SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Attire Dress codes

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

I love this post. I also think everyone should make an effort. If not, it would be like showing up at a Civil War reenactment in shorts and a polo shirt.

I did tons of research on Levis and what was available back then. Now somebody is making replicas of the old jeans -- high waist, no belt and one back pocket. But, when you look at photos of events you can see many guys wearing jeans, a belt and their rig sits below the belt. I say don't go crazy or broke, but but make a fun attempt. Otherwise, you may as well just go to the range and shoot.

Take note:

"Everybody seems to think we're a period shoot, but we're not. We're a fantasy cowboy acting shoot." - Judge Roy Bean

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are suggesting that today's western Levis or Wrangler jeans with or without belt loops are not appropriate, maybe you need to reread the rules. Geez, I had to read your post twice to make sure it wasn't the CC Editor making your post.

I did read the rules, and if everything is based on late 19th Century clothing, Levis with belt loops were not available. I just did the research to satisfy my own curiosity, and would never put anyone down for wearing pants with belt loops and a belt, although the history of the clothing is just as fascinating as the history of the guns. I have heard of people cutting the belt loops off their jeans and adding buttons for suspenders, so there must be something to this.

Still, I wouldn't say anything to someone who was wearing a ball cap and Nike's, but it would seem out of place except for a spectator.

I did read the rules, and if everything is based on late 19th Century clothing, Levis with belt loops were not available. I just did the research to satisfy my own curiosity, and would never put anyone down for wearing pants with belt loops and a belt, although the history of the clothing is just as fascinating as the history of the guns. I have heard of people cutting the belt loops off their jeans and adding buttons for suspenders, so there must be something to this.

Still, I wouldn't say anything to someone who was wearing a ball cap and Nike's, but it would seem out of place except for a spectator.

Baseball cap and tennis shoes are not allowed...so you should say something unless it's a brand new shooter.

All this "Period Correct" crap can go by the wayside as we are not required to be period correct.

:FlagAm:

You left out the rest of the statement in the Shooters Handbook which includes B Western wear or Western television wear. These surly include jeans with belt loops. You will also note these items are not limited to just B Western category wear. They can be worn in all categories except Classic Cowboy possibly, but if jeans were covered with chaps they would likely be OK there also.

Just being honest, I've noticed it too. The sport has become too gamey. It is definitely not the exciting, laid back, sport that made everyone want to get into it ten years ago. Look at the drama that surrounds every TG meeting, fighting over every little rule in the SASS book, people jockeying for something that can give them an advantage. The clothes have gone by the wayside some too. SASS has never been the "defarb" police that Civil War reenactors and NCOWS are, but you need to make the attempt.

I think a lot of people are in the "out with the old, in with the new" mentality of the modern world, where technology changes every 5 minutes. The allure of SASS is its nostalgia and traditions, and the fact that some things DON'T need to change.

Well, why have I spent the last 18 months getting period firearms, period clothing etc. Saw a photo of a couple who had donned short sleeve shirts (polo shirts I think), shorts and running shows. About the only thing "cowboy" was the hats, the gun cart and some of the guns.

I would not say "cowboy" hats and boots are required, a storekeep would probably feel at home with period shoes and a bowler. Period wear seems to be where I thought we are all to be headed. I was not all that bright when I picked out a period Marine. That in itself, leaves a lot of open territory. Am I to be a "picture book" Marine, or a Marine adapted to my environment. I have been adapting since I selected my alias. Read "Jefferson Davis's Own" to get my drift. They adapted, my costume reflects that adaptaion.

Last time I wore belt loops and pointy-toed boots was the first time I shot a match. I did not even own a SA revolver. Only a Win94 30-30. Believe me, I have been spending and studying for all these past 18 months! It hasn't been cheap or easy. When I head from the range, I am in costume, even when we stop for food and gas, until I get back home.

I can now explain my guns, their history and my clothing and why I am not an 1870's Marine Corps poster boy!

