SASS Wire Forum

Gonna pick up one of these at the local Harbor Freight

Looks good, remember in a wind they will blow over your gun cart, have seen it happened many times, damaged a few gun carts and seen rifles and shotguns get stuff in the barrels. My thought is to get one that has the center vents so that the wind can't carry the gun cart away or tip over, myself I don't have one for this reason, my gun isn't to heavy to begin with and it is narrow.

Might want to look around for the ones that have center vents, especially if it is anchored to your gun cart like most are, that is the problem with the wind, unless your gun cart is very heavy which most people don't have any more, they like the light weight ones so it isn't to heavy to push on a 6 stage match, that can wear a person by the end of the day. Mine isn't heavy but by the end of a 6 stage match I'm tired of pushing it.

Ok, I have said what I know and have seen, YMMV, your decision

All for now JD Trampas

IIRC I paid about 30 bucks for my umbrella at Walmart. It was designed for patio use. It has the top vent which was a requirement for me as it gets windy up here. It does well in breezy conditions where some non vented ones don't. Of course if the wind comes up strong the umbrella gets folded down.

Pards - my cart is rather heavy (too heavy) - it's like furniture - so it should be stable in most situations...

of course I did see a pards cart get blown over last year and the poor fellas stuff went everywhere ~ after helping him gather all the goods I learned about what items I should consider adding to the cart :lol:

Since it is only $7.99 (at this store) I think I'll mosey on over there and pick it up today..

If I do get a chance to use it I will let y'all know how it goes - thanks again!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Hey Gunner,

some umbrellas are for shade only. If you get the 'for shade only' type, it won't keep your stuff dry during a rain.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Make sure its an umbrella that is for rain.

..........Widder

Hey Gunner,

some umbrellas are for shade only. If you get the 'for shade only' type, it won't keep your stuff dry during a rain.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Make sure its an umbrella that is for rain.

..........Widder

Thanks amigo :) - maybe if it's not I can add... This from the slicker thread...

I have a big golf umbrella but I think the Titleist logo wouldn't 'fit' so well :lol:

Almost any umbrella can be water proofed, by spraying with ScotchGard fabric stain protector. That is what I even used on my Gore Tex rain gear after spilling fish bait smell jelly/oil all over the rain gear in rough water fishing in Alaska. Wife would not let it back in RV until washed several times. As far as umbrellas go, I purchased a good one at Costco. It was a BeniHana umbrella and it is larger and great in the wind with a wind dump built in. My gun cart is very light and I worried about it flying away with too much wind.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I will probably work okay for your cart.

We got ours from the Dollar Store.

we bought a whole bundle of them in hunter green for $6.99 each.

They are cloth with wooden stuts. We get about a year or two out of them.

They were made in India.

Mustang

of course I did see a pards cart get blown over last year and the poor fellas stuff went everywhere ~ after helping him gather all the goods I learned about what items I should consider adding to the cart :lol:

Like a cinder block? :lol:

Umbrellers are fine unless yore too dumb to fold em down when the wind picks up. Like I did once. :blush:

Umbrellers are fine unless yore too dumb to fold em down when the wind picks up. Like I did once. :blush:

That's what I was thinkin'.

Polyester (which is porous) works for shade but vinyl (which is heavy) is better for rain. I've got one of each. If you want to know what the weather forcast for the day is, just look at which umbrella I'm sportin' on my cart.

Light rain=yes. Mild wind,very doubtful.

Yep. From my observation they either rip apart in the wind or flip your cart over. Flipping your cart over in a heavy wind goes with any umbrella.

I was just at HF and they had them at my store in nice Brown "Cowboy" canvas type cloth with a wood pole. I'm going back to buy a few of them for my shooting buddies.

Gunner I have this umbrella and it does work in light rain but is better suited for shade. I also attach it to my cart lightly so if a wind comes up it takes the umbrella and leaves the cart.

What he said.

Anything that gives you some help against rain and gives shade is worth it. That said I did have a cart blow over and it was heavy. Since then I have changed to a jogging cart type (Rugged Gear). Now all I have to worry about is chasing it around. The umbrella works as a paea-sail. Still worth having, just be ready for the downside.

This is what I have .

It works great.

I have had mine for 4 years now .

God bless !

Last umbrella I bought at harbor freight lasted exactly 1.5 matches before it fell apart.

Did get a very good one at costco that has vents in it to keep it in one place and not rip apart in the wind, tested it at an airshow when a huey helicpter took off next to me while I was holding it, worked great and when the vents opened It made it easy to keep aholt of........Doc

This is what I have .

It works great.

I have had mine for 4 years now .

God bless !

Looks good. :unsure:

Well...on Friday night we had a good down pour and I left it outside...after an hour there was no leakage...so hopefully it will last. It is a little flimbsy, and I understand ya get what ya paid for - but at this price it's worth trying it.

Still should invest in a slicker someday and saw some good one's on the 'slicker' thread.

Got this'n at Home Depot about 8 or 9 years ago. Works well.

Comes in handy for automotive work too. :lol:

I have a small tarp just the right size for covering up my gun cart. I keep it rolled up inside of my slicker and tied to my gun cart (just like a cowboy behind the saddle).

Those umbrellas are too much bother IMHO.

CPK

Archived