pinches" in available supply happen anywayy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Maybe it's time for a STIFF export duty on oil? Naw, that would never work, Exxon et al would cry.....

I will still drive to any shoots in my Chevy Trailblazer. I am now retired and am concentrating on enjoying what's left of my life on this planet. As long as I can afford to pay for the gas, I will and will enjoy my life. I had sacrificed my entire life for others and saved monry for when I got old.

DAMMIT!!! I am old.....

I thought you was selling some gentile fuel. ;)

:lol: :lol:

Howdy, Pards,

A couple of times when I fill up my 2003 Ford Expedition, I stand there with both hands raised. Somebody asked me why, and I told 'em I was being mugged...by a gas pump! :o D'ya ever notice the resemblance of the nozzle to a pistol? ;)

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

I am in total agreement that there is more to life than gas mileage and money for that matter. I will say however that you can do more in life or more with your life with more money and better gas mileage. Not only is pinching pennies noisy, they can really scream, but it's harder than pinching dollars.

"There's more to life than gas mileage."

Sticker on the bumper of a really fancy 3/4 ton v-10 pickup.

Yup - I have a F250 with the 3V V10 - my thinking is ya buy these trucks for the capability NOT the gas mileage. ;)

That's just the way it is....with that said, it does suck that so many are being affected by the price in fuel because EVERYTHING gets affected. Inflation here we come....

...and that just ain't cool!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived