SASS Wire Forum

Gas and Diesel

Noz

I drive a 1998 Dodge 5.4L 4x4 with less than 90XXX on it. I got terribly concerned about the upcoming shooting season and the relativly poor gas mileage that the little truck gets when pulling a trailer.

I shopped a little and saw several trucks with 5.4-5.7L engines that were touted as getting 17-19 on the highway.

I made a trip Sunday and decided that just for the heck of it I would compute gas mileage on the little truck. I got just a little under 16 under mixed driving conditions.

It would cost me 10 grand to trade for something I would like.

Seems like I could buy an awfully lot of gas or deisel with that 10 grand. Be a long time breaking even on 2-3 miles to the gallon.

Think I'll just run with what I brung.

Totally agree! I have a Ford F350 with a 7.3 diesel power plant.

The truck alone gets 17ish on the highway and with the 24' trailer

I manage 11 ish, but I'm so comfortable with the truck after

10 years I would be foolish to look for a better rig.

Happy trails :D

QDG/Mike

I totally agree. Drive what you got until the wheels fall off. And as long as it's not constantly in the shop, spend the money on repairs and preventive maintenance. Beats the heck out of paying 6 years worth of monthly payments...and you STILL gotta buy the gas to go in it!

I totally agree. Drive what you got until the wheels fall off. And as long as it's not constantly in the shop, spend the money on repairs and preventive maintenance. Beats the heck out of paying 6 years worth of monthly payments...and you STILL gotta buy the gas to go in it!

Yup. Finally convinced the mem sahib that the F250 will be with us until it becomes a planter.

Unless we hit the lottery.

I have a '96 F250 and as much as I would like a new truck I have told family and friends I am going to drive t till it dies even if I have to push it the last mile. As long as parts don't kill me I can fix anything on it.Besides the next truck I am going to get will be from the '50s or '60s I don't like the new trucks

The whole mileage thing got started by my granddaughter. She has a job that requires 150 to 200 miles per day. She bought a diesel VW and is getting around near 50 mpg. Course she has $17000 worth of car payments too.

I drive a 1998 Dodge 5.4L 4x4 with less than 90XXX on it. I got terribly concerned about the upcoming shooting season and the relativly poor gas mileage that the little truck gets when pulling a trailer.

I shopped a little and saw several trucks with 5.4-5.7L engines that were touted as getting 17-19 on the highway.

I made a trip Sunday and decided that just for the heck of it I would compute gas mileage on the little truck. I got just a little under 16 under mixed driving conditions.

Seems like I could buy an awfully lot of gas or deisel with that 10 grand. Be a long time breaking even on 2-3 miles to the gallon.

I have a Chevy Suburban and Chevy C/K 2500 HD, each has a 5.7 L engine, and they get 15 mph on good days....

I've been a diesel fan for a long, long time. I'm not a fan of the high price of diesel (v. gasoline).

I still drive a '96 Ford F-250 with 7.3 diesel. It's about to turn 254,000 miles. It currently needs: a new inside door handle with internal parts on driver's side (roll down window, open door from outside), a new power steering pump (it's consuming about a quart a month), new brakes (they're starting to shudder), and probably a few other things. I replaced the shocks last weekend.

That said, I will not "replace" it. It hauls/pulls anything...including my house off the foundation if I had that desire. I may buy a car in the not-so-distant future, but I'll keep the truck for its usefulness.....and give it to Ellie Mae when she turns 16 in another year and a half. At least I'll know that if she hits something (or something hits her), she'll have the "mass" part of the F = M X A on her side. And if she dents it, who cares?

I like diesel trucks because of the pull power and longevity. I don't think I could get 254,000 miles out a gas burner. I'm sure there are some out there, but I've never had that kind of luck with a gasoline truck.

FWIW

Chick

I'm driving a 1990 Chevy Suburban (1/2 ton Scottsdale) with a 350 engine, 700R4 trans (overdrive) that gets 15.7 mpg.

It has 240,800 miles on the original engine without a rebuild. If things still work, why replace it. It cost $16,500 new.

I would like to see it go for another 10,000 miles and then think about upgrading to something newer.

Big Jake

I'm driving a 1990 Chevy Suburban (1/2 ton Scottsdale) with a 350 engine, 700R4 trans (overdrive) that gets 15.7 mpg.

