SASS Wire Forum

bad target or bad luck...maybe both?

During the rifle sequence I hit the target and it turned completely sideways causing my follow up shot to possibly miss.

Question: is it just the way it is and called a miss or does the shooter get offered a reshoot.

One shooter told me that its the price I pay for shooting a larger caliber.

After I was done a pard went and fixed the target.

Just curious...I'm good either way.

GG

Prop failure and the option of a reshoot.

Yep.. prop failure.. I say shoot where the target was.. clean..

(Edit.. I'm assuming you shot the rest of the stage clean :lol::lol: )

If they want to give you a miss and fixed it for the next shooters... unfair advantage.. give him a reshoot

Rance <_<

Just my thinkin'

Prop failure, reshoot.

Once saw a feller shoot a rifle target and it jumped off the stand, he hit it again as it fell to the ground. Granted in a perfect world with time to think out everything you really shouldn't do that, but it was amazing to see his concentration on the target and hit it as it fell.

Shoot where it was = no miss or Reshoot and takes yer chances.

During the rifle sequence I hit the target and it turned completely sideways causing my follow up shot to possibly miss.

Question: is it just the way it is and called a miss or does the shooter get offered a reshoot.

GG

What was the end result? Reshoot or miss? Should be clean or reshoot.

Welp, hed et hed bin me,,,,i wudda schot the edge of tha targit az et turnt tu me.......taz my storee an Imma stickun tu et :P

Now, In awl seriousness, clean, prop failure, no need to reshoot, it was clean. but agin hed I shot it lak yu did, I wud want a reshoot cuz et may hav delayed me for .002 or .004 of a secund... :o

Clean!

Cheyenne B)

Shoot where it was = no miss or Reshoot and takes yer chances.

I knew Griff was good for something. :D

Gunner, did you stutter step when it turned? I've heard people state that shooting a target "where it was" is to the shooter's advantage, but personally when something's not where it's supposed to be, my brain does a stutter step. There's a talking-to-myself-conversation that goes in my head that in real time goes by pretty quickly, but if slowed and actually said, it'd go something like this: "What the...! Where'd it go?! Whatta I do?! Oh yeah, shoot where it was! Stop thinkin' and start shootin'! Aim where it was! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!"............Bang. "I hate it when that happens! Now, where was I?" :D

conversation goes in my head "What the...! Where'd it go?! Whatta I do?! Oh yeah, shoot where it was! Stop thinkin' and start shootin'! Aim where it was! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!"............Bang. "I hate it when that happens! Now, where was I?" :D

Yep.. all the above.. especially.. Where was I? :mellow:

I knew Griff was good for something. :D

There's a talking-to-myself-conversation that goes in my head that in real time goes by pretty quickly, but if slowed and actually said, it'd go something like this: "What the...! Where'd it go?! Whatta I do?! Oh yeah, shoot where it was! Stop thinkin' and start shootin'! Aim where it was! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!"............Bang. "I hate it when that happens! Now, where was I?" :D

Why, thank you Sir. And for me, it's more like... "where am I?" :ph34r: I'm more worried about hittin' another target that I ain't supposed to... thereby incurring the dreaded "P" that I take longer to aim at a target that ain't there, than one that is... and we know that's a long time indeed! Leastways... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Oh, did I stop shooting whilst I told you all that...? My bad!

I'd call it clean, target failure. Shooter ought not be penalized for a target that unintentionally shifts when hit.

+1

Target's not a prop. treat the same as a shotgun target that falls early - shot where it was. Clean

+1

Target's not a prop. treat the same as a shotgun target that falls early - shot where it was. Clean

..... the target is, however, part of the range ... so we can call it a "range failure" and still shoot where it was ....

Thanks pards for all your replies. The pards at the match expressed similar opinions. After the match the target was inspected and a bolt had broken off causing the target to do what it did. Initially counted as a miss, but was told it would be changed. To be honest its no big deal, but since it was something new to me I figured I'd get y'alls take on it.

Thanks again and happy shooting.

GG

Hey Gunner, I am so glad you were able to shoot with us today. Our goal is for everyone to have a good time at our shoot. Unfortunately things break. The target in question did break., and was replaced. We all know that a prop failure cannot cause a miss. Shoot where it was and score it a hit. More regrettably, as match director, I was not aware that you were scored as a miss till after the match was over and scores were calculated. I will adjust the scores to reflect the hit. Again, thank you for coming and I hope your day was overall an enjoyable one. See you next month!

