SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Attire Dress codes

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

I guess the thing that wore seriously on me was in the Chronicle. The lady that had gone "steam punk" in dress and was featured in the Chronicle to boot. That garb wasn't "cowperson" at all. Might as well wore a Grateful Dead T-shirt and shorts, with high top Nikes, and a Shady Brady hat. MHO

Al

Are you kidding me! That was absolutely fantastic! There was a lady who was willing to take the whole

"Dress up and play make believe" thing to a whole new and wonderful place. Instead of a bunch of guys

buying the same old period clothes from the same old vendors, she was inventing some wonderful stuff.

She was also shooting her cowboy guns at a match. How wonderful! She was making her fantasy come

true - even if it wasn't yours!

This is not a reenactment society, and until folks actually accept that, there will continue to be a problem

between those who are playing their own game, and those who want you to play their game.

I like Steampunk - it's brilliant, and a lot more creative than an over the counter store bought

costume any day of the week! Unless what you want is for us all to be different in the same way . . . .

SC

BTW - there is a lot of mythology around Steampunk, most of it as make believe as the Hollywood westerns

we hold in esteem, and it is as reasonable and as fun as any Hollywood western. If you can embrace Hollywood

and the B western films, then you can embrace Steam . . . . Don't even get me started on Sukiyaki Western D'Jango . . .

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've dressed as a cavalry sergeant, town fancy, farmer, working cowboy and even Mexican peon. I've worn all manner of hats, sombreros, derbies and such and several different kinds of footwear including hi-top boots, ropers, moccasin boots, mule-eared boots and low-top moccasins. Nobody has ever complained to me that I wasn't "cowboy" enough. Even if they had, I would politely (well, politely for me) told them to mind their own business.

Current health concerns have forced me to restrict my footwear choice to low moccasins. I don't feel I need to apologize to anyone for my choice. Like Phantom says, stop trying to make people shoot the way YOU want them to.

Are you kidding me! That was absolutely fantastic! There was a lady who was willing to take the whole

"Dress up and play make believe" thing to a whole new and wonderful place. Instead of a bunch of guys

buying the same old period clothes from the same old vendors, she was inventing some wonderful stuff.

She was also shooting her cowboy guns at a match. How wonderful! She was making her fantasy come

true - even if it wasn't yours!

This is not a reenactment society, and until folks actually accept that, there will continue to be a problem

between those who are playing their own game, and those who want you to play their game.

I like Steampunk - it's brilliant, and a lot more creative than an over the counter store bought

costume any day of the week! Unless what you want is for us all to be different in the same way . . . .

SC

BTW - there is a lot of mythology around Steampunk, most of it as make believe as the Hollywood westerns

we hold in esteem, and it is as reasonable and as fun as any Hollywood western. If you can embrace Hollywood

and the B western films, then you can embrace Steam . . . . Don't even get me started on Sukiyaki Western D'Jango . . .

Amen Brother!

I would guess that some shooters have never seen the movie "Wild, Wild West" starring Will Smith.

I admit I laugh a lot at the way most shooters dress at matches. A bunch of overweight old guys dressed up in like new clean clothes, new store brought hat, chaps, spurs (for groundpounders), new leather, None of this is even close to how real "cowboys" (which is actually a insult in the 19th century) who were on the bottom of the social economic scale. I really laugh when it starts to rain and all the hat condoms come out. It is like a pretty girl wearing a new swim suit but refusing to get it wet cause she might ruin it.

Which is not to say I look equally silly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have dressed in what is sold in stores as western wear most of my life. My first boots were given to me by my father who was a bricklayer. He was away from home and working in Topeka, Kansas. The boots were a gift because of my love for all things western.

I read every book I could check out from our local library that was about the true history of the west.

The books were quite different from the early Saturday morning westerns on TV in the 50's and early 60's which I grew up in.

I always wore these clothes to school and can only say, I was the person of many tauting and jokes. Western wear was not cool in the early years of Rock& Roll.

Bill Haley and his Comets were #1 on the radio charts. Then came the wanna be bars with the plastic bulls in the 80's that almost made me quit wearing my clothes of choice because everyone had jumped on the train.

The fad was over and I finally was able to wear my clothes again. When I started shooting SASS, I already had the hats and boots(several pair) but not the suspender pants that are considered the real thing.

If a person who has a medical problem, I'm diabetic myself then they should be able to shoot in what shoes they can wear.