Just being honest, I've noticed it too. The sport has become too gamey. It is definitely not the exciting, laid back, sport that made everyone want to get into it ten years ago. Look at the drama that surrounds every TG meeting, fighting over every little rule in the SASS book, people jockeying for something that can give them an advantage. The clothes have gone by the wayside some too. SASS has never been the "defarb" police that Civil War reenactors and NCOWS are, but you need to make the attempt.

I think a lot of people are in the "out with the old, in with the new" mentality of the modern world, where technology changes every 5 minutes. The allure of SASS is its nostalgia and traditions, and the fact that some things DON'T need to change.

Too gamey? I've had great conversations with folks that have been in this game since it's begining...and it's been gamey from the git-go. Just talk to Tex someday.

Not the exciting, laid back, etc, etc???? Sez you...but not me nor the folks that I shoot with. And believe it or not, folks have been looking for little things that might give them an advantage since the begining...and the VAST majority of the folks that play this game seem to me to be making an effort to dress for the game...sorry their dress don't meet your expectations...but they do probably meet the requirements of SASS.

Sorry you have a negative opinion of the mentality of the modern world...perhaps you are in the "I'm old and I hate all that's new" mentality. Not all that's new is good...and not all that's old is worth keeping.

Cheers!

Phantom

The sport has become too gamey. It is definitely not the exciting, laid back, sport that made everyone want to get into it ten years ago.

That can be said of any virtually any sport on the planet. There are golfers who think things went to hell when they stopped using bamboo to make clubs, when slacks replaced knickers and women were allowed on the links. Golf is dull enough as it is (to me), but think how dull things would be if those folks had their way.

I was on the University of Kansas swim team in college and I can tell you that NCAA and Olympic swimming doesn't look anything like it did then. (The Big 8 Swimming Championships were held in a Kansas farm pond back then! :lol:) Sports evolve to attract new participants and spectators. That doesn't mean I agree with all components of the evolution, but I accept that it's the natural order of things.

Our sport -- like any sport -- is a competition, and humans naturally gravitate toward whatever they can dream up to gain a competitive edge within the rules. If the rules don't accommodate that edge, then humans predictably lobby to change the rules. The tension between the old and new competing interests is why these debates go on and on here on the wire and at all levels of competition, regardless of the game.

Back to the original topic -- I like the costuming and tend to dress like classic cowboy. However, my 28 year old son doesn't give a s**t about the costuming, but is more than willing to meet the minimum requirements to play the game. There's plenty of room in SASS/CAS for both of us to play the game we each prefer without thinking the other isn't "doing it right".

My 2 cents ;)

I agree, this is the reason I got into this sport. Having been a real cowboy, worked on a horse ranch as a teen I grew a respect for a way of life.. I for one believe we had these rules that are plain as day. If ya aint gonna abide by the rules dont play the game.....Its been discussed at our place and some hadnt liked the outcome. But ya know, rules are rules.....

I may not be the fastest shooter, the purdiest shooter, the smoothest talking cow poke out here but I still got my hat and love of the game....

btw, for those of you who know my employ...I still wear a cowboy hat there too....

You may want to invest in or make a boot jack, much less expensive than feeding the young'ns. Added bonus you will not have to be constantly running off cowboys chasen after em.

I completely agree! Wether or not I shoot in a hat is irrelevant to the cowboy way... The cowboy way is how you do things, not what you are wearing.. Shoots are long and hot in Texas, and I don't think I should be required to stay in sweaty boots, just to visit vendors...

I completely disagree...look at folks like Texas Rick O'Shay, Rattlesnake Wrangler...and many other younger folks wearing lot's of "Cowboy" gear...where are you getting this idea that the dress "Code" is going south???

That said, you don't have to dress as a Cowboy to shoot in this game. Most categories don't require a Hat or Boots. Them the rules and they've been there for a while.

Cheers!