Two Gun Troll

Match Director

Mason County Marshals

Heeee Haaaa Gunner .. Ta tell ya the truth I was standing behind ya as the RO ,and you had so much SMOKE down range That I didn't see the target turn sideways.. :blush: It wasn't till someone said "check that target" becouse it did come back to center.. :unsure: I'm sorry that I didn't make the call.. :huh: I'm glad that your score was adjusted for my mistake.. Now with all that being said, I don't believe that those 5 seconds would have put you over me.. :huh: And seein how there was only two of us shooting Pale-Rider.. :P:P I'll be Match Director next Month, You come back and shoot with us , I'll give ya a FIVE SECOND Bonus just for showin up..

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Heeee Haaaa Gunner .. Ta tell ya the truth I was standing behind ya as the RO ,and you had so much SMOKE down range That I didn't see the target turn sideways.. :blush: It wasn't till someone said "check that target" becouse it did come back to center.. :unsure: I'm sorry that I didn't make the call.. :huh: I'm glad that your score was adjusted for my mistake.. Now with all that being said, I don't believe that those 5 seconds would have put you over me.. :huh: And seein how there was only two of us shooting Pale-Rider.. :P I'll be Match Director next Month, You come back and shoot with us , I'll give ya a FIVE SECOND Bonus just for showin up..

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::FlagAm:

you are the best pard to shoot with - I only noticed the target sideways as I engaged the next target and hearing someone yell out - "the target's sideways...". As mentioned I was confused about what the protocol was. Deuce did explain a few procedures on how to deal with the matter and I was good with it. I had so much FUN shootin' with y'all!! ...Seeing that I had 2 'P's and 5 misses retracting a miss wouldn't matter. The more I shoot the more I will probably come into a situation I am not sure about and it's great that y'all and folks on the Wire help guide me through 'em.

See you in a couple weeks in Rockford! This time I am comin' hard at ya:) After all I was only 10 seconds behind ya on raw time...gettin' there!! :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Dang, Mingo is soooooooooooo short I wud figur thit he cud see undur tha smoke.... :P

Cheyenne ;)

GG

Say Whut?!? Hope he was kiddin', otherwise :wacko:

Nice to see this one turned out correctly per match director!

Dang, Mingo is soooooooooooo short I wud figur thit he cud see undur tha smoke.... :P

Cheyenne ;)

Heeee Haaa Mr Cowpecker..Ta smoke wasa hangin low ta the ground :P:P:P

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::FlagAm:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We always give a reshoot or "shoot where it WAS".

MG

Just so all sides of the story are covered. The target broke from a impact of one of Gunners bullets. The targets and props are inspected before every match. Targets that would not work would not be used. The Mason County Marshals have gone to great effort to make the range one of the most enjoyable places to shoot in the state. Thanks so much to Two Gun Troll,Mequite Mark,Straight Arrow,Crazy Mingo,School Marm Sarah and the spouses for making this one awesome place to go and be with friends and do some shooting. It's gonna be a great season.

Just so all sides of the story are covered. The target broke from a impact of one of Gunners bullets. The targets and props are inspected before every match. Targets that would not work would not be used. The Mason County Marshals have gone to great effort to make the range one of the most enjoyable places to shoot in the state. Thanks so much to Two Gun Troll,Mequite Mark,Straight Arrow,Crazy Mingo,School Marm Sarah and the spouses for making this one awesome place to go and be with friends and do some shooting. It's gonna be a great season.

The target broke sure and it may have been my shot that caused it - how we are sure that it was actually my shot that broke it? I mean...sure the targets are inspected before a shoot, but micro-fractures (doesn't matter how well one visually inspects a target unless you have special equipment to detect that sort of thing it ain't gonna be seen), or other imperfections of a bolt, metal/impact fatique from 1000's of rounds hitting the target, or whatever can also be a reason a target or piece of the target fails - just sounds like the blame is going to the shooter...

As I mentioned to you and all others I talked about I didn't want to make this a big deal, but now it seems I am getting blamed for this. I was told that 'these things happened' and I was 100& good with it. There was no 'blame' on anyone with this as I was asked what the situation would be to folks at the shoot an there on the Wire. So I guess that folks that shoot Pale Rider BP should not shoot at that club because they may 'break' targets. There is a speed and power factor allowed in SASS and my cartridges are within spec. Shouldn't targets be gauged to support the whole spectrum of that speed and power factor dictated by SASS. I fully support the actions and respect the decisions of the clubs I shoot at but to start blaming me because I shoot a heavier, but SASS legal load, than some is playing the 'blame game' and I ain't playin' that game.

