SASS Wire Forum

What is the Cowboy Way

Written by writers to help sell TV shows.

Now not saying they are not good words. They are.

But not real life either.

I have gotten when people on here talk about the Cowboy Way. I have to roll my eyes.

As most don't have a clue about Cowboying. NOT talking about the TV kind. But real Cowboying.

It is NOT like the TV shows.

I have gotten when people on here talk about the Cowboy Way. I have to roll my eyes.

As most don't have a clue about Cowboying. NOT talking about the TV kind. But real Cowboying.

Hard, dirty, unforgiving work. The cowboy way should just be the Golden Rule. If everybody followed that, this would be a nice world to live in. I just make my own corner of the world with like friends who respect the Golden Rule.

That would be the same TV shows that made this sport. Like B-Western.

Roll your eyes if you must...

But TV westerns from which those codes came are the "ancestors" of this sport.

The Cowboy Way actually has nothing to do with cowboying. But because it was hatched on 50s tv shows mostly for buckaroos it sometimes confuses. True, real cowboying is not like those TV shows.

Maybe it should be called the American Way, although few today would see its worth. Just replace "A Cowboy is..." with "An American should".... Or maybe "A decent human being should..."

The authors, be they saints, sinners, or ad men really don't matter. It's the principles embodied in the words.

Can you live your life in this Real World adhering to those principles? Not easy, but I think you can make a pretty good try. :FlagAm:

That would be the same TV shows that made this sport. Like B-Western.

Roll your eyes if you must...

But TV westerns from which those codes came are the "ancestors" of this sport.

That may be. But I did not take it up to re-live Gene and Roy. I never watched them as a kid.

So it just has a whole other meaning to me.

The Cowboy Way is the way to approach life - it all starts with the Golden Rule. Do your best to be an example to others. If ya don't want to...your problem I reckon.

GG

Go tell that to a bunch of West Texas Cowboys.

Perhaps I should have said The Cowboy Way as most people who are SASS members think of it.

This is why I suggested alternative names.

I should have been more specific.

Once again my communications skills fall short.

The Cowboy Way is the way to approach life - it all starts with the Golden Rule. Do your best to be an example to others. If ya don't want to...your problem I reckon.

GG

Yep. And then there are those that need to look in the mirror, and ask themselves if they are practicing

what they are preaching. Before they start preaching it to others.

Basically what I think is what most people have already said. When the cowboys we try to "channel" within the construct of our shooting sport existed, there was no such thing as a "Cowboy Way" or a "Cowboy Code". That all started with the 1950's-era TV shows and the "stars" trying to sell Ovaltine, or BB guns, or de-coder rings, or cap pistols, or breakfast cereal, or (you fill in the blank). Let's not heap too very much glory and honor, beyond that which is due to ANY honorable, productive "working man's" profession, on the folks we "think" we dress like and "act" like. Truth be told...we're pretty darned far from the truth. Let's not ruin it further by making it more than it is.

I'm not a bubble-burster. I just think I kinda sorta know we're all just really dressing up and playing cowboy. Don't mean nuthin' much else...any more than it did when we were 7 years old and I was patrolling Hesperia Avenue for "evil doers"...wearing BOTH a "Bat Masterson-style" tie AND a neckerchief. I figured if one was good, both were probably better.

Yep. And then there are those that need to look in the mirror, and ask themselves if they are practicing

I look at myself in the mirror everyday - see things I like and some I don't - life, and practicing 'the cowboy way' if you will - isn't easy...it's a constant process of working at doing better.

So..enjoy looking at yourself in the mirror - hope ya like what ya see ;) if not, only YOU can fix it...good luck to ya

Happy Trails...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That all started with the 1950's-era TV shows and the "stars" trying to sell Ovaltine, or BB guns, or de-coder rings, or cap pistols, or breakfast cereal, or (you fill in the blank). Let's not heap too very much glory and honor, beyond that which is due to ANY honorable, productive "working man's" profession, on the folks we "think" we dress like and "act" like. Truth be told...we're pretty darned far from the truth. Let's not ruin it further by making it more than it is.

Pretty much. We all have our 'bad hair' days. We all have certain things or certain people that push our buttons. I know I do. I'm not perfect -- far from it. Neither are my SASS pards. But SASS folks as a whole sure beat the pants off of the general public. I've met a lot of mighty fine folks through SASS, and hope to meet a lot more. They are always there for you, if only in spirit. :FlagAm:

I have run across one or two fellers like that.

Or maybe a few more. ;)

Well, whatever anyone chooses to call it, "Cowboy Way", "American Way", "Patriots Way".....

If everyone tried to follow the code of ethics that are spelled out by those old TV Western writers, this world would be much more peaceful and pleasant to live....

and yes, we could all do a better job of it...

And remember, when you or I are pointin' a finger at someone else, 3 more are pointin' back at us...

Johnny (what growed up with some of them old westerns) Tarr

Perhaps I should have said The Cowboy Way as most people who are SASS members think of it.

This is why I suggested alternative names.

I should have been more specific.

Once again my communications skills fall short.

Like the alternative name thing.

And my communication skills are not good as well.

Can be very blunt at times.

I guess that once you have lived a Cowboy life with a bunch of other Cowboys.