Phantom

Grizz, I agree.. The first shoot I was ever at, I left my hat on a table while shooting side matches... I was approached and not very nicely preached to about my clothing by the range master.. I was VERY UPSET! I was wearing a pearl snap shirt, and boots... You know, I came very close to throwing in the towel on SASS... Thankfully the other wonderful shooters kept me from running.. I don't care for the costuming, but I do it so I can shoot with the guns and people I love!

First off, in the 4-5 years I've been in this game, I have not seen any drop off in compliance with the 'dress code,' if anything I've seen folks wearing more in the way of 'costuming.'

Second, we need to be careful not to scare folks off with an over zealous enforcement of the dress code especially at monthly matches. When folks are starting out it may take them a while to get into the flow with their clothing. When I started, I shot in a T shirt, jeans, tennis shoes and a cowboy hat. I was still made to feel welcome and not chastised at every turn for not yet meeting the dress code. As the club annual approached after several months shooting, I was very politely informed that for annuals and above I would need to meet the dress code if I wanted to participate. And that was fine, it was done in a nice way. And, I was able to comply and shoot the annual and have met the dress code when participating in matches ever since.

Lastly, an observation. Many within SASS seem to be hungering for respect as a shooting sport. Still others seem to want very strict 'costuming' requirements to the point of pretty much being historical re-enactors. Part of what attracted me to SASS is the balance between the two without going whole hog either way.

Grizz

That can be said of any virtually any sport on the planet. There are golfers who think things went to hell when they stopped using bamboo to make clubs, when slacks replaced knickers and women were allowed on the links. Golf is dull enough as it is (to me), but think how dull things would be if those folks had their way.

I was on the University of Kansas swim team in college and I can tell you that NCAA and Olympic swimming doesn't look anything like it did then. (The Big 8 Swimming Championships were held in a Kansas farm pond back then! :lol:) Sports evolve to attract new participants and spectators. That doesn't mean I agree with all components of the evolution, but I accept that it's the natural order of things.

Our sport -- like any sport -- is a competition, and humans naturally gravitate toward whatever they can dream up to gain a competitive edge within the rules. If the rules don't accommodate that edge, then humans predictably lobby to change the rules. The tension between the old and new competing interests is why these debates go on and on here on the wire and at all levels of competition, regardless of the game.

Back to the original topic -- I like the costuming and tend to dress like classic cowboy. However, my 28 year old son doesn't give a s**t about the costuming, but is more than willing to meet the minimum requirements to play the game. There's plenty of room in SASS/CAS for both of us to play the game we each prefer without thinking the other isn't "doing it right".

My 2 cents ;)

Wow another Jayhawker!

Let me get this.......If Non-cowboy types are wearin' cowboy hats, you then won't.....But every style of idiot wears baseball caps,front, sideways and backwards and you will continue wearin 'them ....each to their own thinkin I guess.....At least I don't see people with their cowboy hats on side ways to look cool.....I hope it does mot become a fad with the rap people...have you ever seen anything so funny as a white rap artist with a baseball cap on side ways....?????It's a Scream........Tuco.

Oh I have seen cowboy hats tilted to one side. Back in the eary 1990's the sailors from the USS Midway who wore cowboy hats all tilted them to the right slightly. To this day I still haven't figured it out. Just like the latest thing of curling the sides of the brim up so it's taller than the crown. Maybe it's just me, but I have been wearing my boots and hats since I was born and that is getting real close to 40. Ok next friday I am 40 LOL.

Your opinion Kid and obviously based on your personal bias against me. Forgive me if I reject it out of hand.

Now, my maternal grandpa born in 1903 was a farmer all his life and wore overalls more often than not. He had cows, milk and beef, and rode horses all the time. But he never claimed to be a cowboy.

I have seen a few pictures of horse mounted folk in the 19th Century wearing overalls. Maybe they were cowboys, maybe they were sodbusters like grandpa. What I read is that cowboys back then would not wear overalls nor would they wear suspenders. Pretty sure a lot of them wore wild rags, seen more than a few pictures of those.

