SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Attire Dress codes

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've worn and still wear cowboy boots a lot of the time ever since I was a kid.I wear tennis shoes and work boots too in my everyday life,but my cowboy boots are what I'm used to.Wearing them and a hat for a match is no big deal for me.We have a few shooters that can't wear them due to foot problems and that's fine as far as I'm concerned.Used to wear a cowboy hat most of the time too,then the movie Urban Cowpuke came out.Right after that everyone was driving jacked up 4x4's and wearing a cowboy hat.99% of them wouldn't know what a cow or horse looked like if one came up and bit em on the butt.That's when no hat or a baseball cap became my everyday choice of head gear.

I keep it simple, jeans, suspenders, long sleeve shirt, and hat. I used to wear cowboy boots, but peripheral neuropothy in my feet and legs make that impossible. The only shoes I can wear are athletic shoes with Velcro straps cuz my feet swell up.

Howdy Pards: Lately I been readin' alot on the wire about Not being required to wear western hats .or duds unless you are on the line,etc........Seems like people are tryin' to take the "Cowboy" out of action shooting...I was of the understanding that you were to be in costume from the time you enter the shoot until you leave....Thinkin we there to promote the Cowboy way!!!!!!......."Are the times changing???Are we to old to wear cowboy boots and a hat???I would be interested in how other Pards feel about this..."do as you feel trend"...Love to hear your thoughts on this...From a REAL RANCHER since the late fifties......Tuco.(AM I just out of style)....God Bless You All.........

I guess the thing that wore seriously on me was in the Chronicle. The lady that had gone "steam punk" in dress and was featured in the Chronicle to boot. That garb wasn't "cowperson" at all. Might as well wore a Grateful Dead T-shirt and shorts, with high top Nikes, and a Shady Brady hat. MHO

Al

One Club I shoot at and am a member off,requires that you meet SASS minium clothing guidelines to recieve your award or to win any door prizes ...

Seems that Folks just STAY in charater there till they pull out of the gate ,,,, and lot's arrive and leave dressed to shoot ...

Abunch of us stopped fer supper at a Chinese Place on the way home ,,,,,,, 3 Classic Cowboys ,Two Classic Cowgirls and a right Proper "Victorian Lady" ....

Sure brought out lot's of smiles from da citizens ...

Jabez Cowboy

Because of health issues I have done away with chaps, spurs, wrist cuffs and stovepipe boots. I have started wearing the ariat ropers that have the running shoe footbed. Period correct on the outside and comfortable on the inside. I still wear enough to qualify for CC if I so choose. I have not seen any trend to really dress down at local matches.

Running Bare don't wear a hat...cuz her "Character" is an INDIAN!!!

Stop trying to make folks play the game the way YOU want it played.

:FlagAm:

Quit beatin' yer noggin' a'gin the wall, some folks'll never "get it"! From either extreme.

For me, dressing the part is half the fun. I can't outshoot anyone, so I'm workin on outdressing them. That's proving to be as much of a challenge as outshooting them. We've got some mighty fine dressers here in N. Alabama. But I would be hard pressed to find something I enjoy more than dressing the part and walking around on the range. I leave the house in costume and I stay that way till I return. If I could, I'd wear that costume to work every day, guns and all.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Hi Tuco,

I don't know if things are changing or not. :unsure:

The only thing that bothers me is folks who wear Outlawed items to matches. I've seen ball caps and T-shirts locally. :angry: (Edit: I'm not talking about new shooters.)

About hats and certain rifles, the hat can be a safety measure. A friend who shoots a '73 forgot her hat ONCE. Twice that day, she got a shell stuck between her glasses and her face. She hasn't forgot it since. My first year, I rarely wore one. Then one day I got a terrible sunburn where my part was. I have now accumulated many hats. Of course others can do what they like.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Ruthless Ruthie had that happen a couple of years ago at GBJL. She hasnt forgotten a hat since

:FlagAm:

I have worn cowboy boots and hats since I don't know when. I am getting away from them a little. I some times wear Greek Fisherman style cap, Yes it is period correct. It also stays on the in wind better than others. Boots I would love to still wear. But I do have foot trouble. Which was made fun of on of the first threads. I have diabetes II. If some one has a problem with the way I dress they can talk to me at shoot. If the are going to grip about it they better have a copy of the rule book and be prepared for an ear full and listen to me laugh heartly at them. ^_^ I hardly ever laugh.

