SASS Wire Forum

Binoculars advice needed

I'm going on a whale watch soon and binoculars are advised. Now, I have a pair that I am happy with but I have a guest who does not so I would like to get another pair that would be good for my guest to use. This guest has no experience with them, the boat is a high speed catamaran which will stop at some point to observe the mammals. What would be a good set of of binocs to get for my guest to use.

As I recall very high power is probably a bad idea but I have forgotten all the other criteria.

Thanks pards.

For boating binoculars, I would recommend one with stability image. High power is not needed as much. Here's a good one. Go to Boat US or any other that supply boaters. I'm happy with mine. Also remember you'll be in salt water, and want something that will stand against salt and sea spray which can ruin a regular pair. MT

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/marine-binoculars/bushnell7x50marinewilluminatedcompassrangefindingreticle.cfm

Burris landmark 10/42.. I started with a pair of hi dollar German 10/50 in the 1950's , have had about 10 different, retired the German as they were to costly to use, the Burris is just about as good, and if I loose or ruin them I will not loose any sleep over them , go to a good out fitter, and try several...

I like the Nikons as well.

If your guest wears eye glasses make sure the binoculars have a long eye relief. At least 18mm. I wear glasses and have a pair of the Leupold "Yosemite" model in 6X and find them to be ideal for me. Don't forget your camera. We took a whale watch trip out of Provincetown, MA a few years ago. The boat got close to several whales, I got a few nice shots of them breaching.

Whatever you buy Mo I'd add one of the around your back straps as well. They keep the optics from bouncing around and in combo with the neck strap will keep them from going overboard as it were.

Sometimes these questions are very easy....................

Nikon Monarch ATB 8X.............Best bang for the buck and 8X is as high power you want to go for marine use.

Check out the forums and reviews for folks that bird watch. The Monarch ATB are universally praised. Great glass at a very good price.

Standard Navy issue since the early 1900's has been a 7X50. Get a good used B&L, Fujinon, Zeiss, Leitz, etc. These can be had for > $200 and will last almost forever. I bought a new US Navy Fujinon for $225. I was really into binoculars for a while and still have several models of Zeiss and Leitz.

Archived