SASS Wire Forum

1851 Pietta Colt Navy Marshall

Now, I understand that for Ubertis, any one importer (Cimarron, Navy Arms, etc.) has pretty much what every other one has in terms of quality, and excluding some "dealer exclusives" which seem to be largely cosmetics and certain finish/barrel length combinations.

But, is that true for Pietta too?

In particular, I'm looking at 4 potential sources for 1851 Colt Navy Marshalls - Cabela's, Possibles Shop, Marstar, and Fall Creek Sutlery. There seem to be some variations in the extent of the engraving; in the use of some flame blue screws; and in cylinder design (Possibles Shop is the only one showing smooth sided cylinders). One (Possibles) claims that theirs are "made to higher standards" than a certain well-known national sporting goods chain...but they don't tell you what standards...

So my questions:

(1) Is there any real difference in quality? If so, what?

(2) Any significant pros or cons in dealing with any of these sellers?

Let's leave prices aside for now - but I will note that the range from $329-$479 for nominally the same gun....

Many thanks.

LL

In my experience, they all carry the same-quality guns.

I've been very happy with the last several Cabelas Piettas I've bought.

--Dawg

LL, aside from the cosmetic exclusives worked out with the factory for some purveyors, the MACHINE is the same. It's like asking if the starter for a Lincoln is better made than one for a Ford. NO, but it might cost more if the dealer is say in Palm Beach and offers amenities like valet service, free loaners when your car is in the shop, etc.

If you are talking the engraved shiny .44 Navy from Cabelas, I have a pair and really like them, so much so that I am considering buying another pair just for doing a full Kirst cartridge conversion set . Nothing better than matched pistols for use in Frontiersman or FC at your desire. They are very attractive at the casual glance BUT if you look very closely you will notice that things like the engraving look somewhat washed out and if you are not careful you will also learn that the metal is not stainless (and they do not claim it to be). With limited use in non match conditions mine have operated flawlessly, including the factory nipples. Check out the grips also, many do not like them while I consider that the best point of the Pietta '51 Navy!

All of my "new" cap and ball purchases have been with Cabelas. If for no other reason: I ordered an 1858 and it had a serious casting flaw in the cylinder. I called them, returned the gun and had a new one, perfect, in three days. Excellent customer service. I asked the gentleman that took my call if I needed to send pictures. He told me that the fact I was dissatisfied was enough to return the gun.

Archived