SASS Wire Forum

Speakin of dawgs

Utah Bob #35998

I'm goin through town the other day and got behind this Ford flatbed with a Blue Heeler on board. He's running back and forth as they do, barking at the passing cars and the oncoming cars. Then the truck stopped at a red light. There's a guy standing on the sidewalk. The Heeler barks at him too. He jumps.

It occurred to me that Blue Heelers, being herding dogs, bark at everything that moves to herd it.

Then they bark at everything that doesn't move to see if they can get it to move...to herd it. :lol:

Now don't get me started on Border Collies. :P

BC's will nip at your heels to get you to move, Bob :rolleyes::blush:

Maybe I should get one of them and take it to all the shoots with me. Nipping at my heels might make me faster when I have to move during a stage :lol:

BC's will nip at your heels to get you to move, Bob :rolleyes::blush:

Heeler will too

The folks that moved into the house at the foot of our hill have an Australian Shepard..Not my favorite breed, they have fur that resembles a worn-out shag carpet from the '70's, and I have yet to see one that didn't have a bad attitude and barked at EVERYTHING that moved..They apparently installed one of those invisible fences around their lot, or he would probably have already gotten hisself in trouble! <_<

Anyhoo, like I said he barks at everything that moves..This particular house has a small yard that is bordered on one side by the creek, and on another by the road..Last night someone drove their truck over the bank into the creek, turning it over on its side and vamoosed..Probably had been overindulging in liquid refreshment.. :wacko:

The thing was, that yappy mutt never made a sound last night while all this was apparently going on..Of course he was barking his fool head off at both me and the LE guys this morning as we were looking over the scene.. :lol:

Careful now, Bob. I got my first Border Collie when I was eleven years old, and I've been sold on stock dogs ever since. Like an old packer friend of mine used to say, "There's nothing like a yappy dog to keep bears out of camp." :D

Patsy, the Border Collie with friend

I've had two Australian Shepherds, neither of which I would call excessive barkers. Heck, I didn't know our first one could bark until she was almost a year old. Scared the daylights out of me and Mrs. Doc! I guess I have just been fortunate, because both of ours have been pretty mild mannered, and the ones we know among the horse show crowd are the same way. We also now have a Border Collie, about a year old and she will bark at our Aussie if she is not doing what the Border Collie expects of her at that particular moment. Nips at her until the Aussie has had enough and snaps back. Like Pack Saddle Slim, I'm pretty well sold on 'em.

Now the Jack Russell Terrorist I mean Terrier...

There's one thing that's kinda bad about owning a Border Collie, though. It's pretty tough having a dog that's smarter than its owner. :blink:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Long ago... in a galaxy far, far away... I used to run 5 miles a day. Around a country-block of roads, roughly 1 1/4 miles square on each side.

One day on this route... I was runnin' up my favorite hill, when I come upon one of the high-fallootin' wimmen on horseback... ridin' up the road ahead of me. (She was the daughter of a GM car dealer in the area.) She was well-equiped... complete with ridin'-crop... the tall, high-rounded-hat... puff-thigh pants... and three vicious blue heelers in tow.

When I ran up on 'em... the dogs started attackin' me in a tri-coordinated fashion... not unlike coyotes or wolves pack-huntin'. I kept on runnin'... all the time hearin' the girl laughin' at me... whilst the dogs tore my socks off and badly bitin' on my ankles in the process. When I got back to the house, I called the useless law. They showed up... talked to the girl, who denied it... then nearly arrested me for sundry offenses. Me with bloody legs.

A month later... it happened again... but this time... an old lady drivin' a car witnessed the incedent... and she called the law. One big law-dawg who showed up... takes me aside and says to me. "Son... get yaself a gun... don't let this happen to you again."

And I didn't.

When "third times charm" came around... I left a real sad immature girl, ridin' a horse... and you can guess the rest.

First time I ever used a Taurus PT99AF... which I do not really like... but all 18 rounds came in handy that day.

Long ago...

ts

I'm goin through town the other day and got behind this Ford flatbed with a Blue Heeler on board. He's running back and forth as they do, barking at the passing cars and the oncoming cars. Then the truck stopped at a red light. There's a guy standing on the sidewalk. The Heeler barks at him too. He jumps.

It occurred to me that Blue Heelers, being herding dogs, bark at everything that moves to herd it.

Then they bark at everything that doesn't move to see if they can get it to move...to herd it. :lol:

Oh......Do tell us, U B ! :lol: :lol:

When "third times charm" came around... I left a real sad immature girl, ridin' a horse... and you can guess the rest.

First time I ever used a Taurus PT99AF... which I do not really like... but all 18 rounds came in handy that day.

Long ago...

ts

Dang, TS...if my fourth grade math serves me right, that's six rounds per dawg!!! I'll bet lil' Missy was a tad more careful with her pets after that...assuming she ever got another dog again. :blink:

I've had two Australian Shepherds, neither of which I would call excessive barkers. Heck, I didn't know our first one could bark until she was almost a year old. Scared the daylights out of me and Mrs. Doc! I guess I have just been fortunate, because both of ours have been pretty mild mannered, and the ones we know among the horse show crowd are the same way. We also now have a Border Collie, about a year old and she will bark at our Aussie if she is not doing what the Border Collie expects of her at that particular moment. Nips at her until the Aussie has had enough and snaps back. Like Pack Saddle Slim, I'm pretty well sold on 'em.

you had it right the first time[terrorist]

There's one thing that's kinda bad about owning a Border Collie, though. It's pretty tough having a dog that's smarter than its owner. :blink:

What's worse is the fact that it knows it is smarter.