That is as far as I will go with being period correct. If you have been in this game for awhile and don't have a good reason for not wearing the clothes then don't shoot.

I don't mean you have to have to look like a wrangler, as has been posted they had many town folks who lived then also. Just dress in something that is not from present day dress.

As far as accepting awards in street clothes, I don't agree with that either. You have worn the clothes to shoot in so you can wait to remove them.

I have never seen myself but I'm low on funds and don't make the big matches out west.I have never seen anyone do this all the way up to our State Match.Everyone stays in dress, even when going out to eat. Gives the locals something to stare at.

Just remove the expensive sunglasses for the photo.

You may go to a second hand store and buy clothes that would pass for some type of person from the 19th century.

To me it comes under the spirit of the game. If you want to wear t-shirts and Niki shoes, then shoot one of the modern shooting matches.

I've dressed as a cavalry sergeant, town fancy, farmer, working cowboy and even Mexican peon. I've worn all manner of hats, sombreros, derbies and such and several different kinds of footwear including hi-top boots, ropers, moccasin boots, mule-eared boots and low-top moccasins. Nobody has ever complained to me that I wasn't "cowboy" enough. Even if they had, I would politely (well, politely for me) told them to mind their own business.

Current health concerns have forced me to restrict my footwear choice to low moccasins. I don't feel I need to apologize to anyone for my choice. Like Phantom says, stop trying to make people shoot the way YOU want them to.

You fergot to mention the grass skirt and coconut bra.

:blink:

Here in the Colorado Outback, which is the Real Real West except with medicinal marijuana, we all aspire to dress like Brother King!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

I tried that once. Darn near broke my neck trying to put my pants on both legs at once. :wacko:

My reference to cowboy boots was the version we see now that we're created for people in the saddle all day. Longed tows to find the stirrup, high heel to leverage against the stirrup, tall to keep out whatever you ran into. And they weren't meant to walk long distances. The boot you were referring to was worn by most anyone. Farmers, miners, etc. they have never been a version of what modern folks consider "cowboy" boots.

Ike

I had the luxury of buying one brand spanking new Wah Maker shirt when I started. To expand my wardrobe, I bought some shirts at Goodwill for $2.50/ea. and a pair of cowboy boots for $15. I wore an Aussie wide brim hat until I bought a cowboy hat later on. I always looked forward to the bigger matches that had vendors and over time, got a nice assortment of duds. The wife says I have a hat fetish. I don't know about that, but I ran out of room on the hat tree I built.

The great thing about SASS is you can pursue the game you're into and others can do the same. ;)

And then there was the lady I recall that insisted that anyone showing up in a modern wheel chair to shoot should cover it up with a period blanket so they did not offend anyone's historical myth. Wonder how long it will take the historical clothing zealots to stomp on this thread? Then there was the very long thread a while back insisting that every shooter had to wear a hat because it just wasn't right not doing so as a cowboy no matter what the rules required.

And then there was the lady I recall that insisted that anyone showing up in a modern wheel chair to shoot should cover it up with a period blanket so they did not offend anyone's historical myth. Wonder how long it will take the historical clothing zealots to stomp on this thread? Then there was the very long thread a while back insisting that every shooter had to wear a hat because it just wasn't right not doing so as a cowboy no matter what the rules required.

You recall incorrectly, she did not insist anything!

She said that is what her husband does.

Some would disagree. Over the years I have had two different brands of Ropers, two pair of mule ear knee high boots from Ft Western, three pairs of custom made CAS boots including a pair of Earthwalkers, two pairs of modern western boots, and they all made my feet hurt. Finally found a pair of all leather hiking boots from Cabelas which do not make my feet hurt so that is all I wear now for CAS. I would not continue to shoot with sore feet. At my age and size my feet and legs are more important than anything. For non CAS wear I have a hard time there also. I should point out I have had diabetes for 35 years without foot problems and do not intend to start now. I wear a 15 EEE, which makes it all even harder. I don't give a rip what anyone wear on their feet to shoot as long as they are not hurting their feet.

I hear ya pard. I wore a pair of Buffalo Runner or custom made Olathe high tops to every match & by the end of the day I couldn't wait to get to the truck & put on my moccasins. Then at Hell on Wheels '02 the lady that owned The Fort sold me a pair of Tony Llama shooters boots and fitted them properly to my feet. At the end of

the next day my feet were tired but they didn't hurt. Proper fitting foot gear is very important for comfort.

