SASS Wire Forum

Remembering How Far We Have Come

As events approach which may affect the composition and judicial philosophy of the Supreme Court, and as a resident of a Commonwealth that has found innumerable ways to restrict the private ownership and use of guns, I thought it might be wise to look back 4 years, and remember how 5 justices, with independent thought and in opposition to powerful political forces, made these simple, forthright pronouncements:

"We start therefore with a strong presumption that the

Second Amendment right is exercised individually and

belongs to all Americans."

"“Keep arms” was

simply a common way of referring to possessing arms, for

militiamen and everyone else."

"At the time of the founding, as now, to “bear” meant to

“carry.”"

"When used with “arms,” however, the term has a meaning

that refers to carrying for a particular purpose—

confrontation."

"Putting all of

these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee

the individual right to possess and carry weapons in

case of confrontation."

(All quoted from the majority opinion, written by Justice Scalia, in Heller v. District of Columbia)

So simple, yet so fundamental to the rights that we enjoy, and which we are bound to protect against continuing attack.

As you consider your alternatives and exercise your rights this Fall, remember how long and hard the fight was to get to this point, how eager some remain to strike these rights, and how much remains to be done. While an independent judiciary is the key to the recognition and preservation of these rights, the men and women sitting on the bench are placed there by Presidential nomination; the future of the Court is in your hands when you vote in November.

The restrictive laws of several states stand as witness to the fact that your rights can be denied. The only ultimate protection flows from the US Constitution, and then only when the Court is wise enough to recognize and announce their true scope. I urge you to consider this when you make your decision and vote. Please, vote.

LL

Let us not forget that Heller didn't happen overnight.

Heller first filed his lawsuit in 2003, and it got to SCOTUS in 2008.

The DC gun ban had been in place since 1976, and remained in place despite the crime and carnage it was responsible for.

We are dealing with people who put ideology over reality, emotion over reason, and will never let the facts stand in the way of their opinions.

LL....well written Sir. You have some great points, but no matter

what is written the folks in office will continue to keep the

confusion going! The lies told to the voting public continues to

eradicate the trust one might have for the Government and the news media!

My favorite saying goes like this If your were to have three monkeys on the

ballot in November the outcome would be the same....you have a monkey in office!

Also answer me this why would anyone spend millions of dollars getting into office

to get back pocket change! Why do you think folks in power give to a candidate? Paybacks or Kickbacks that's why.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

QDG/Mike :FlagAm:

LL....well written Sir. You have some great points, but no matter

what is written the folks in office will continue to keep the

confusion going! The lies told to the voting public continues to

eradicate the trust one might have for the Government and the news media!

My favorite saying goes like this If your were to have three monkeys on the

ballot in November the outcome would be the same....you have a monkey in office!

Also answer me this why would anyone spend millions of dollars getting into office

to get back pocket change! Why do you think folks in power give to a candidate? Paybacks or Kickbacks that's why.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

QDG:

With almost no exception, the folks in power respond to those constituancies whom they believe can effect the outcome of the next election. That means our leverage is money (campaign funding) and votes. And in today's terms, that's Super PACs, the NRA and the perception that we can mobilize millions of votes.

Since the last election, I've persuaded two more family members to join the NRA, and to work for certain candidates whom we believe will defend and extend 2nd Amendment rights. We need to do as much as we can; how would you feel if you woke up the day after the elections, discovered that an enemy of gun rights was in power, and realized that you had done nothing, choosing instead to rely on "somebody else" to carry the load? Pretty stupid, right? Once it's gone, there is no getting it back. Can you name ONE country outside the US that has expanded individual gun rights over the last decade? Or regained them after having lost them?

I've decided NOT to get off the soapbox until after the elections. I will try never to mention a candidate by name, or engage in political wrangling. But I will speak out, and encourage all of you to do so as well, on issues of Constitutional rights, and I encourage EVERYONE to vote their consciences and their hearts. I do not worry about the personal motivations of politicians; we can never really know what is in another man's heart; we must judge him by his acts.

LL

QDG:

With almost no exception, the folks in power respond to those constituancies whom they believe can effect the outcome of the next election. That means our leverage is money (campaign funding) and votes. And in today's terms, that's Super PACs, the NRA and the perception that we can mobilize millions of votes.

Since the last election, I've persuaded two more family members to join the NRA, and to work for certain candidates whom we believe will defend and extend 2nd Amendment rights. We need to do as much as we can; how would you feel if you woke up the day after the elections, discovered that an enemy of gun rights was in power, and realized that you had done nothing, choosing instead to rely on "somebody else" to carry the load? Pretty stupid, right? Once it's gone, there is no getting it back. Can you name ONE country outside the US that has expanded individual gun rights over the last decade? Or regained them after having lost them?

I've decided NOT to get off the soapbox until after the elections. I will try never to mention a candidate by name, or engage in political wrangling. But I will speak out, and encourage all of you to do so as well, on issues of Constitutional rights, and I encourage EVERYONE to vote their consciences and their hearts. I do not worry about the personal motivations of politicians; we can never really know what is in another man's heart; we must judge him by his acts.

LL

LL, your on the right trail pardner, but your talking to one of the Posse! I'm a life NRA member and belong to several other organizations and I support them all to the best

of my ability, but can't believe were still going in the wrong direction. How can one

have faith in a system that continually works against the people? If we spent our money

collective say on fuel and we did whats best for the people and not who paid the most to

get their way we could change things for the better! Well, we just might find out

in November, but then it will take many years to see the changes if any. Keeping the fingers

and toes crossed before it to late or if the election goes awry!

Happy trails

This is from Yellowhouse Sam's thread ... http://farmwars.info/?p=8052 ... LL, I'd like your analysis of this and how it squares with your topic?

Capt.:

This is the first time I have seen this information. I need to read some additional sources, but at first blush, I'd say the author of the article was a bit overwrought. I do not see any real threat of seizure, conscription or formation of collectives - as claimed in the article. I do see the delegation to various executive branch Secretaries of the Presidential authority to assure the availability of materials, equipment, tools, transport and the means of production of goods required for national defense. This same type of authority has, I believe, resided in the Presidency since at least WWII. It is primarily a method for prioritizing government supply when there is a compelling national need. Without an attempt to use this authority, it's kind of hard to tell if its good, bad or indifferent. I do recall gasoline, foodstuffs and metals rationing during WWII, and I'm certain that those programs were initiated by the Executive branch.

If you are concerned, what about it worries you?

LL

From info in the other thread, it appears that this executive order has been in existence since Ike was President, and gets periodically updated. When Ike first signed it, there was a clear and present danger in the form of the Soviet Union. Nuclear war was a possibility, and the destruction and disruption to the national infrastructure would have been devastating. So an order like this would make sense, and back then we had a President who actually cared about the country and its citizens.

Things have changed in the past 50 years, and the caliber of our politicians is not what it was. We now have a president who has shown a disdain for The Constitution, routinely bypasses Congress, and in general has shown a wanton disregard for the rule of law. To reaffirm and expand upon emergency powers when no real threat or emergency is exigent is worrisome at best. Considering the low moral character of the current crowd, I can see where they would manufacture a crisis so they could have their Reichstag Moment and implement this order. And that would have horrible consequences for the citizenry and The Republic.

That is what concerns me Loophole.

Archived