SASS Wire Forum

n00bie questions

Lefty Stone

So, shot my first match on Saturday here in Michigan. As is their way, the Johnson Creek people are helpful, friendly, and fun to be around.

I did have a blast, once the excitement settled down.

I do have some questions that I would like for folks to weigh in on. I hear folks here are reluctant to give advice, or share their experiences so I am hopeful that I get at least one reply ;)

Shotgun -

I have a plain Jane off the shelf Stoeger coach gun that seems to want to keep empty shotgun shells in a death grip instead of allowing them to exit in a timely manner. It also requires 2 men and a boy to open; not good when one is 'on the clock'. It was so bad that about a 1/2 dozen people offered me their shotguns to use the rest of the day.

All that being said, should I invest the money in fixing this one up or, buy a used one that is already tried and true. I have seen used ones going in the 400.00 range,already slicked up.

Would you get a double, or a pump?

Boots and Clothes -

I read the stuff in the handbook about boots, clothes and such but, after the match people were saying that certain cowboy boots that dont have flat, leather soles aren't legal for SASS... is that true?

Thanks in advance for all the advice to come, I do appreciate it !

-Lefty

So, shot my first match on Saturday here in Michigan. As is their way, the Johnson Creek people are helpful, friendly, and fun to be around.

I do have some questions that I would like for folks to weigh in on. I hear folks here are reluctant to give advice, or share their experiences so I am hopeful that I get at least one reply ;)Not true - folks on th eWire are ALWAYS helpful (though responses may vary :lol: )

Shotgun -

I have a plain Jane off the shelf Stoeger coach gun that seems to want to keep empty shotgun shells in a death grip instead of allowing them to exit in a timely manner. It also requires 2 men and a boy to open; not good when one is 'on the clock'. It was so bad that about a 1/2 dozen people offered me their shotguns to use the rest of the day. Contact Ketchum Quick - he is the MD at the Rockford match here in Michigan and he does work on Stoegers.

All that being said, should I invest the money in fixing this one up or, buy a used one that is already tried and true. The Stoeger is a 'tried and true' shotgun in SASS I have seen used ones going in the 400.00 range,already slicked up.

Would you get a double, or a pump? That would be a personal preference

Boots and Clothes -

I read the stuff in the handbook about boots, clothes and such but, after the match people were saying that certain cowboy boots that dont have flat, leather soles aren't legal for SASS... is that true?

As long as it's not 'outlawed' you can wear any kind of boot that fits you best (page 24)

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SASSHandbook-v18.2-2012Highlighted.pdf

Thanks in advance for all the advice to come, I do appreciate it !

-Lefty

...AND WELCOME! I shoot in Michigan too and hope to meet ya!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Welcome to SASS!! I have a Baikal Shotgun, very similar to your Stoeger. If you can't get the work done on it right a way what I did was to leave the gun open like it is in the gun cart. It will stretch out the springs a bit. I left mine open at home for about 2 weeks and now it opens with ease. Just a suggestion.

Hi Lefty!

Welcome to the fun! :D

About the SG shells, folks don't have as good a time with ribbed shells. It sounds like you need work to get it to open easily too, so maybe KQ will recommend honing or a brand of shells that are easy to get where you live. It seems that doubles are very popular. However, opinions vary and you can use the model '97 pump in Wild Bunch Action Shooting. The category you shoot in can make a difference in which is allowed. For example in Classic Cowboy, you must use a hammered double or a model '87. Check out the Shooter's Handbook, here, for more info. on category requirements.

I have some flat, leather shoes; they can be very dangerous on wet grass and your feet may hurt by the end of the day if you have big gravel. Buying comfortable, safe shoes is almost as important as your guns. Something like theseare popular and have thick comfortable soles. If you like a simple slip on these look comfy. Some of the gents swear by Mule Ear boots. They look B) with pants tucked in. ;) I'm sure more folks will "chime in."

Regards,

Allie Mo

Ask two cowboys, when one shoots a SXS, and the other shoots a pump, and you will get seven answers to what is best. We tend to be an opinionated bunch when it comes to our shooting iron.

Myself, I shoot the Baikal, but it did takes some slicking. My advice would be to do some simple things with your Stoeger. Like polish the chambers. That will go a long way in releasing the hulls. Rather simple to do, just get a dowel rod and cut a slot in it and/or wrap some cloth around it with some polish on it.

Put it in a drill and have at it for a few minutes each barrel.

As far as the opening goes, that is a spring problem. If your gunsmith skills are not good, ask around to some of the folks that you shoot with and find a good gunsmith to do the work for you. Generally speaking a slick me up job is cheaper than another gun. But it is you call.

The Ropers pictured are what I wear and have worn for 6 or 7 years. Rubber soles and cushion inserts. Stick with your Stoeger for awhile and give it a chance to work in. Don't use the ribbed SG ammo, AA or STS are the way to go. A little more $$$ but will extract much easier.

