SASS Wire Forum

1887 Technique for loading

Tucumcari Tim

Hey Pards, Finally got my 1887 SG to work as it should with a few hiccups that likely are human error. Been practicing the loading (has the load 2 conversion) and wanted to see what techniques anyone else has proven to be effective. I know that each shooter can be proficient in different ways, so please don't respond with "whatever fits you". I don't know what fits me yet and need some ideas on what techniques to try. I reviewed Lassiters Chiappa youtube video and think he loads with the bottom shell slightly forwards. Can't guarantee that cause he does it so fast I can't see it clearly. Any ideas for practice would be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance,

Tuke

Duece Stevens has a video on loading the 87. He shows loading with both hands. Lassiter loads with his right hand. Can't hardly get smoother than Lassiter or faster than Duece. I believe Cap has a video on his website showing him loading and shooting the 87 too..

I always pick-up the shotgun with the left hand. Pinky finger automatically goes in trigger guard to hold action open until gun is shouldered. Don't load the gun until it is at your shoulder. Loading the gun at a lower level makes a consistent loading motion difficult to learn and repeat. Plus you are looking at the gun instead of locating the target. I load right handed with the top shell slightly behind the bottom shell. Easier to pull and keep the shells stacked this way for me.

YMMV

Marlin

Wish Lassiter would do a slow down version of his techniques for us,,,, and that would also include his pointers for shooting Gunfighter as well!

I seen Lassiter shoot, that was his slow down version....

First and foremost,is your drop 2 a "Factory" drop 2?The 2 things that Lassiter and Deuce have going for them are an inordinate amount of practice and almost as important,guns that are set-up to run fast and work 100% of the time.The dimple in the follower and any-other sub-par drop 2 are just recipes for futility.Lassiters drop 2 is THE ONLY RELIABLE METHOD!!! currently available.Its safe to say that the only shooters that run there 87's fast,I mean truly fast.Are either shooting a Lassiter set-up gun or one that Fireball set-up.The only way to get one of Fireballs is if you get to the end of the rainbow,there might be one there instead of a pot of gold.Btw he only did originals.Lassiter has it down to an art,plus he stands behind it to the end.So as his earlier post said,give him a call and he can give you valuable tips and schedule your gun.

I did speak to Lassiter last night and got some very helpful information regarding my question. He was gracious enough to spend more than a few minutes on the phone explaining some of his successfully proven techniques and philosophies. I was appreciative of his openness to help a fellow shooter without any reservation or concern to keep a "secret" that would give him the advantage. Don't think I'll be at his level for a long time, if ever anyway, but this is one of the reasons I decided to take CAS up. For most (except the serious "Gamers"), shooters are willing to help each other to improve and to share their experiences.

Thanks Lassiter and all above who have contributed their opinions. I am appreciative for all who responded

Tuke.

Archived