You recall incorrectly, she did not insist anything!

She said that is what her husband does.

Allie, thank you for pointing out what I also remember... Unfortunately what she said has been taken out of context too many times

Allie, thank you for pointing out what I also remember... Unfortunately what she said has been taken out of context too many times

Thank you, Sister, for supporting us! I "heard" that she no longer wishes to post here after all the rudeness that came her way after that thread. :(

:wub:

Allie

Thank you, Sister, for supporting us! I "heard" that she no longer wishes to post here after all the rudeness that came her way after that thread. :(

:wub:

Allie

I was afraid that was what happened. I hope she doesn't stop shooting

What a shame that a quite thick skin is required to participate here. I'm glad to have rhino hide. Ain't nobody gonna intimidate me or run me off. I forget that lady's name but I always enjoyed her inputs. She should return and stand up to our wire bullies.

I really have no use for the costume police personally, and I think that we need to keep in mind that the West had people from all different walks of life and backgrounds and we need to take that into consideration. I do believe that if people want to participate they need to make an effort to dress in a manner appropriate to the era and their classification and character. I have no use for someone wearing a ball cap as a shooter and would be rather pointed, abrupt and rude to someone who tried it. That said, I have no problem with someone wearing non-designer jeans, long sleeeve shirt, lace-up shoes or moccasins and an appropriate hat for the era (bowler, straw, felt, slouch, etc. Most westerners did not wear fancy duds for daily purpose and certainly didn't have all the clap-trap and "bling" that some folk feel is necessary, or mandatory to be in the SOG (Bovine Fecal Matter!).

I really have no use for the costume police personally, and I think that we need to keep in mind that the West had people from all different walks of life and backgrounds and we need to take that into consideration. I do believe that if people want to participate they need to make an effort to dress in a manner appropriate to the era and their classification and character. I have no use for someone wearing a ball cap as a shooter and would be rather pointed, abrupt and rude to someone who tried it. That said, I have no problem with someone wearing non-designer jeans, long sleeeve shirt, lace-up shoes or moccasins and an appropriate hat for the era (bowler, straw, felt, slouch, etc. Most westerners did not wear fancy duds for daily purpose and certainly didn't have all the clap-trap and "bling" that some folk feel is necessary, or mandatory to be in the SOG (Bovine Fecal Matter!).

Hats are not required except for CC and BW.

'course you know that.

:FlagAm:

Some of you could really benefit by getting out and about...experience other clubs and expand your experience of CAS.

SASS is NOT about being Period Correct...nor is it about dressing strictly as a COWBOY.

OY!

All right maybe I was not clear on "cowboy attire" ...I didn't know what else to call it...I didn't hear anyone say"SASS is about being period correct ...nor Did I hear anyone say dress strictly COWBOY.....I referred to it as "cowboy"..Not knowing what to call it......Cowboy/indian /1800's /What?apparel????Is this called "cowboy action shooting "???????ain't it more a "generic" term??????I haven't read anything here that was tryin' to force anyone to do anything....I think the term "cowboy" is a general way to describe what we do.....is could be british solder,french canadian trapper.....What is the correct name for what we wear??????I"m sure you will be happy to straighten us out......Tuco.

All right maybe I was not clear on "cowboy attire" ...I didn't know what else to call it...I didn't hear anyone say"SASS is about being period correct ...nor Did I hear anyone say dress strictly COWBOY.....I referred to it as "cowboy"..Not knowing what to call it......Cowboy/indian /1800's /What?apparel????Is this called "cowboy action shooting "???????ain't it more a "generic" term??????I haven't read anything here that was tryin' to force anyone to do anything....I think the term "cowboy" is a general way to describe what we do.....is could be british solder,french canadian trapper.....What is the correct name for what we wear??????I"m sure you will be happy to straighten us out......Tuco.

I would suggest re-reading this thread if you think no one wants to force anything.

Call it SASS appropriate wear...oh, and I didn't know that there was a Group of ya...us???

HA!

:lol:

Copied directly from the SASS web site "Cowboy Action Shooting" page:

"One of the unique aspects of SASS approved Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on costuming. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, a Hollywood western star, or an appropriate character from fiction. Their costume is then developed accordingly. Many event participants gain more enjoyment from the costuming aspect of our sport than from the shooting competition, itself."

You fergot to mention the grass skirt and coconut bra.

:blink:

That's hot.