Then hearing the "Cowboy Way" TV Land Way, thrown up all the time. Just rubs me the wrong way.

As they can be a real hard, unforgiving bunch. And if they don't like you. YOU KNOW IT.

Guess that is why I did not try and pretend to like the BUG in the other thread that got this one started.

Pretty much. We all have our 'bad hair' days. We all have certain things or certain people that push our buttons. I know I do. I'm not perfect -- far from it. Neither are my SASS pards. But SASS folks as a whole sure beat the pants off of the general public. I've met a lot of mighty fine folks through SASS, and hope to meet a lot more. They are always there for you, if only in spirit. :FlagAm:

Man ya sure nailed it there Okie, I've met some lifelong friends in SASS that I truly cherish. They all abide by the "cowboy way" or whatever ya want to call it. It's just a bunch of good folks. Let's all toast to our SASS pards!;)

Rye

Man ya sure nailed it there Okie, I've met some lifelong friends in SASS that I truly cherish. They all abide by the "cowboy way" or whatever ya want to call it. It's just a bunch of good folks. Let's all toast to our SASS pards!;)

Rye

Here's to ya -- I drinking a 20-year-old tawny port. :)

+ I'll drink to that- but gotta have a good cigar to go with a quality port! :D

I look at the "Cowboy Codes/Way" as something to be aspired to. I grew up with them in the '50s and they, together with my parents basic values and religion helped set these basic codes in my brain.

Not that I'm always successful.... I make more than my share of mistakes :blink: , but I do keep trying to recognize them and correct them for next time. As above, I think most who share this sport try also. It sure shows! :)

Harvey

That Port tastes good! B)

I love Taylor-Fladgate 20. :wub:

I've competed at kinda high levels in various sports and I can say that in all of 'em most of the folks are great folks. Competitors that would give you the shirt off their backs to help ya. At the same time there are always folks that are fakes, cheats, liars...just simply not all that good of people.

I remember at a National Jetski event...pretty important...and one of my teamates boat wouldn't start...you should have seen all the folks trying to get it going...they all wanted my teamate in the race even though without him in, they would pick up more points.

SASS isn't any different...sorry, but that's just my opinion.

:FlagAm:

Oh man, me too! We are drinking a Sandeman tonight though -- pretty good juice, but not as good as Taylor.

Crap. Their goes my weekly budget. I've got to have a bottle now. Been a long time.

How am I supposed to save up for BP with vices like this? :angry:

We actually enjoyed a Taylor's 20 year Tawny Port with a nice steak dinner last weekend ;) Here's to 'pushing each other's button's' in the future :lol:

I've competed at kinda high levels in various sports and I can say that in all of 'em most of the folks are great folks. Competitors that would give you the shirt off their backs to help ya. At the same time there are always folks that are fakes, cheats, liars...just simply not all that good of people.

I remember at a National Jetski event...pretty important...and one of my teamates boat wouldn't start...you should have seen all the folks trying to get it going...they all wanted my teamate in the race even though without him in, they would pick up more points.

Yup - church folks can be the same :lol: ....human beings are interesting critters....

G (who loves Church - the people though...workin' on it ;) )G ~ :FlagAm:

Yup - church folks can be the same :lol: ....human beings are interesting critters....

G (who loves Church - the people though...workin' on it ;) )G ~ :FlagAm:

You said a mouthful there. The same old 10% doing 90% of the work. After Wildcat's dad retired from the post office, he did home remodeling. One of the people who stiffed him on a job? A retired minister! :blink: :blink:

Crap. Their goes my weekly budget. I've got to have a bottle now. Been a long time.

How am I supposed to save up for BP with vices like this? :angry:

You have to pay if you want to run with the big dogs...:lol:;):huh: I've tried several 40-year-old Tawny Ports, but the quality/price ratio is not there. The 20s are the way to go. Some of the 10s are pretty tasty too, e.g. Niepoort.

You have to pay if you want to run with the big dogs...:lol:;):huh: I've tried several 40-year-old Tawny Ports, but the quality/price ratio is not there. The 20s are the way to go. Some of the 10s are pretty tasty too, e.g. Niepoort.

I agree. The 20s are great. First Taylor 20 I bought was so great I thought I'd up my game and go big next time.Bought a 40yr. The wine shop owner told me, "Knowing what I know about your taste in wine Bob, you'll be disappointed". He was right. Stuck with 20s ever since. :)

Helping a pard get the right wine..now that's The Cowboy Way. :lol:

I agree. The 20s are great. First Taylor 20 I bought was so great I thought I'd up my game and go big next time.Bought a 40yr. The wine shop owner told me, "Knowing what I know about your taste in wine Bob, you'll be disappointed". He was right. Stuck with 20s ever since. :)

Helping a pard get the right wine..now that's The Cowboy Way. :lol:

...and lending an ear to a pard's 'whine' can be the 'Cowboy Way' too...:P

You said a mouthful there. The same old 10% doing 90% of the work. After Wildcat's dad retired from the post office, he did home remodeling. One of the people who stiffed him on a job? A retired minister! :blink: :blink:

Seems to apply to the tax ratio too :lol:

I seen that happen at a couple drag races, heard one of the competitors say to the other, I want to beat your ass bad but I don't want no f****** give me

Archived