SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Attire Dress codes

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Howdy Pards: Lately I been readin' alot on the wire about Not being required to wear western hats .or duds unless you are on the line,etc........Seems like people are tryin' to take the "Cowboy" out of action shooting...I was of the understanding that you were to be in costume from the time you enter the shoot until you leave....Thinkin we there to promote the Cowboy way!!!!!!......."Are the times changing???Are we to old to wear cowboy boots and a hat???I would be interested in how other Pards feel about this..."do as you feel trend"...Love to hear your thoughts on this...From a REAL RANCHER since the late fifties......Tuco.(AM I just out of style)....God Bless You All.........

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy Pards: Lately I been readin' alot on the wire about Not being required to wear western hats .or duds unless you are on the line,etc........Seems like people are tryin' to take the "Cowboy" out of action shooting...I was of the understanding that you were to be in costume from the time you enter the shoot until you leave....Thinkin we there to promote the Cowboy way!!!!!!......."Are the times changing???Are we to old to wear cowboy boots and a hat???I would be interested in how other Pards feel about this..."do as you feel trend"...Love to hear your thoughts on this...From a REAL RANCHER since the late fifties......Tuco.(AM I just out of style)....God Bless You All.........

Hats and cowboy boots have NEVER been required in most of SASS. I don't wear a "costume". When asked by the mayor of Williams, AZ at Railhead a few years ago, "What is it you call what you folks wear?" I responded, "Clothes".

If you want to take the Cowboy out of Cowboy shooting, you should talk about Wild Bunch shooting.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

I completely disagree...look at folks like Texas Rick O'Shay, Rattlesnake Wrangler...and many other younger folks wearing lot's of "Cowboy" gear...where are you getting this idea that the dress "Code" is going south???

That said, you don't have to dress as a Cowboy to shoot in this game. Most categories don't require a Hat or Boots. Them the rules and they've been there for a while.

Cheers!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

If we are going to participate in this sport of "Cowboy" action shooting, we should at least make an

effort, however small, to be in the spirit of the game, and look the part. even if this means simply donning a

inexpensive cowboy hat.

just my 2 pesos

Festus

I wear my Cowboy Clothes from the leaving of home till the Arriving home from the shoot ...

But then my duds ain't much different on any given day...

Jabez Cowboy

I agree Phantom.

If you can't play within the Spirit of the Game, then I'd suggest you go play somethin' else.

As for not requiring to wear a cowboy hat,....if you're shooting a 66 or a 73 or a 92 then it's only a matter of time before one of those red hot brass shells get jammed between your glasses and eyebrow, or down the back of your shirt,...and you'll know all about it. :wacko:

Your choice????

I do speak from experience :unsure:

Can also be a safety issue with a reaction that could send a round over a berm or anywhere else. :blink:

Catch up with ya hopefully next month Phantom. :wub:

If we are going to participate in this sport of "Cowboy" action shooting, we should at least make an

effort, however small, to be in the spirit of the game, and look the part. even if this means simply donning a

inexpensive cowboy hat.

just my 2 pesos

Festus

Funny, the first two things I bought were a hat and boots. I watch the e western channel a great deal in the evennin, and it's hard not to see everyone, 'cept maybe Doc on Gun Smoke not wearing boots. But he does wear a pull on high top shoe, and always has his hat. Boots and hat should be manditory. Lace up, period style Brogans are OK as boots too, but you gotta have boots and a hat.....

I'm in for $0.02

Guest Texas Bounty Hunter

I completely disagree...look at folks like Texas Rick O'Shay, Rattlesnake Wrangler...and many other younger folks wearing lot's of "Cowboy" gear...where are you getting this idea that the dress "Code" is going south???

That said, you don't have to dress as a Cowboy to shoot in this game. Most categories don't require a Hat or Boots. Them the rules and they've been there for a while.

Cheers!

Phantom

Seems like I remember people complaining about TRS not wearing his hat much at first -glad to see He

is coming around ;)

For me, half the fun is getting in my cowboy duds. I would wear them to work everyday if they would let me.

Everyone gets something different out of our game but it would be nice if they were wear a cheap cowboy hat.

You are 100% right .To many cowboy are cutting back. The boot be cause they hurt their feet hat are to hot. Also have those who think they can game it by cutting back on wardrobe so they can move faster. :angry:

Gunrunner Joe Classic cowboy live the dream :FlagAm:

I see many folks passing on the boots. If I inquire, they ussualy say the have 'feet problems'. Must be lots of folks that have them. I do my best to follow the costume rules for my category.

Funny, the first things I bought were a hat and cowboy boots, neither of which are required but it just seemed logical. Later I wished I'd bought work boots but after two years of wearing them the leather boots have reshaped my feet so that they fit better in the boots!

I didn't care much about costuming when I started. I liked seeing what other people wore but I didn't think I would care about it; I just wore jeans and a work shirt. Over time, though, I got into the clothing a little more and now it's a part of the fun for me.