But I have never seen not even one photo of a nineteenth century cowboy wearing coveralls. Modern cowboys will wear insulated coveralls when it is cold and there are a few (very very few around these parts) who wear overalls. I don't know if they even HAD coveralls in the old west but I'll bet if there were some anywhere cowpokes weren't wearin' 'em.

You do know the difference between the two dontcha Kid? I'm bettin' the Captain does also and was thinkin' overalls but somehow inadvertently typed coveralls. I would be interested to know if that is the case if he would just chime back in.

Yep my Grandpa was the same way. He was born in 1915 in Kansas lived there all his life. He and my grandma ran a cow calf operation. His daily attire every where he went was cowboy boots, overalls and a Co-Op ball cap. He also never claimed to be a cowboy, always said that uncle Bill was. But when we were branding cattle on year we had a guy come to help that swore he knew everything about cows. My grandpa looked and him a said bet your pockets will be full of green stuff by lunch, he was right.

Yep my Grandpa was the same way. He was born in 1915 in Kansas lived there all his life. He and my grandma ran a cow calf operation. His daily attire every where he went was cowboy boots, overalls and a Co-Op ball cap. He also never claimed to be a cowboy, always said that uncle Bill was. But when we were branding cattle on year we had a guy come to help that swore he knew everything about cows. My grandpa looked and him a said bet your pockets will be full of green stuff by lunch, he was right.

Sorry!

City gal here. What is the green stuff you speak of. My guess is grass or cow poop. :unsure:

This is my first year shootin' SASS and after readin' all these posts, I just have a couple of things to say. I'm all for dressin' period, but you have to give new people some time to acquire everything. I wear everything period (even spurs) except for the pants. It's not that I don't want to wear them, but they can be quite pricey and I have to buy a little at a time. Right now I wear black Wrangler's and with my rig on, I don't think anybody notices or they just haven't said anything. Part of what allured me to SASS was the clothing worn.

This is my first year shootin' SASS and after readin' all these posts, I just have a couple of things to say. I'm all for dressin' period, but you have to give new people some time to acquire everything. I wear everything period (even spurs) except for the pants. It's not that I don't want to wear them, but they can be quite pricey and I have to buy a little at a time. Right now I wear black Wrangler's and with my rig on, I don't think anybody notices or they just haven't said anything. Part of what allured me to SASS was the clothing worn.

It took me a few years to start getting the 'look' I wanted - it's a process and things take time ;)

GG ~:FlagAm:

Sorry!

City gal here. What is the green stuff you speak of. My guess is grass or cow poop. :unsure:

Allie you said it right on the second one. When you have to physically get behind that ole cow and push them into the chute, they will cover you from chest down. You just pray it's not too early in the spring when they start to eat green Alfa.

Why would anyone say anything about black Wranglers, they are perfectly legal. Read the rules.

Oh I have seen cowboy hats tilted to one side. Back in the eary 1990's the sailors from the USS Midway who wore cowboy hats all tilted them to the right slightly. To this day I still haven't figured it out. Just like the latest thing of curling the sides of the brim up so it's taller than the crown. Maybe it's just me, but I have been wearing my boots and hats since I was born and that is getting real close to 40. Ok next friday I am 40 LOL.

Lots of the TV cowboys back in the 50 and 60s tilted their hats to the right. No clue why the Midway sailors did

I've been shooting in S.A.S.S. for nearly ten years now. The only real change I see is they outlawed the '93 Winchester pump shotgun and the '98 Marlin pump shotgun. The different and new or no longer recognised categories don't amount to a hill of beans except to those who can't handle change. I'll dress as I chose to and as long as it is within the rules and guidelines for the category I'm participating in it's none of anyone elses business. For the rest of you, the same is true for me. It's not my problem!! :lol::lol:

I've been shooting in S.A.S.S. for nearly ten years now. The only real change I see is they outlawed the '93 Winchester pump shotgun and the '98 Marlin pump shotgun. The different and new or no longer recognised categories don't amount to a hill of beans except to those who can't handle change. I'll dress as I chose to and as long as it is within the rules and guidelines for the category I'm participating in it's none of anyone elses business. For the rest of you, the same is true for me. It's not my problem!! :lol::lol:

