SASS Wire Forum

Took the Mad Russian and the 11-87 to the range this afternoon and popped off some of the roll your own shotgun shells I made last month.

Every thing worked just fine. Had a little more pop that I thought but is was not bad. Should take the knock downs ok.

I did notice that the primer on the 11-87 was not a dented as the Russian.

Good news! I'm planning on testing some of mine a week from tomorrow. Going to take a Saturday off from working on my mother in laws house and go shoot a match. I think I have a box and a half of factory shells left that I'll take along just in case there is a problem with the ones I made, but I doubt there will be.

Works for me, I had trouble hitting them dang things this past CaC. All in all I shot the worst match I've shot since my first year in the game, but I still had a ton of fun.

Ya don't need to hit the targets to have fun.

Chickasaw, I am so good at missing targets, I just plain don't need no excuse.

Every body expects it. When I go to the line and shoot, when I come to the KDs the next

shooter steps to the line ready to go. :lol:

yeah, that's what I'm using too I think, either 8 or 7.5 I don't remember. I have one box with less that optimal crimps I want to use up first, hope the crimps don't come undone with the shells in my belt :D

I fiddled long and hard with my crimps but the last ones looked almost professional. I think the difference was because I was using less lead than the original shells had.

But the crimp pedals all meet in the middle and there is no gap.

My problem was a total brain fart. The instructions for the lee load all told you how to position the shell in the pre crimp stage. I got it backwards for a while before I broke out the distructions and realized I'd forgotten since I'd started out a few days earlier.

I have many in that one box that you can see a BB in the middle of the crimp.

I have some like that in an old coffee can. I don't know what to do with them. Will try to reclaim the shot and maybe the shot wad. Powder is most likely contaminated.

I think I can resize the hull with the primer in, then re load it and crimp, so maybe I can salvage them.

Don't have all that many, maybe a box at the most.

If you've got a LOW TEMP glue gun, you can put just the slightest dab of glue in the center. It'll keep your crimp from opening up any more and also keep the shot from running out.

Thanks for the tip, Red. But somehow, some of the shot has already run out.

I am shotless in Seattle. :lol:

I think I would feel better about just reconstruction at this part.

Badger, have ya tryed a shot card on yur shot just before ya crimp ? :unsure:

I reload both brass shells and plastic hulls and that is what I do. No shot will come out.

If you what to water proof yur shells, place a shot card over yur powder charge. Would'nt affect yur shot shell at all. ;)

yeah, that's what I'm using too I think, either 8 or 7.5 I don't remember. I have one box with less that optimal crimps I want to use up first, hope the crimps don't come undone with the shells in my belt :D

I gimped a crimp and got cramps in ma hand!! Griz I have a bunch of shells with "less than optimal" crimps.

I have some like that in an old coffee can. I don't know what to do with them. Will try to reclaim the shot and maybe the shot wad. Powder is most likely contaminated.

I think I can resize the hull with the primer in, then re load it and crimp, so maybe I can salvage them.

Don't have all that many, maybe a box at the most.

BMC, I've decided to just shoot up all my "less than optimal crimps." It's a whole heap more fun than trying to disassemble them. Might just use them for pra***ce one afternoon!

I think some of my AA hulls are a little shorter than others....I've heard that someplace. If they are a little shorter there's less material to form the "optimal" crimp that we all strive for. I'll have to run that down....seem to recall that older AA's might be a little bit shorter...something like that anyway.

Badger, have ya tryed a shot card on yur shot just before ya crimp ? :unsure:

I reload both brass shells and plastic hulls and that is what I do. No shot will come out.

If you what to water proof yur shells, place a shot card over yur powder charge. Would'nt affect yur shot shell at all. ;)

That is a good idea, Hawk. I have the crimp worked out pretty well but I am loading less shot than the original loading in the shell at the factor. I will keep an eye on them, and if I see any degradation. I will measure the depression to see how thick I need the shot card. I suppose a 20 gauge would be better or what?

I gimped a crimp and got cramps in ma hand!! Griz I have a bunch of shells with "less than optimal" crimps.

BMC, I've decided to just shoot up all my "less than optimal crimps." It's a whole heap more fun than trying to disassemble them. Might just use them for pra***ce one afternoon!

I think some of my AA hulls are a little shorter than others....I've heard that someplace. If they are a little shorter there's less material to form the "optimal" crimp that we all strive for. I'll have to run that down....seem to recall that older AA's might be a little bit shorter...something like that anyway.

I am concerned that shooting them without a full charge of shot might not be the safest thing to do.

Took the Mad Russian and the 11-87 to the range this afternoon and popped off some of the roll your own shotgun shells I made last month.

Every thing worked just fine. Had a little more pop that I thought but is was not bad. Should take the knock downs ok.

I did notice that the primer on the 11-87 was not a dented as the Russian.

...let me load them thar shotshells for ya... ...mine go boom too!!! <_<

Depends on what gauage you shoot.

I shoot a 12 gauage so I use 11 gauage over shot card.

I may just set that box aside and take them up to the mountains for general target practice, less chance the shot will run out or crimp will open up that way.

Sounds like a good plan. I take all of my "goobers" to the range for practice. Usually load about 500 or so rounds at a pop and will end up with a box of em that don't pass the chamber check, have a hole in the center, splits in the crimp folds or a misfolded crimp. They all go boom and work good in place of first quality match ammo. Looking forward to seeing ya at the Pawnee reopening.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW I have never had a crimp reopen or lost enough shot that it would not take down a KD.

Archived