SASS Wire Forum

Marines told to "disarm".....

Easy there Doc. There are two groups which you do not criticize on the Internet talk groups; Glock owners and the Marines.

And yes L.G. I know I don't hold a candle to you and your sons all of whom have served our country bravely and beyond the call of duty.

Easy there Doc. There are two groups which you do not criticize on the Internet talk groups; Glock owners and the Marines.

Not being critical of the Marines! I only do that with the ones I know!

And LG, I won't argue the leaadership issue, either.

See the link: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/14/u-s-troops-asked-to-lay-down-weapons-before-meeting-panetta-at-afghan-base/

If it is to be believed, the order did not come from SoD Panetta or his security detail.

SoD flunky "suggests" to CG that his Marines disarm, CG's flunky comes up with "parity with Afghans" = profit!

My hunch: They were worried that an Afghan soldier, not an American, might try to kill Panetta, which is a totally reasonable fear. But since they’re desperate to rebuild trust between U.S. and Afghan forces after the Koran-burnings, the subsequent fraggings of American troops, and then the rampage on Sunday, they didn’t want to make their distrust of the Afghans conspicuous. So they decided to lay down a “no guns for anyone” rule to make it seem evenhanded.

The first thing I thought was that it was the Secret Service demanding this and not the SecDef, or maybe it was the local Commander, I don't know. Maybe it was just one of those things where military protocol means doing something the stupidest way possible, so you do it and move on. Or maybe it really was insulting and nobody above Company Grade Officer level cares who got insulted. Neither one of those is too far-fetched to be believable.

The second thing I thought was, when they told the Marines they couldn't stay for the speech if they were armed, I wish they would have all said "OK, bye!"

The first thing I thought was that it was the Secret Service demanding this and not the SecDef, or maybe it was the local Commander, I don't know. Maybe it was just one of those things where military protocol means doing something the stupidest way possible, so you do it and move on. Or maybe it really was insulting and nobody above Company Grade Officer level cares who got insulted. Neither one of those is too far-fetched to be believable.

The second thing I thought was, when they told the Marines they couldn't stay for the speech if they were armed, I wish they would have all said "OK, bye!"

Yup ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Sadly, The Corps has it's share of pogues in the Command Staff.

Archived