...and here I thought that you wuz the clothing police!!!! <_<

At WR 2010 our entire posse, save one, were dressed to the nines. He was wearing minimal attire and his hat and boots looked like he had been drug behind a truck. Turns out he was a real working cowboy. So much for others putting down those who dress to the minimum. :lol:

I don't mind dressing in "cowboy clothes" I do it on a daily basis. Sometimes more toward B western, other times full 1880's attire. It draws questions and I answer all who ask. What I don't understand is the "fad" of painted straw cowboy hats that some country singers(I will not name names)seem to wear. But, folks are going to wear what they want to. It is like the old adage: you can lead the horse to water, but you can't force it drink.

Wow. All the opinions floating around out there. Rules are the bob-wire fences Cowpokes cussed, I s'pose. Two parts of the rules that are interesting to consider starts with how a shooter holds, cocks, and fires a revolver. The second part of the rules that is interesting is to consider the age based costuming rules.

The revolver firing stance wherein a shooter is using a two-handed "cock and fire" is actually more safe than a one-handed. The average single hand shooter pulls the muzzle upwards to reach the hammer. If the trigger is engaged early, it can cause a round to be discharged at up to a 45 degree angle. IMHO I'd like to see all classes that call for single-hand holds be modified to allow two-handed firing where the off hand cocks the hammer and the main hand fires the weapon.

Here is what the rule book says about age based classes:

AGE BASED

• Any Main Match revolver.

• Revolvers may be shot any style except Gunfighter.

• May use any SASS–legal main match shotgun and any main match rifle.

• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.

• Forty-Niners are competitors 49 years of age or greater.

• Seniors are competitors 60 years of age or greater.

• Senior Duelist is also a recognized Senior Category.

Senior Duelist category shooters may use any SASS–legal

firearm or ammunition but must shoot Duelist or Double-Duelist Style only.

• Silver Seniors, are competitors 65 years of age or greater.

• Elder Statesmen/Grand Dames are competitors 70 years of age or greater.

These are the only citations. As for costuming, I see two overall categories. The shooters who are going to Frontier, or Classic, or B-Western or one of the others should come pretty close but that no one should be kicked off the range if they are not perfect. I see one exception, see below. As for age based ... the whole she-bang should relax. I am in agreement that Cowboy/Cowgirl costuming should be a minimum. The BUT here is this, for me: BUT ... as long as a shooter is close, more or less, then it should be just doggone fine that he/she is attending and having fun. That is, to me, all that matters. And if he/she is an Elder ... Hallelujah!! Wear whatever covers and feels good.

The only exception to the "if it feels good and is reasonably close to period" view would be for formals. These would be banquets, award dinners, outings, and community meetings. For these showcase events, then, by all means be totally period correct because the attendee becomes a community ambassador for their club, for SASS, and for CAS in general.

...The only exception to the "if it feels good and is reasonably close to period" view would be for formals. These would be banquets, award dinners, outings, and community meetings. For these showcase events, then, by all means be totally period correct because the attendee becomes a community ambassador for their club, for SASS, and for CAS in general.

Hi Kid,

I don't think "totally period correct" is necessary in our fantasy sport. A psuedo-Victorian dress or or pants with zippers can represent our sport very well. That said, the longer I've been around, the more PC I try to be. I feel that "totally period correct" is only essential in a Costume Contest with that as a criteria.

I have great respect for all who try harder to be PC. It is just that some of the expertise in that area takes time to develop.

I hope to never hear another story like the following. A dear lady friend of mine was in the audience at a costume seminar and the speaker used her as an example of a period mismatched outfit. Hey, what came before is fair game later. If a lady has an 1890s hat on with an 1880s costume, I would not want her to be shamed because she hadn't discovered the nuances of 19th century costuming. Also, if you search hard enough in fashion plates or old photographs, you can find exceptions to the trends found in the popular magazines of the day.