In this case I beleive that there should be no blame on anyone or anything and I support the 'these things happen' and go from there. Also, no where in my OP or follow up post was I degrading anything about the Mason County Marshals and the club. If anyone has seen any of my posts either from this thread or other threads I have only shared praise and respect for that club!

Yup, it's all your fault Gunner. Everyone knows targets should only be rated to withstand the impact of a BB from a Red Ryder. Anyone what brings anything more high powered than that should not even be allowed to shoot. Heck, you should get a P for even thinking about original black powder loads. Maybe even a MDQ. Maybe even booted plumb out of SASS and forced to shoot IPSC for the next year. ;)

Please understand this post is pure satire.

I've only broken one target, but I have made many others beg for mercy! :lol:

The target broke sure and it may have been my shot that caused it - how we are sure that it was actually my shot that broke it? I mean...sure the targets are inspected before a shoot, but micro-fractures (doesn't matter how well one visually inspects a target unless you have special equipment to detect that sort of thing it ain't gonna be seen), or other imperfections of a bolt, metal/impact fatique from 1000's of rounds hitting the target, or whatever can also be a reason a target or piece of the target fails - just sounds like the blame is going to the shooter...

As I mentioned to you and all others I talked about I didn't want to make this a big deal, but now it seems I am getting blamed for this. I was told that 'these things happened' and I was 100& good with it. There was no 'blame' on anyone with this as I was asked what the situation would be to folks at the shoot an there on the Wire. So I guess that folks that shoot Pale Rider BP should not shoot at that club because they may 'break' targets. There is a speed and power factor allowed in SASS and my cartridges are within spec. Shouldn't targets be gauged to support the whole spectrum of that speed and power factor dictated by SASS. I fully support the actions and respect the decisions of the clubs I shoot at but to start blaming me because I shoot a heavier, but SASS legal load, than some is playing the 'blame game' and I ain't playin' that game.

In this case I beleive that there should be no blame on anyone or anything and I support the 'these things happen' and go from there. Also, no where in my OP or follow up post was I degrading anything about the Mason County Marshals and the club. If anyone has seen any of my posts either from this thread or other threads I have only shared praise and respect for that club!

"TARGET FAILURE

In the event a target fails, the Chief Range Officer shall instruct the shooter to "shoot where it was." This call will never result in a penalty of any kind to the shooter. This process has been found to be far less confusing, and thereby safer, to the shooter than re-quiring an alternate target to be engaged, although it is perfectly acceptable for the shooter to engage an alternate target and be scored for hits and misses in the normal manner. Do not allow the shooter to engage a downed target" Range Officer Training Course (Level II) Compiled and Edited by The Wild Bunch and Friends Version L January 2012

Seems fairly straightforward from the RO Book

Heeee Haaaa ..Gunner .. Hold your fire,You can't take all the credit for brakein the target.. :huh: Ifin I recollect (it was yesteday,and it was the third target in a progresive sweep, and you were shootin pritin-near towards the end of the possee,and I was ashootin Pale-Rider, I hit it three times my own self,you just finished it off, I Drew First Blood... :P

NOBODY is Blameing you for breakin anything.. Calm Down.I believe it was being pointed out that the target was fine for the 12 or 14 shooters ahead of ya..You were the LUCKY one thats all :D Believe Me you are not the first Cowboy ta break a target at our club.. :) We get targets repaired a few times a year, Its no big deal.. ;)

Pale-Rider loads, Our targets can take any load thats SASS legal.We don't gage our targets, we dont have to. The club " Mason County Marshals" have no limits on ammo, power factor,shot size as long as it SASS legal.. :rolleyes: AS long as the shooter demenstraghts he or she can handle the loads their shooting and not a Safety issue..

Heeee Haaaa crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I don't know what other clubs you've shot at in Michigan, but I have never been stopped or even question about my Pale -Rider loads. :wub:I know you wont either.. So don't be so THIN-SKINNED you are going ta get harassed,picked on about shootin black Powder Thats part of it..So Keep Grinnin and Shootin..

Archived