Especially at someone else.

Crosscut Jack

B)

As one who was somewhat leary of the SASS costuming requirements when I first got started, I have become comfortable with what I wear. I would say I am somewhat in the middle ground between minimalist and NCOWS authentic. I agree with the folks who say boots and a cowboy hat are not required, except for two costumed-based shooting categories - Classic Cowboy and B-Western. I wrote an article that talks about costuming requiremets for the next issue of the Agarita Gazette, the monthly newsletter of the Plum Creek Shooting Society in Lockhart, Texas. For the article, I carefully reviewed the current edition of the SASS Shooters Handbook. Here is what the Handbook says, using the actual words, if all the sentences are not in exactly the same order.

"SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

Cowboy Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. All shooters must be in costume. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series. ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

Specifically “outlawed”:

• Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. Long sleeved Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.

• Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys). Straw hats of traditional design (e.g., Stetson, Bailey, sombreros,) are acceptable.

• Designer jeans

• Ball caps

• All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed.

• Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments."

All of that means we should attempt to be period correct or faithful to the movie or TV show we use as our guide. If not wearing boots, wear something worn in the second half of the 19th century, a B-Western movie or a TV western. It is "cowboy" action shooting so most of us wear cowboy gear, but that does not mean shop owner, doctor/lawyer, schoolmarm, banker, farmer, etc. will not work. Most men wore a hat, whether they were wearing boots or not. We all should honor the Spirit of the Game", but we also must recognize that not everyone can afford or wants to play total dress-up when shooting in a cowboy action shooting match. Be a minimalist if you want, but at least avoid the "outlawed" items. On the other hand, as an earlier article I wrote for the Gazette said about 19th century authenticity, "try it; you might find that you like it" and get more out of our great sport.

For anyone interested in reading the articles I wrote, the most recent article ("Advice for New Shooters") will appear in the April 2012 issue of the Agarita Gazette. The earlier article, "Looking the Part: Cowboy Dress" appeared in the June 2011 issue. Issues of the Gazette are available at www.tarryhollowgang.com. Click on the tab for the Agarita Gazette and then click on the link for the June 2011 issue. The article starts on the second page. The April 2012 issue will "go to press" and be uploaded in mid-April.

I'm thinking the "Cowboy Way" is how someone acts, not how they're dressed. And part of the "Cowboy Way" is not trying to force my views on other people. If they're following the rules, I leave them be. :FlagAm:

+1

I like to dress the part, but don't much care what other's wear as long as they abide by the rules.

Cowboy boots can be just as comfortable as shoes with the right heel. Buy Ropers. They have a regular flat heel. Or you can take your boots to a shoe repair shop and have the undershot riding heel removed and a flat one put on. Hats can be straw (lighter & cooler) in the summer. They don't have to be felt. If you're bald like me, or thin on top, you better darn sure wear a hat at all times when you're outside, not just when cowboy shooting. Over exposure to the sun can and will cause skin cancer and certain types of skin cancer can be terminal. IOWS, FATAL! It's cheaper than paying for cancer treatments or funerals, even if you have insurance.

If cost is a factor, go 2nd hand. There are some bargains in the SASS Classifieds. Excuses are like noses, everyone has one. Some people just hate to conform, even if it's only a few hours a month. ;)

The unfortunate part about the perception of the clothing requirements is "most" people base their opinions on what they watched as kids and later on TV and in the movies. Unfortunately they weren't historically correct. And I know this isn't NCOWS.

