SASS Wire Forum

Does value of gun increase if documented in crime?

Ivery Keys #11974

I actually thought about posting this on the Classified section, it might be better served there, but...I recently inherited a shotgun which has documentation that it was used in a crime/murder. Does this increase or decrease the value any?

thanks in advance,

Ivery

Hi Ivery,

On Pawn Stars and Antiques Roadshow, documentation of important or notorious events increases value. So, if you have a copy of a police report identifying the gun by serial number and a newspaper clip of the event, I would expect that the value would be higher than without them. Also, what WBC said.

Regards,

Allie "who loves those shows" Mo

Context, notoriety, condition, the players in attendance at the auction, all play a part in the valuation of a historic firearm. The better the story the better the value.

What is the story?

Olen

Howdy

Only if it can be documented that the gun was used in a case of historic significance.

I attended an auction on Saturday, and this Winchester Model 1866 went for $65,000, because it had lots of documentation proving that it had belonged to a famous outlaw.

Bill Doolin Winchester 1866

Another 1866 in about the same condition went for $4000.

Unfortunately, although the victim might object, collectors are not interested in guns used during the commission of a crime unless it was a historically significant crime or a famous person was involved and provenance can be demonstrated.

Good enough, thanks for the replies. It is a High Standard Pump I believe Huntsman model. It was used in a home defense situation back in the 1960's where the criminal was killed. Have the police report which mentions the shotgun by model and serial #. It is not worth much to begin with, just did not know where to value the thing...

Thanks again,

Ivery

A High Standard Huntsman Model, in good condition, is worth about $200. The documentation would make it worth about $200.00.......................... unless someone famous was shot or doing the shooting. :)

well, notoriety will be key. about 8 to 10 years ago one of my friends purchased a gun that was used in a suicide. he had trouble selling it for what he paid for it. my friend bought it at a fair price and could not turn a profit on it. he moved away so i don't know if he still has it or not.

as the story goes, some young troubled guy, drove into PA, stopped at a range, rented a S&W revolver, a box of ammo, went into the range, loaded one bullet, put the gun to his head and fired. he dies 2 minutes later. lots of witnesses (including LEOs) cause the place was busy. he was a nobody with a problem. the police notched the gun and eventually gave it back to the range owner.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

We used to have a guy in our outfit who worked for the Omaha PD. His job was to destroy all confiscated firearms used in crimes. I think that is stupid as hell. They did not even strip any parts off of them. He was telling how he had cut a like new S&W 629 up with a torch. He didn't feel bad about it. He thought he was doing a good deed. :angry:

There are some PD's that actually auction off confiscated guns. This makes money to fund the department.

Mustang Gregg

Jack Ruby used a Colt Cobra in 38 spl to kill Oswald on 11-24-63. Earl Ruby (Jack's brother) sold that gun for $220,000.00 at auction on 12-26-91. The purchaser was collector Anthony V. Pugliese III of Delray Beach Florida. Don't know if he still owns it though. That sure ain't no Saturday night special. The Cobra is an alloy version of the Detective Special.

Archived