It has 240,800 miles on the original engine without a rebuild. If things still work, why replace it. It cost $16,500 new.

I would like to see it go for another 10,000 miles and then think about upgrading to something newer.

Big Jake

If there was a gas burner I'd have bet on getting that kind of mileage out of, it would have been the 350. Probably one of the best gasoline engines of all time for reliability....IMHO....of course.

Chick

The only reason to go to diesel is if your gasser simply can't pull your trailer properly.

I had a 2006 GMC, Heavy 3/4 ton with the big V8. Worse tow truck I ever owned. Second gear and 6K RPM just pulling a 5,000 pound trailer up an eastern hill. It got near 17mpg not towing and 8 with the trailer. Horrible!

I traded it in on a 2006 Dodge with God's own straight 6 diesel. EASILY the best truck I've ever owned. Solid front axle, a real chassis, huge rear differential, a REAL tractor motor. I now pull a 10K pound trailer at times and it never seases to amaze me what "balls" this truck has. It never downshifts no matter the hill. And it gets 17mpg towing a 10K trailer and 20mpg without. I did put a "Juice with Attitude" controller and a free flow exhaust system and a huge Cool Air air cleaner.

You are correct to run 'em until they die, then fix 'em and run 'em some more. My truck will hit 200K in a few weeks. I've done nothing mechanical to the truck. Fuel, Oil, Brakes, Tires........one rear universal joint after acting like a fool with the "Attitude" turned up to "5" and showing someone how you could spin all four tires......Idiot! But it is amazing what an 8800 pound truck can do. It blows peoples minds when on the highway it will accellerate from 40-80 in a flash!

I love this truck!

I have a 1972 Ford 250 4X4 with the 360 gas engine the mileage 321652 yes it has had a home made overhaul at 296???. I have driven it both my daughters drove it to highschool and now it plows snow when need be. It just keeps on ticking.

My 2 Chevy Trailblazers are paid for. The 2002 LTZ EXT has a 6 banger and gets 21 MPG on the road. The 2007 LT has the 5.3 engine with active fuel management system and gets 28 MPG @ 55 MPH, 26 @ 65 MPH and 24 @ 70 MPH. These are actual numbers and I don't drive over the speed limit. I set my cruise control and get in the right lane and enjoy the scenery.

Trade them in? Absolutely not! I can buy a lot of gas for 600.00 a month payments.... Plus, I wouldn't get a vehicle as capable for hauling my family and shooting stuff, nor would I have something to get in and out of my streets and alley where my garage entrance is when Chicago dumps all kinds of cloud vomit on us in the winter.....

Reminds me of something I heard on the radio "If you want econmy your going to have to pay for it".

My 4WD F350 PSD gets maybe 16 or so, and my F150 isn't much better. Almost two years ago, I bought a 1982 Honda Civic w/62,040 original miles and put permanent tags on it. (Basically - 11+ year old vehicle, pay 3 years taxes on it and the tags are permanent as long as you own the vehicle) It's in great shape, I replaced the timing belt/tensioner/water pump when I bought it, everything works, and it consistently gets in the high 43 mpg range. Even factoring in the original price, parts, and insurance, the thing has paid for itself three times over now in fuel savings. :)

My truck is a 2001 Dodge with the 5.9 in it, I've never checked the mileage on it. It gets what it gets and costs a small fortune to fill up, but when I need a truck, it's there.

My daily driver is a 98 Civic. Just for grins, last week I checked the mileage on it for a quick turn and burn between home and Colorado Springs. Maybe 180 miles round trip. Weather was crappy and I was fighting wind both ways, either across the side, or in my face, never seemed to be at my back though. It got 37 and change.

As most matches are an hour or more each way from home, I drive the Civic.

...now the RV, it has a 330 cummings diesel hooked to Allison 6 speed automatic and we get 8 MPG or so...

I have 93 GMC 4x4 I bought new put a little over 476,000 miles on it dropped a new long block in it ready for another 476,000 mile. Got 16.2 miles mpg today couldn't believe it. I used the cruz all freeway 450 mile then foiled up. Happy with the way it's running. Gas here is $4.23 a gallon for the low and $4.79 for the high.

If the EPA would get out of the way, there's plenty of diesel-powered cars and SUV's that get great mileage that we can't get in the USA.

Ford of Europe makes a diesel version of the Escape that gets 48 MPG, and a version of the Focus that gets 55 MPG. There's even a Kia that gets 88 MPG.