When I first started shooting I thought I KNEW what I wanted to shoot. All the guns are long gone! Just keep shooting, ask lots of questions and watch everyone. Borrow guns to try and then you'll get a better idea of what fits your style and most importantly your budget!

Shotgun -

I have a plain Jane off the shelf Stoeger coach gun that seems to want to keep empty shotgun shells in a death grip instead of allowing them to exit in a timely manner. What type of shells are you using? Winchester AA's, or Remington STS's should fall right out. It also requires 2 men and a boy to open; not good when one is 'on the clock'. It was so bad that about a 1/2 dozen people offered me their shotguns to use the rest of the day. Are you talking about the tension on the lever? A lighter spring will fix that. Or is it tight? A good smith should be able to fix it at a very reasonable cost.

All that being said, should I invest the money in fixing this one up or, buy a used one that is already tried and true. I have seen used ones going in the 400.00 range,already slicked up.

Would you get a double, or a pump? I have two Stoeger SxS's and they do just fine. I'd put the money into your gun. That way you now exactly what was done to it and who did the work.

-Lefty

About your Stoeger...you can make it a lot easier to open by replacing the lever spring.The factory ones are very stiff.This will not only let it open easier and contrary to some opinions on here,it also lets it stay open a bit farther.That spring can be bought from Dillon (reloader company) or Longhunter.As for the shells sticking,are you shooting brass based , steel or aluminum?Brass won't swell like steel or aluminum does and usually slides out easier.If you're using brass base,you can take you shotgun to a gunsmith and have the chambers polished.That will definately let the hulls come out easier and is usually no more than a $50 bill.Some people like the 97's.Great guns,but you'll need 2 or 3.The 97's never were designed to take the kind of punishment we subject our shotguns to.Most 97 shooters have more than one.A backup and a backup for the backup.I have 3 of em,but I also have 4 SxS's.What can I say,I'm a gun junkie.Welcome to the fun.

Shotgun -

I have a plain Jane off the shelf Stoeger coach gun that seems to want to keep empty shotgun shells in a death grip instead of allowing them to exit in a timely manner. It also requires 2 men and a boy to open; not good when one is 'on the clock'. It was so bad that about a 1/2 dozen people offered me their shotguns to use the rest of the day.

If you are mechanically inclined; Marauder has a great website that has all kinds of good information regarding slicking up guns. You can find out information regarding Stoeger shotguns here.

If you are mechanically inclined; Marauder has a great website that has all kinds of good information regarding slicking up guns. You can find out information regarding Stoeger shotguns here.

+1

I read (and re re re read) the Marauder site and went to work on my Stoeger. Went slow and used a diamond file and a fine stone in my rotatory tool. Used a sharpie on the fresh metal, reassembled and worked everything and then broke it down and look for where the black sharpie was removed. When it was close I used a a paste of baking soda and water and on the joint and just sat in the living room and worked it open and closed for a couple hours while watching "Quigly" (for the umteenth time).

It ain't as sweet as the custom tuned jobs the "pro's" do but it works and gets better with every firing.

Hardin

On polishing your chambers, I found and have used a 10 gauge wire brush, wrap some fine grit (600-800)cut to the lenght of the brush and use your drill in and out but no further in then lenght of a shotgun shell. Finish polishing with some fine steel wool also wrapped around the brush, it will shine like a mirror. Using a fired shell from your shotgun, just drop it in, and when you can tilt barrel upright, and shell drops out. your done. I use Remington sport shotgun shells, they drop right out and are cheap. MT

...AND WELCOME! I shoot in Michigan too and hope to meet ya!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+1 (That means I agree with what Gunner said.)

Lefty Stone, on 26 March 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

I do have some questions that I would like for folks to weigh in on. I hear folks here are reluctant to give advice, or share their experiences so I am hopeful that I get at least one reply Not true - folks on th eWire are ALWAYS helpful (though responses may vary )

Shotgun -

Contact Ketchum Quick - he is the MD at the Rockford match here in Michigan and he does work on Stoegers.

A gunsmith can hone the chambers and lighten the springs so that the shells will fall out, and the the gun will fall open of it's own weight, pretty easy, and reasonable.

All that being said, should I invest the money in fixing this one up or, buy a used one that is already tried and true. The Stoeger is a 'tried and true' shotgun in SASS I have seen used ones going in the 400.00 range,already slicked up.

Would you get a double, or a pump? That would be a personal preference.

A double is easier to learn than a pump.

Boots and Clothes -

As long as it's not 'outlawed' you can wear any kind of boot that fits you best (page 24)

Classic cowboy boots are good for riding a horse, but not for running. A boot with a wider sole and a lower heel is better for what we do, as long as the sole is smooth, not with treads that would give an unfair advantage.

http://www.sassnet.c...Highlighted.pdf

Thanks in advance for all the advice to co me, I do appreciate it !

Welcome to the fire. Set a spell and listen to the old timers, and learn how to play this game. It's more fun than a barrel of drunk monkeys.

Look at Ariat lacers. The sole has enough texture to provide some grip with out offending the boot police.

Archived