The cowboy hats of today and the high heeled tall boots are a 20th century invention. If you look at old pictures people were wearing whatever they could get their hands on, cheaply. Other than a "shady Brady" and baseball caps you can put anything you want on your head that looks like someone might have worn from 1830 to 2012. And or nothing. There's a guy who shoots winter range. He's also barefooted and wears Bibb overalls and a top hat. Does he fit the era? Damn right he does.

Cowboy boots, Jean's, and a plaid long sleeve shirt is what people perceive cowboys wore. Ain't so.

Ike who wears 5 different types of hats including a WW1 helmet to a cowboy shoot. Long story.

Maybe it's just me. I joined this group because of the outfits. I wear cowboy outfits on a daily basis from about 1968 on and some before that. I don't own a suit but I do own about 35 cowboys hats and 80 cowboy shirts and a dozen cowboy boots. I just can't get it out of my blood. I've always been a cowboy person all my nephews and nieces wouldn't know me unless I have my cowboy stuff on. If others don't want to wear their cowboys outfits then why are they in cowboy action shooting when there is a lot of other shooting groups out there. IMHO if you want to shoot cowboy you should dress cowboy. My two cents.

Wasn't there a group of guys who dressed as a baseball team from the late 1800s?

Now that would be cool!

Gives "Kill the umpire" a whole new slant don't it? :lol:

Cowboy boots can be just as comfortable as shoes with the right heel. Buy Ropers. They have a regular flat heel. Or you can take your boots to a shoe repair shop and have the undershot riding heel removed and a flat one put on. Hats can be straw (lighter & cooler) in the summer. They don't have to be felt. If you're bald like me, or thin on top, you better darn sure wear a hat at all times when you're outside, not just when cowboy shooting. Over exposure to the sun can and will cause skin cancer and certain types of skin cancer can be terminal. IOWS, FATAL! It's cheaper than paying for cancer treatments or funerals, even if you have insurance.

If cost is a factor, go 2nd hand. There are some bargains in the SASS Classifieds. Excuses are like noses, everyone has one. Some people just hate to conform, even if it's only a few hours a month. ;)

Some would disagree. Over the years I have had two different brands of Ropers, two pair of mule ear knee high boots from Ft Western, three pairs of custom made CAS boots including a pair of Earthwalkers, two pairs of modern western boots, and they all made my feet hurt. Finally found a pair of all leather hiking boots from Cabelas which do not make my feet hurt so that is all I wear now for CAS. I would not continue to shoot with sore feet. At my age and size my feet and legs are more important than anything. For non CAS wear I have a hard time there also. I should point out I have had diabetes for 35 years without foot problems and do not intend to start now. I wear a 15 EEE, which makes it all even harder. I don't give a rip what anyone wear on their feet to shoot as long as they are not hurting their feet.

As long as someone is not wearing one of the prohibited items, and is wearing what they have on appropriately I don't give a rip. And I damn sure don't feel the need to defend myself for what I wear.

The unfortunate part about the perception of the clothing requirements is "most" people base their opinions on what they watched as kids and later on TV and in the movies. Unfortunately they weren't historically correct. And I know this isn't NCOWS.

The cowboy hats of today and the high heeled tall boots are a 20th century invention. If you look at old pictures people were wearing whatever they could get their hands on, cheaply. Other than a "shady Brady" and baseball caps you can put anything you want on your head that looks like someone might have worn from 1830 to 2012. And or nothing. There's a guy who shoots winter range. He's also barefooted and wears Bibb overalls and a top hat. Does he fit the era? Damn right he does.

Cowboy boots, Jean's, and a plaid long sleeve shirt is what people perceive cowboys wore. Ain't so.

Ike who wears 5 different types of hats including a WW1 helmet to a cowboy shoot. Long story.

I'm sorry but the tall, high heeled boots are not a 20th century invention. They date to the 1870's at least. No pointy toes or stitching on the foot portion back then but they were popular and worn by many cowboys.