Even with diesel costing about 30 cents more a gallon than gasoline, the payback would be almost immediate.

I have a E350 cargo van .

It is my work truck I run service in it.

It gets about 12 to 14 MPG.

I use it also as my Poor white boy motor home . :rolleyes:

So I dont need to haul a camper !

Saves me 5,000 on a popup and 3 MPG of gas buy NOT pulling a camper . :blink:

I have two Ford trucks-one is a 1999 F350 with the 7.4L diesel and 140,000+ miles. It will pull a trailer with 30,000 pounds of hay through the field no problem. Some body damage on it but I don't think it will ever wear out. My daily driver is a 2002 F150 V-8 with 160,000+. It runs like a top and I live in terror of the day it craps out on me. I am afraid I am going to need a new truck within the next year. If so it will be a diesel. I was TDY for 8 months out in San Angelo a while back and had to drive by a Ford dealership on my way to visit the shooting range. Right there on the corner, taunting me, were dozens of brand new shiny Ford trucks. I had to stop and look. The sticker price was more than double what I paid for my first house. I ran for my old truck and peeled out of the parking lot as a salesman approached. Went to the range, shot my guns, and went back to my room at the Inn. Opened e-mail on my computer and there was a message from USAA. "Congratulations-you have been pre-approved for a $50,000 new car loan". How did they know I had been looking at new trucks? Do they have cameras in the lot? So far I have been able to resist the temptation to buy a new truck. I don't yet need a new truck. But they sure are purty. I am bothered by intrusive thoughts of King Ranch options, the smooth feel of new leather, the gleaming woodgrain dash, the shiny chrome grille....... My Labrador will look great in a new truck as we head out for South Dakota to hunt pheasants this October. I don't really need a new truck. But they sure are purty. Pray for me. :FlagAm:

Ol' green will roll up 330,000 mi. this week and it's over fifteen years old. Pulls the hat trailer at better than the speed limit and will get 12 mpg unloaded, 9 mpg with everything you can load on the trailer. 454s are the toughest engine you can buy and it is a shame they don't sell 'em anymore. I'll have to just restore the truck to get what I want when the time comes.

And the best thing about it is the NONOTE!! :lol:

I have a 1999 F350 4x4 with the 7.3 PSD, has the 3 speed w/od automatic. It's a short bed, extra cab. It has almost 220K miles on it. Gets between 16 & 20 on the highway (depends on how fast I drive, the faster I drive, the faster the diesel goes)and between 10 & 12 towing my 10,000# trailer. I have never touched the tranny (just service), get 90 to 100K in a set of brakes and never done much to the engine. With a replacement costing close to 60K, I am planning on driving this truck for a long time.

This is my 3rd diesel and even with the cost of it above gas, it still get MUCH better performance & mileage than a comparable gas engine. I only wish our 2004 Explorer was a diesel too!!!

Geee, I feel like a kid here. My '82 F100, three on the tree gets between 18 and 22, depending on how I tinker with it. It will pull anything I got, and never work up a sweat. It has a straight 6 4.9L mill. Near

200K on the odometer. Guess I will keep it.

My 2005 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the Duramax and Allison transmission gets 20mpg. It has a added free breathing air cleaner and the programmer installed.

If I use my right foot correctly and leave the programmer off the super high performance setting I receive 13.5 and 14.5 mpg towing 33 ft. travel trailer. She only has 85,000 so it will be with us for a very long time.

The heated leather seats with air bladders to make you comfortable, heated mirrors so that rain and cold don't stop you from seeing with the back glass heated also. It also has a 6 disc Bose sound system and is as nice riding as can be.

Much better vehicle than most trucks I have ever driven. Looking at receiving at least 300,000 from her.

I get upset when I know we could be driving with the price of Diesel much lower though. When I was growing up it was always at the bottom in pricing. Now that a lot of people drive them the price is now higher than the top grades. A lot of thievery if you ask me.

Decided to throw my feet out and do something I rarely do. I'm taking the little Dodge to the mechanic tomorrow for a tune up when it really is running pretty good. He thinks I may have a little oxygen sensor problem that might get me another mile or two per gallon. I'm also getting a little transmission flutter that I have fixed in the past with a transmission additive.

It will be running so good I may enter it in the NASCAR truck series next weekend :rolleyes:

Archived