Pard, these comments are not directed at you. They are just some random thoughts that your post evoked from me. You have a right to that opinion. I just would omit the word "totally." :)

Regards,

Allie Mo

The only exception to the "if it feels good and is reasonably close to period" view would be for formals. These would be banquets, award dinners, outings, and community meetings. For these showcase events, then, by all means be totally period correct because the attendee becomes a community ambassador for their club, for SASS, and for CAS in general.

I have never seen a requirement or rule requiring a shooter to dress differently for banquets, awards, or other than for shooting. Most do but some do not and only have shooting clothes. Are you suggesting they not attend in shooting clothes?

Sometimes folks rag on me for the hat I'm wearing in this pic...

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m625/HKUriah/Shooting/?action=view&current=SheriffBuntline.jpg

...but I never let it bother me.

So, is this cowboy enough of an outfit?

Dear H.K.,

I would not let it bother me, nor would I consider it "stylin'." Now if you had two Buntlines...

Regards,

Allie Mo

Sometimes folks rag on me for the hat I'm wearing in this pic...

http://s1135.photobu...iffBuntline.jpg

...but I never let it bother me.

So, is this cowboy enough of an outfit?

Doesn't bother me - nice 'pistol' too.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Heh heh...

When I first got the Buntline, someone suggested I should pair it with a Sheriif's model for contrast. (Instead of the Nagant I used the first time I took it to a shoot)

Well that suggestion took to heart, and I soon picked up the Sherrif's.

This is the outfit/guns I use when I am trying to be a little more "playful" on any particular day. Over time, I have added a 17.5" 92 with a John Wayne loop.

The hat, I feel, adds a good amount of goofiness to the contrasting pistols.

On the other hand, I just picked up another Sheriff's model, and I may try them as a pair at a more serious shoot sometime.

Heh heh...

When I first got the Buntline, someone suggested I should pair it with a Sheriif's model for contrast. (Instead of the Nagant I used the first time I took it to a shoot)

Well that suggestion took to heart, and I soon picked up the Sherrif's.

This is the outfit/guns I use when I am trying to be a little more "playful" on any particular day. Over time, I have added a 17.5" 92 with a John Wayne loop.

The hat, I feel, adds a good amount of goofiness to the contrasting pistols.

On the other hand, I just picked up another Sheriff's model, and I may try them as a pair at a more serious shoot sometime.

Why? You won't get nearly as much attention. :lol:

So Kid

Now you're saying shooting dualist is unsafe and should be outlawed!! I don't know what kind of loads they shoot where you are, but if the pistol is coming up that high they must be stout.

Dualist is the closest thing there is to how most cow person's would have shot back in the day. If it was unsafe, SASS wouldn't allow it.

I shoot dualist and if you don't shoot high limit loads and know what your doing it's no worse than another shooting style. Check out gunfighter!

Ike

Dear Ike,

This is not really to you, rather it is a train of thought brought on by your post.

IMO, it's not that Duelist or GF style is unsafe. It is just that some folks are not safe shooting with a one-handed grip. I will tell you tales when I see you. :rolleyes:;)

Oh heck, why hold back. One Duelist I've shot with had such stout loads and used the recoil to enable him to cock (he should have used smaller pistols and lighter loads) that he shot a round over the berm.

I also remember an elderly GF who did the same. Nothing bad happened the day we shot with him. However, his lack of control and apparent weak hands/wrists frightened me.

At the SASS Convention, there was a small boy and his father in Holy Terror's class with me. The father wanted his son to shoot Duelist and mentioned using the recoil as an aid to cocking. Holy Terror, bright girl that she is, would not comment. Can you imagine a small person without the strength in his/her hands or wrists shooting D or GF. It might be okay with light loads and small guns...

IMO, a person shooting those two styles should use pistols and loads they can cock without the barrel pointed in the air.

BTW, you are on "my" posse at DG@AC. :) See ya soon!!!

Allie Mo "Mo" (More on my new alias at the match...)

PS I hope this post hasn't offended you. :)

Archived