I love the dressing up. My wife and kids are never out of Ideas for my Bday gifts, Fathers day Christmas and the likes. My Boulet Shooters boots have square toes and are absolutely comfortable and I love the ringing of jingle bobs on my spurs!

Like some of the other members have mentionned, if I change to go to the award dinner, I change into another change of cowboy clothes.

To me, it really adds to the experience. I even wore my full cowboy gear, without the guns of course, all day at work last Halloween, one guy was so blown away he decided to get into the sport and is gearing now for this year.

You should dress as you feel comfortable but in my opinion the sports isn't all about the shooting it's the whole experience, People, clothes and guns!

Frenchy

I've worn and still wear cowboy boots a lot of the time ever since I was a kid.I wear tennis shoes and work boots too in my everyday life,but my cowboy boots are what I'm used to.Wearing them and a hat for a match is no big deal for me.We have a few shooters that can't wear them due to foot problems and that's fine as far as I'm concerned.Used to wear a cowboy hat most of the time too,then the movie Urban Cowpuke came out.Right after that everyone was driving jacked up 4x4's and wearing a cowboy hat.99% of them wouldn't know what a cow or horse looked like if one came up and bit em on the butt.That's when no hat or a baseball cap became my everyday choice of head gear.

Let me get this.......If Non-cowboy types are wearin' cowboy hats, you then won't.....But every style of idiot wears baseball caps,front, sideways and backwards and you will continue wearin 'them ....each to their own thinkin I guess.....At least I don't see people with their cowboy hats on side ways to look cool.....I hope it does mot become a fad with the rap people...have you ever seen anything so funny as a white rap artist with a baseball cap on side ways....?????It's a Scream........Tuco.

Wow! You must have one heck of closet - or a warehouse! :lol:

How 'bout, can I wear my Air Jordan Tennie-Lamas, wif my baggy jeans down to my knees wif my flower-sack draws showin, and my hoodie in case it rains? Is that cowboy enuf, or do I need ta have a hat on over the hoodie? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well the wife is not happy about where everything is. I have a bunch of hat boxes in the dinning room they are stacked to the ceiling. And I hat a hat rack in the office. As far as my shirts go they are in the bed room closet the office closet and hanging in a make shift closet in the back room.

Some would disagree. Over the years I have had two different brands of Ropers, two pair of mule ear knee high boots from Ft Western, three pairs of custom made CAS boots including a pair of Earthwalkers, two pairs of modern western boots, and they all made my feet hurt. Finally found a pair of all leather hiking boots from Cabelas which do not make my feet hurt so that is all I wear now for CAS. I would not continue to shoot with sore feet. At my age and size my feet and legs are more important than anything. For non CAS wear I have a hard time there also. I should point out I have had diabetes for 35 years without foot problems and do not intend to start now. I wear a 15 EEE, which makes it all even harder. I don't give a rip what anyone wear on their feet to shoot as long as they are not hurting their feet.

Much obliged for the info........I was hopin' someone would suggest some alternative choices in footwear....There has got to be something else besides basketball shoes from china.....Thanks again..."no foot no horse" as we say...God Bless the good horse shoer and Cobbler.....Tuco

Maybe it's just me. I joined this group because of the outfits. I wear cowboy outfits on a daily basis from about 1968 on and some before that. I don't own a suit but I do own about 35 cowboys hats and 80 cowboy shirts and a dozen cowboy boots. I just can't get it out of my blood. I've always been a cowboy person all my nephews and nieces wouldn't know me unless I have my cowboy stuff on. If others don't want to wear their cowboys outfits then why are they in cowboy action shooting when there is a lot of other shooting groups out there. IMHO if you want to shoot cowboy you should dress cowboy. My two cents.

Amen To that Brother!!!There's still hope..........Thanks...Tuco.

Some of you could really benefit by getting out and about...experience other clubs and expand your experience of CAS.

SASS is NOT about being Period Correct...nor is it about dressing strictly as a COWBOY.

OY!

Archived