SASS Wire Forum

IAC 93/97 strange problem

Red Cent

I have one. Had it for a number of years. Shot it a few times then discovered it was one of those with a mis-matched magazine tube and receiver. Won't stay in the receiver. Now I want to use it in WB. Got a Winchester solid frame mag tube, installed it and it cycled fine. I was lubing it a little and cycling the action when, all of a sudden, it jammed. Well, stuck. The carrier and bolt is barely apart. The bolt is about 1/8 from going into battery. Now the fun part. It operates religiously on it side with the port up. Port down, no way. Normal position, iffy. Another interesting part. In normal shooting position it sticks quite often. If I pull the forearm back just a tad while the other fingers are pushing in sideways on the bolt, it will pop to the inside about 1/8", line up and can be shut to battery.

I have had the bolt out a couple of times. No debris. The only thing that touches on the left side is the extractor. I have not removed metal. I have buffed lightly.

The bolt is "normal" all the way back. Little side to side. No more than my other solid frames. Halfway very snug. Almost at battery, something is moving it to the right. Gotta be the extractor. Both rails on the bolt were polished and, of course, the extractors. Can't tell about the wear.

Remember, I have fired the shotgun and it worked well until the tube starts backing out. The replacement tube is working good.

I am going to trade a bolt from one of my other shotguns. Be back and report.

Could the bottom edge of the action slide tip (near where it engages the action slide stop in the carrier) be catching on part of the carrier as it is moving up to lock behind the bolt?

I changed action slides in my old Winchester that was a bit thicker or less worn and had this same issue until I beveled the right side bottom edge of the slide tip a little. Never had any trouble with my 09 IAC/Norinco in that area. Of course my old Winchester has several issues from being just plain worn out.

Trade out one my Winchester solid frame bolts. Hook screw from the IAC would not work. Had to take, maybe, .001 from the bottom edge of the ejection port. Old Winchester hook screw touched. Never noticed but the IAC has a different shaped ejector. Wider hook area and more curved inward. Shorter tail. Have no idea why it started. It works very well, now.

Archived