The best breed of dawg is whatever one you like.I've had several Springers and loved them, Had a Golden and he was special. Had two Dandie Dinmont Terriers and I'd take another in a flash. Currently own two rescues a Golden/Springer mix, and a 94 lb, God knows what mix. Both great dogs. However with all that said I'm getting to old to really own an active dog that needs to be run. When I lose these I'll either have to do without another dog, although I can't imagine not having at least one, or get a little yapper.

Bugs

I don't like untrained stock dogs. Shoeing horses for over 25 years nothing worse than having your head down shoeing a front foot Horse tied up and out of nowhere comes a dog and heels the horse .What a wreck. Notice I said untrained.I saw a sheep man load 10 head of sheep into a back of a trailer in an open field with two dogs . It was great to watch. Somebody asked me if I liked dogs. I said no. After shoeing for 25 years I have never been bit by anybody's cat.

That's good to hear..Guess I've just had the bad luck to be exposed to the ones with bad 'tudes..Border Collies are a cool breed, I've watched them exibit some AMAZING herding skills at the Highland Games..It was obvious the owners had spent a lot of hours training them..They can herd geese, sheep, and probably cattle if trained right.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Dang, TS...if my fourth grade math serves me right, that's six rounds per dawg!!! :blink:

Yeah... best as I can recollect... I missed more times than hit. Only... on the last three shots... I walked up to each... and made sure. Strange... but even at the time, I don't remember a lot about what I did. I was so infuriated.... and just "lost it".

Not proud of it, at all... wished it had not happened. Afterwards... although nothin' happened legally... and won't go into it... I suffered greatly in the community. Folks just hate dog killers.

ts

Yeah... best as I can recollect... I missed more times than hit. Only... on the last three shots... I walked up to each... and made sure. Strange... but even at the time, I don't remember a lot about what I did. I was so infuriated.... and just "lost it".

Not proud of it, at all... wished it had not happened. Afterwards... although nothin' happened legally... and won't go into it... I suffered greatly in the community. Folks just hate dog killers.

ts

Dear TS,

You have a good attitude about it and the "patience of a saint" to allow it to happen three times before "losing it." It sounds like folks didn't know the whole story if they hated you for protecting yourself. Shame on their owner for allowing it to happen. She got those dogs killed!

:wub:

AM

Dear TS,

You have a good attitude about it and the "patience of a saint" to allow it to happen three times before "losing it." It sounds like folks didn't know the whole story if they hated you for protecting yourself. Shame on their owner for allowing it to happen. She got those dogs killed!

Exactly!! It's like Lightning Ross said...it's the untrained dogs that get into trouble...and it's the owner's fault for not training them.

I DON'T HAVE A DOG! :(

CAPTAIN JACK, HOWEVER, HAS A PERSON. :)

Yep...and Captain Jack has had a real tough time training him!! :lol:

We had a bunch of Border Collies at the ranch when I was growing up! We had an old momma dog who always picked up a rock and carried it in her mouth when she was working! When she was finished she would drop it! No Barking, all the others did all the barking!!! Now If I could just get the wife to carry a rock in her mouth!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's good to hear..Guess I've just had the bad luck to be exposed to the ones with bad 'tudes..Border Collies are a cool breed, I've watched them exibit some AMAZING herding skills at the Highland Games..It was obvious the owners had spent a lot of hours training them..They can herd geese, sheep, and probably cattle if trained right.

I've heard others who have run into aggressive ones, or ones that have been otherwise problematic, so I am sure they are out there! I simply haven't been unfortunate enough to run into any of them in my travels. You are absolutely right, the things Border Collies can do with a herd of sheep is simply amazing.

They're amazing dogs all right. They'll herd anything. The one I have now, Patsy, will even herd our chickens. On the other hand, though, that can be a problem with little kids if you aren't careful and put an end to it before it gets out of hand. The dogs think they are the protector of the kids and will start to herd them. If the toddler doesn't move in the direction the dog wants it to, the dog will sometimes give the little tyke a nip.

Of course, when I was a kid, my Border collie's protective instincts worked in my favor. My dad decided I needed a good spanking one night (which I did), and he proceeded to "paddle my canoe," so to speak. He got one or two good wallops in before the dog, who was lying on the floor, lit into my old man. From then on, Ol' Mike had to be put up before I got disciplined. :D

I have had as many as 5 Australian Shepherds at one time. Terrific dogs and the only time any of them barked was at someone in the yard. Versatile, friendly yet protective and loving would be terms I would use to describe them.

the girls

Left to right - Breeze, Avens, Brit and Rosie

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I have had as many as 5 Australian Shepherds at one time. Terrific dogs and the only time any of them barked was at someone in the yard. Versatile, friendly yet protective and loving would be terms I would use to describe them.

the girls

Regards

Gateway Kid

OMG! That is a fabulous photo. Such pretty fur babies!

the girls

Regards

Gateway Kid

Very B)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Great picture, Gateway!...and good-looking girls, too. :)

Archived