I don't overemphasize the costuming for new or prospective shooters. Many of them seem to struggle with the equipment costs so it's good news to hear that you don't have to spend a couple hundred dollars on an elaborate costume. Unless you want to.

Hats and boots are only required in the two costume categories, B-Western and Classic Cowboy. There was more than just cowboys from that era, there were doctors, lawyers, bartenders, balcksmith, cobllers, Indian Chiefs, sod busters...etc...tec...Not all of them wore pointy toed cowboy boots and a ten gallon hat. From what I've seen our folks are just as creative as ever in their costuming. Some wear the min, some the max, it's all good. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Howdy Pards: Lately I been readin' alot on the wire about Not being required to wear western hats .or duds unless you are on the line,etc........Seems like people are tryin' to take the "Cowboy" out of action shooting.

Howdy

You may be reading this on the Wire, but I ain't been seeing it happen much at matches.

I am not a big shooter and don't go to alot of different clubs, but from what I've seen around here are folks who certainly 'look' the part...boots, or old west style shoes and cowboy hats. There are even some top shooters around here that are adding more to their costumes. Spurs, chaps, wrist cuffs and the such. Me personally wouldn't raise a hoot about a pard shootin' in something less...costuming is important, but Costume Nazi's should be discouraged...IMHO.

I have to say that Ivory Jack is probably one of the best looking one's when he gets 'cowboyed' up. Looks like he stepped right out of 'Tombstone' the movie.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I play the game the way I want and I don't pay much attention to everyone else's costuming. I follow my persona "Rye Miles" a Arizona Ranger, I looked at countless pics of Texas and Arizona rangers and try to dress as they did. This is MY game and others are playin theirs. That said I do think we should require at least a western style hat fer gosh sakes! I can't for the life me of figure out why people rush to take off their cowboy duds and attend the awards afterward in their shorts, t shirts and ball caps! :wacko::blink:

Rye

The Old West had bankers, doctors, Asians, slaves, freemen, etc. etc. Anyone may dress however they see their character. I never got to meet him, but at WR this year was a feller dressed in just a hat, overall (short) and no shoes. I heard he could shoot, too.

There is no one more classic in any category than Half-a- Hand Henri who, when she's not shooting Classic Cowgirl (2nd X Nat'l Champion) is running barefoot across gravel as big as your thumb.

My preference is hat, boots and all the accoutrements; where I live people may give a nod, but seldom a 2nd look. I suppose if I lived in Chicago then I'd probably not wear my lid. When I travel there it does get some funny looks. Once a fellow shooter asked me how the heck I got my spurs on so fast. At first it confused me...because on that particular pair of boots they're never taken off.

Just last week on my way through Wyoming, for example, I realized how much I was inspired by the simple state sign, "Forever West". That and Old Steamboat kickin' up his heels made my day a little brighter. Maybe we spend a bit too much time worrying about the 'demise' rather than making sure that we're doing our best to inspire?

Howdy

You may be reading this on the Wire, but I ain't been seeing it happen much at matches.

Yup. That goes for a lot of stuff. :lol:

I see many folks passing on the boots. If I inquire, they ussualy say the have 'feet problems'. Must be lots of folks that have them. I do my best to follow the costume rules for my category.

Feet problems among the folks in my age group are not uncommon so I completely understand. Cowboy boots were made for riding, not walking and running around. My feet hurt like hell at the end of a match but I'm too stubborn to wear anything but boots. Some other people are smarter than me.

I've only been a member since October and part of the alure of SASS was the dress code. I really don't care how anybody else dresses, but I wll be dressed to the hilt from my spurs to my cowboy hat. It makes me feel like I'm back in the 1880's. Just sayin'

inexpensive cowboy hat.

just my 2 pesos

Festus

Running Bare don't wear a hat...cuz her "Character" is an INDIAN!!!

Stop trying to make folks play the game the way YOU want it played.

I never got to meet him, but at WR this year was a feller dressed in just a hat, overall (short) and no shoes. I heard he could shoot, too.

I believe the gentlemen's alias is "No-One" and he shoots good. I smile everytime I see him.

Wyatt

PS: Whoever is in charge please post the offical dress for this weekend. I don't want to show up with the wrong color socks

First off, in the 4-5 years I've been in this game, I have not seen any drop off in compliance with the 'dress code,' if anything I've seen folks wearing more in the way of 'costuming.'

Second, we need to be careful not to scare folks off with an over zealous enforcement of the dress code especially at monthly matches. When folks are starting out it may take them a while to get into the flow with their clothing. When I started, I shot in a T shirt, jeans, tennis shoes and a cowboy hat. I was still made to feel welcome and not chastised at every turn for not yet meeting the dress code. As the club annual approached after several months shooting, I was very politely informed that for annuals and above I would need to meet the dress code if I wanted to participate. And that was fine, it was done in a nice way. And, I was able to comply and shoot the annual and have met the dress code when participating in matches ever since.

