SASS Wire Forum

Only in New Jersey

A friend of mine posted this on another forum. I removed personal details but I thought the uniqueness of it would be appreciated in the saloon.

Only in Forked River, NJ.

I just had to share this Darwin Award with you. I'm sure most of you have heard of the convenience store 7-11. Well, we have a gas station here in town that had a little store in the center for various odds and ends. They decided to really go all out and pretty much demolished the whole place. Same gas brand (Shell) but all new pumps, etc. The little store was removed as was the car wash at the back of the property. This was being replaced with the first....mind you the FIRST...drive-thru 7-11 in the state. Oh my, how lucky can we get! That's if you like their coffee over Wa Wa's. Oh my gosh, the anticipation. Biggest thing to happen here in town since a grasshopper hiccuped. It was supposed to open months and months ago. It never opened. Supposedly April 1 now. We'll see. Seems they discovered a teeny tiny flaw after it was built. Just a bitty one. The idiots never made the hole in the wall for the drive-thru part. This little "whoops" was discoverd after the building was pretty well finished. One whole side would have had to be ripped apart. The drive-thru arrows were even up....but no hole. So now we'll just have a regular 7-11 and will lose our "first in NJ" status. I laugh every time we go by there because the stupid signs still have to be removed. If they don't, someone will be sure to follow them and end up talking to a brick wall.

And hubby voluntarily moved here. Gotta love him!

Btw, "Forked River" is pronounced with two syllables on the "forked" as in "Fork-ed River."

This brings to mind the Diablo Canyon ("Diabolical Canyon" to some of the locals) nuclear power plant near San Luis Obispo, California.

Built back in the late 70's and early 80's, it was plagued with problems leading to it's eventually costing about six times it's original estimate.

And one of the biggies was...

The most famous snafu was discovered in 1981 by a 25-year-old engineer, John L. Horn, who, on the job less than a year, pointed out that for the previous four years, construction crews had been reading an essential engineering diagram for one of the reactor containment domes upside down. That, too, sent PG&E’s construction crews back to the drawing board.

Oooops! :rolleyes:

Washington State is not exempt. Our Dept of Transporation decided to build an overpass over Interstate route 405, near Totem Lake in Kirkland. Constructions went on for months. Finally, when the job was

"complete" it was discovered that the overpass was not high enough to allow semi rigs to pass under it.

The answer. Tear up the road way on 405, lower the roadway, and repave it. Another few million dollars and several months of traffic constriction.

You just gotta love it. Probably some poor lowly engineer got canned over it and the guy that put the ok on it just grinned and collected his check.

Archived