SASS Wire Forum

Who made my C&B revolvers

I recently traded for some C&B revolvers with a good honest friend. He hadn't bought them new but had acquired them in a trade. They were in Uberti boxes but he told me the boxes didn't match the guns but that the guns were supposed to be Ubertis.

The labels were tore off the ends of the boxes and there was no paper work inside the boxes,

the revolvers are brass framed 1860 Navies. They have proof marks on the cylinder, the barrel assembly and the frame. The date code for manufacture shows 1996. The serial numbers are only 4 digits apart. One of the serial numbers is E49311 the other is E49315. There is no makers mark that I can find on the guns.

What have I missed? I still see some brass framed guns sold under the Traditions name. Could these be some of those? Who made the traditions line of revolvers?

Your help is much appreciated,

Marlin

Hi Marlin:

Traditions is an importer whose guns have been made by more then 1 manufacturer over the years.

Here is a link to makers marks:

Maker's marks

Look on the frame & underneath the barrel & you will usually find them.

--Dawg

If your guns are foreign made, they'll have one of the listed proof marks designating the country of origin: www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/archives/Proofmarks.pdf

And go here for the different "maker's marks": https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

At least TWO of those marks should appear on your guns.

Thanks Dawg

I have been looking at these guns and the pdf you pointed to. No makers mark I can find. Written on the barrel "SM Black Powder Only Cal .44 Made in Italy"

I hadn't seen the letters"SM" on the barrel until just now.

Marlin

Are you sure there isn't an "A" in front of that "SM" marking, I'd suspect Armi San Marco or some iteration thereof.

Well it would appear the cyber gremlins hijacked my last post to Greenland or somewhere.

No "A" in front of the "SM" on the barrel. Got out the second gun and nothing bu the "SM" on it either.Took off the grips and nothing under there either. Assuming they could be Armi San Marcos

are these guns worth messing with?

Also how do you tell an Army grip from a Navy grip. The cylinders have naval scenes on them so I am thinking Navy grip. But I can get all 3 fingers on the grip easily and I have big hands. I thought normally you would have to curl your pinky under the grips on the Navy style.

Thanks again for your help,

Marlin

The terms Army and Navy refer to the caliber. The Navy being 36 and the Army 44. A lot of the Colts have the Navy scene on the cylinder.

The 1860 Army has a longer grip to be more able to handle the "tremendous recoil" produced by the 153 gr ball over 28 grs of black powder.

I'm sure the guy who stamped the ASM logo on just canted the stamp a bit.

I'm sure they are ASM-made guns.

No parts are available for ASM guns, but generic parts, like from Dixie Gun Works can usually be modified to fit.

Also, there are a lot of ASM guns around for parts.

The Navy-sized grip was adopted by Colt for the SAA.

If you have a Colt clone,compare the length of the grips.

Army grips are maybe 3/4 inch longer.

Or, if you take off the backstrap, the mainspring screw is very near the bottom of the triggerguard, but on an Army grip, it is 3/4 inch or so up from the bottom.

--Dawg

The mainspring screw is very near the bottom so I am guessing Navy grips. How will I ever be able to manage the recoil of this massive .44 with such puny grips? :lol:

Thanks for the help,

Marlin (The mean old Big Bore navy shooting pirate)Buckhorn :rolleyes:

The mainspring screw is very near the bottom so I am guessing Navy grips. How will I ever be able to manage the recoil of this massive .44 with such puny grips? :lol:

Thanks for the help,

Close your eyes, hang on with both hands and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help,

As stated it has the same grip frame as a SAA. Soooooo if ya can handle a SAA with 250 gr bullet and a case full of powder. The 44 with a 153 gr ball and 20-30 grs is a pussy cat

It's well to remember lot of folks were a lot smaller built in those days than today. Until widely available refrigerated milk and such, kids didn't grow near as big. So yeah, if yer 5'3" and have the expected smaller hands, a .44 was a handful.

My FIL was in the Navy in WWII, and recalls how hard it was for him to shoot a 1911 when they used to shoot at stuff thrown overboard to entertain themselves aboard ship. But he's 5'3"......

I'm sure the guy who stamped the ASM logo on just canted the stamp a bit.

I'm sure they are ASM-made guns.

--Dawg

They are definitely Armi San Marcos. ASM made guns can be marked with Armi San Marco; A.S.M.; ASM; SM; San Marco; Marco; or an intertwined ASM.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Assuming they could be Armi San Marcos are these guns worth messing with?

Marlin

One of my '51 Navy's is an ASM gun, I've been using it competition since 1986 when I bought it new from EMF. I broke the hand spring in it a week before EOT in 1987, had a gunsmith install a Ruger coil spring and plunger instead of the Colt type... That's the only broken part it's ever had. Still using it.

But, being as you say they're .44s and brass framed... IMO, I wouldn't mess with it.

Are they 44s?

If so I thought only Pietta made 1851 44s.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. And will answer a thousand questions.

yeah, we need pictures.

I find it strange that the Itallians manage to make some pretty decent and in some cases bordering on outstanding guns, but have failed to adapt the technology to legibly stamp metal. One need simply look at the tang of an 18XX winchester rifle to know the technology has been there for over 100 years.

Are they 44s?

Both of THESE ASM 's are .44's...the one on the left is an EMF "Hartford" '51 Navy; the other is an 1860.

Are they 44s?

ASM, Uberti, Pietta and Euroarms all made .44 cal 1851 Navies at one time or another.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Archived