SASS Wire Forum

LOADING SHOTGUN ON THE MOVE?

Jacknife

That's not always possible. Some SASS clubs don't own their own range. Those clubs have to abide by the rules of their host range. If the range owner says no loading guns on the move, then you don't load on the move.

Anything is possible, no such thing as "Can't." What Toronado was getting at I think, was once ya reach state or above matches, SASS rules should apply. Even across the board that way.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything is possible, no such thing as "Can't." What Toronado was getting at I think, was once ya reach state or above matches, SASS rules should apply. Even across the board that way.

Really? One of the cowboy clubs here in Vegas shoots at the Clark County Shooting Park. It's a huge shooting complex that's built, owned and operated by the county. If the range rules say "No loading guns on the move" you're suggesting the club do it anyway???

If that's not what you're saying please let me know because I'm REALLY confused by your "Anything is possible, no such thing as Can't" statement as it applies to this subject.

PS, what I think they are saying is that since CaC has a rule that is anti what the SASS rule is then all SASS rules don't apply. Ergo and therefore and thus the SW Regional should be moved to a club where all SASS rules DO apply and there are no local extra rules.

That ain't gonna fly.

Id have to ask why is your finger on the trigger if your not ready to shoot? Its perfectly safe to load on the run if you follow the common sense rules people learn as kids. Never have your finger on the trigger unless your ready to shoot.

Pay close attention at your next match! I'll bet that alot of folks will have their finger on the trigger!! You might be surprised!!

The reason the Badlands Bar-3 has a "plant and poke" rule were plainly and politely laid out by the ranch owner, T-Bone. While the rule differs from SASS rules, the WB understand that some ranges will have slightly different "range" rules and make allowances for them in the Match Director's Guide. They finish the paragraph about these differences by saying, "Cowboys can be flexible if they simply have a little time to consider the local ground rules. If they know in advance and can’t be happy, they can exercise their right not to attend." A sentiment with which I agree 100%.

Possum

The reason the Badlands Bar-3 has a "plant and poke" rule were plainly and politely laid out by the ranch owner, T-Bone. While the rule differs from SASS rules, the WB understand that some ranges will have slightly different "range" rules and make allowances for them in the Match Director's Guide. They finish the paragraph about these differences by saying, "Cowboys can be flexible if they simply have a little time to consider the local ground rules. If they know in advance and can’t be happy, they can exercise their right not to attend." A sentiment with which I agree 100%.

Possum

+1

RRR

Good Grief!!! CAC sells out each year, they put this rule up front, and then everyone is reminded at every stage where there is movement with the shotgun. I have NO problem if a club has a SAFETY rule BEYOND SASS'S safety rules, such as Mason Dixon..

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DON'T SHOOT AT THESE CLUBS!

Myself, I can VERY easily live with it.

Cheyenne

Good Grief!!! CAC sells out each year, they put this rule up front, and then everyone is reminded at every stage where there is movement with the shotgun. I have NO problem if a club has a SAFETY rule BEYOND SASS'S safety rules, such as Mason Dixon..

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DON'T SHOOT AT THESE CLUBS!

Myself, I can VERY easily live with it.

Cheyenne

Me too...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have always been under the impression that State and aboves matches must follow SASS rules.

I've been doing this awhile. I once witnessed Bounty Hunter trip, roll, stand up and resume firing, safely. We are shooting real guns with real bullets. We move with them all the time. Some folks are wearing high heels, long skirts, or floppy chaps. What about spurs?! Sorry, I don't get the plant and poke rule.

I suspect that if it were any other Range we were talking about, folk's sentiments would be different.

If this discussion carries on and becomes a big deal, maybe SASS will change the rules.

Fillmore

It has been mentioned in another post that some clubs do not allow loading the shotgun on the move, as allowed by SASS rules. Course the clubs have the opportunity to disallow it if they so choose.

Was just wondering how many clubs do not allow this and the reason behind disallowing it.

Not wanting to start a mud slinging contest, just looking for honest answers. :D (if that is possible here) :lol:

seems honest answers are hard to come by.......there is a rule book, you just can't have "this is ok here but not ok there".

My thoughts on this are that anyone can have local rules for their range for local monthly matches. Once it goes beyond that to State and above or any Match that advertises SASS members only, the it should play by ALL the SASS rules. A simple statement of all SASS rules apply. I see too many shoots at those levels that impose their "hypothetical" safer rules, as I've never seen any factual data or studies that this is safer. If the national ruling body of the sport feels the rule is safe, then it is safe and play buy those rules. If a range cannot abide, then move the match to a place that understands what the requirements are to hold a SASS match. I firmly believe SASS should enforce this. and to award a club to have a SASS State and above match, you need to abide by all sass rules.

Pard,

It is not a SASS rule that a round shot over the berm is a MDQ. However, due to location, it is a rule at some ranges. So, I must disagree with a unilateral enforcement of SASS rules being a qualifier for State and above matches.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I worry more about the Trash pick up and food vendors..Pray that we don't have any rain and hope no one runs off in the ditch and gets stuck. Thinking about how a shooter is or might mess up does not even play into our daily planning of a match. We hope everyone can attend Comin'At'Cha 2012 or at least 400 of Ya anyway.. Y'all come on down to Texas for a glass of Front Porch sweet tea, "just like momma usta' make".... Love Ya T-Bone

MLB has "Different Ground Rules" at every Ball Park!!

Great analogy!

If I might add, "within the confines of the rules of the game".

Archived