Lastly, an observation. Many within SASS seem to be hungering for respect as a shooting sport. Still others seem to want very strict 'costuming' requirements to the point of pretty much being historical re-enactors. Part of what attracted me to SASS is the balance between the two without going whole hog either way.

Grizz

Running Bare don't wear a hat...cuz her "Character" is an INDIAN!!!

Stop trying to make folks play the game the way YOU want it played.

I must confess that I may wear mocassins and brogans for the Manse's Revenge this weekend. I have an authentic set of stovepipe boots with original Mexican spurs that I'll bring but will be extremely hesitant to put them on. See, the daughters are not coming with me and I'm not sure if I can get the boots off again without their help! Its tough gettin' old :FlagAm:

Hi Tuco,

I don't know if things are changing or not. :unsure:

The only thing that bothers me is folks who wear Outlawed items to matches. I've seen ball caps and T-shirts locally. :angry: (Edit: I'm not talking about new shooters.)

About hats and certain rifles, the hat can be a safety measure. A friend who shoots a '73 forgot her hat ONCE. Twice that day, she got a shell stuck between her glasses and her face. She hasn't forgot it since. My first year, I rarely wore one. Then one day I got a terrible sunburn where my part was. I have now accumulated many hats. Of course others can do what they like.

Regards,

Allie Mo

My first year, I rarely wore one. Then one day I got a terrible sunburn where my part was. I have now accumulated many hats. Of course others can do what they like.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Umm... *Which* part? :ph34r:

Around here a lot of new shooters start off wearing street clothes. Nobody makes a big deal about it, but in a couple of months they are all wearing cowboy clothing of some sort. Again, nobody makes a big deal, most people just like to fit in.

As to the boots, I have to admit that last winter I wore my Bean boots to a couple of shoots especially when it was wet and muddy. They weren't invented until 1907 so they weren't period correct, but my feet didn't get wet and they stayed warm. Other than occasions like that I wear a pair of beat up old boots that have the benefit of being very, very comfortable. As was mentioned above, I consider the cowboy hat to be a safety device. I never shoot a lever action without it.

Really all you need to look and feel cowboy at one of our matches are a hat, boots, jeans, braces, and a long sleeve shirt. How expensive are those things.

.Thinkin we there to promote the Cowboy way!!!!!!....

I'm thinking the "Cowboy Way" is how someone acts, not how they're dressed. And part of the "Cowboy Way" is not trying to force my views on other people. If they're following the rules, I leave them be. :FlagAm:

As to the boots, I have to admit that last winter I wore my Bean boots to a couple of shoots especially when it was wet and muddy. They weren't invented until 1907 so they weren't period correct, but my feet didn't get wet and they stayed warm. Other than occasions like that I wear a pair of beat up old boots that have the benefit of being very, very comfortable. As was mentioned above, I consider the cowboy hat to be a safety device. I never shoot a lever action without it.

Really all you need to look and feel cowboy at one of our matches are a hat, boots, jeans, braces, and a long sleeve shirt. How expensive are those things.

I agree with you Bart about reasonable foot wear when weather dictates and also about the hat being a safety device. I've never gotten a shell stuck between glasses and face in this sport, but in other yes. My '73 likes to drop them down my back and burn the waistline under the belts. Up until recently I wore carharts and buttoned them all the way up, not that I have discovered that Wahmaker is made in USA I am all about it.

The Old West had bankers, doctors, Asians, slaves, freemen, etc. etc. Anyone may dress however they see their character. I never got to meet him, but at WR this year was a feller dressed in just a hat, overall (short) and no shoes. I heard he could shoot, too.

There is no one more classic in any category than Half-a- Hand Henri who, when she's not shooting Classic Cowgirl (2nd X Nat'l Champion) is running barefoot across gravel as big as your thumb.

My preference is hat, boots and all the accoutrements; where I live people may give a nod, but seldom a 2nd look. I suppose if I lived in Chicago then I'd probably not wear my lid. When I travel there it does get some funny looks. Once a fellow shooter asked me how the heck I got my spurs on so fast. At first it confused me...because on that particular pair of boots they're never taken off.

Just last week on my way through Wyoming, for example, I realized how much I was inspired by the simple state sign, "Forever West". That and Old Steamboat kickin' up his heels made my day a little brighter. Maybe we spend a bit too much time worrying about the 'demise' rather than making sure that we're doing our best to inspire?

I met her at CAC2010 and was very impressed with her shooting and her person. I was surprised that the bare feet are not a costume, they are her every day wear.

She is quite the lady!

I must confess that I may wear mocassins and brogans for the Manse's Revenge this weekend. I have an authentic set of stovepipe boots with original Mexican spurs that I'll bring but will be extremely hesitant to put them on. See, the daughters are not coming with me and I'm not sure if I can get the boots off again without their help! Its tough gettin' old :FlagAm:

You may want to invest in or make a boot jack, much less expensive than feeding the young'ns. Added bonus you will not have to be constantly running off cowboys chasen after em.

Archived