Copied directly from the SASS web site "Cowboy Action Shooting" page:

"One of the unique aspects of SASS approved Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on costuming. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, a Hollywood western star, or an appropriate character from fiction. Their costume is then developed accordingly. Many event participants gain more enjoyment from the costuming aspect of our sport than from the shooting competition, itself."

So what is the penalty for the cowboy that just likes to shoot and shows up with jeans, a flannel shirt, work boots and a floppy old cowboy rodeo hat of some sort. His SASS alias does not meet the above guidelines either but SASS accepted it. Are you going to let him shoot every month that way? Of course you are, you have no grounds to make him change.

If you don't dress period then it's not Cowboy Action Shooting, it's 19th Century Gun Shooting. Just sayin'

...my Sunday go to meetin' clothes are my formal cowboy clothes... ...but of course I ain't got nothing that folks wouldn't call cowboy clothes anyway... some ain't as formal, more like been ridin' trail for a week or 3...

I completely disagree...look at folks like Texas Rick O'Shay, Rattlesnake Wrangler...and many other younger folks wearing lot's of "Cowboy" gear...where are you getting this idea that the dress "Code" is going south???

That said, you don't have to dress as a Cowboy to shoot in this game. Most categories don't require a Hat or Boots. Them the rules and they've been there for a while.

Cheers!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Phantom....Did you just say"Cowboy Gear"........Shouldn't you have said they were wearing"SASS appropriate Gear"......I wouldn't want to force anything on anybody....When you use words like"stop" and "you people should get out there and do something" You're the only one telling people what to do right....."us are the ones that used the would "cowboy" in the thread...I guess You called it cowboy gear too........Glad you're one of "us"...........Tuco

So what is the penalty for the cowboy that just likes to shoot and shows up with jeans, a flannel shirt, work boots and a floppy old cowboy rodeo hat of some sort. His SASS alias does not meet the above guidelines either but SASS accepted it. Are you going to let him shoot every month that way? Of course you are, you have no grounds to make him change.

Penalty? None. I believe all of the above atire as you described falls within the guidelines of a 19th century persona (carpenter, farmer, ranch hand, etc.) as long as the hat is not a "shady Brady" with rhinestones, feathers, beads, etc. and the workboots, gun belts, holsters, etc., are leather and not nylon as SASS rules state. Would I let him shoot? Yup!

Amen Brother!

I would guess that some shooters have never seen the movie "Wild, Wild West" starring Will Smith.

I admit I laugh a lot at the way most shooters dress at matches. A bunch of overweight old guys dressed up in like new clean clothes, new store brought hat, chaps, spurs (for groundpounders), new leather, None of this is even close to how real "cowboys" (which is actually a insult in the 19th century) who were on the bottom of the social economic scale. I really laugh when it starts to rain and all the hat condoms come out. It is like a pretty girl wearing a new swim suit but refusing to get it wet cause she might ruin it.

Which is not to say I look equally silly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

While I really liked the TV show with Robert Conrad, I have not seen the Will Smith version and have no desire to see it.

I shot my first SASS match this past weekend. Not one person commented in a negative manner about my mud boots, jeans, etc.

They were all much more interested in making sure I had a good time, understood the rules, and had a good time.

I decided that before the next match I would pick up some odds and ends but, I believe the folks at the local club here would accept me however I showed up.

As for the people bashing Steampunk, the original Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad and Ross Martin is considered one of the seminal Steampunk TV shows. If you dont know what Steampunk is, ask... easy to explain in a few words or less.

As I work on my gun cart, there is plenty of brass, copper, and other metals in/on it to give it the Steampunk feel.

I shot my first SASS match this past weekend. Not one person commented in a negative manner about my mud boots, jeans, etc.

They were all much more interested in making sure I had a good time, understood the rules, and had a good time.

I decided that before the next match I would pick up some odds and ends but, I believe the folks at the local club here would accept me however I showed up.

:) Yep! That is the way it is with the VAST majority of SASS shooters.

I'm beginning to think that anything other than this is a myth perpetrated by SASS Wire Idjits or Maroons. :blink:;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Welcome Pard!

How 'bout, can I wear my Air Jordan Tennie-Lamas, wif my baggy jeans down to my knees wif my flower-sack draws showin, and my hoodie in case it rains? Is that cowboy enuf, or do I need ta have a hat on over the hoodie? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh you're definately going to need a hat over all that. And stop tying your shoes, it ain't authentic (at least not in da hood).

Archived