SASS Wire Forum

Evil Roy

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point I was making is the only time a shooter is required to conform to SASS rules is when they are on a posse shooting. It is still their choice to wear a hat or not. Before the match and after the match they can choose to wear whatever they want to. Evil Roy was not participating in a match. He was a vendor giving a class on cowboy shooting. Thus the hat with his logo. Now if the students wanted the most from it they would dress the same way they would compete. Not the instructor.

The beauty of this sport is you can pretty much do what you want at any level of participation. Some people want to play cowboy at the highest level some want to do it at the minimum. Both are correct.

Besides we ain't NCOW's and most of the hats are historically incorrect.

He who wears a hat because he's bald.

Ike

I just got through practicing my draw and reholster with my Rugers and my SKB techniques. I did so in my robe, is that a problem?

I don't know. What does the robe look like?

You and Tuco may be bunking alone depending on your answer.

I don't know. What does the robe look like?

You and Tuco may be bunking alone depending on your answer.

It's a a very attractive red check flannel, period correct too! You won't get to see it though (your loss), I figured Vanilla had been trying to corner Tuco for a while now so two's company and three's a crowd, so I'll be bunking elsewhere. ;)

Captain Bill Burt, You are the one that is judging!! Rye and I happen to be friends for a few yeras and all I was doing was to relay a story to him about when I made a dry sense of humor posting about the same person.

You are so quick to want to jump that you read what you wanted to see and not what was posted. I told Rye that I understood that when you see a person who has developed a certain look that you expect to see him that way.

In no sentence did I say anything about judging Evil Roy!!

You are the same type of person who replied to my posting by saying things that are not there.

Evil Roy could teach in the nude as far as I care as I will never lose any sleep over what the man wants to do. If it has nothing to do with the taking of my money, or a threat against one of my family members then I don't get upset.

You are the one who is passing judgement and maybe you should take a hard look in your own mirror.

Rye, You just received some of what happened to me about three years ago when I made a comment that was in my mind being presented with a dry sense of humor.

The TV program that was on and now discontinued that featured stories about the different facets of cowboy shooting, first hosted by Tequila had Evil Roy as a guest one week.

When it comes to the proper nomenclature of guns. Pistol is the name for any semi- auto style of handgun with a magazine that fires with each pull of the trigger. Revolver is the proper name of the guns used in SASS as they have a revolving cylinder.

I posted on one of the forums that he had made a huge mistake. IIRC my OP stated EVIL ROY GETS IT WRONG ON TV.

You would have thought I had shot the pope!!

I was told things like ,have your ever heard of someone being revolver whipped, to I should not speak bad about some one who had done so much for the sport.

I was told by my wife, David you have to remember that these people don't know that you joke around like that all day every day. You have a dry sense of humor and they don't get it.

I figured out then not to ever post another dark joke about anyone who was known by the general membership.

Take Care my friend David PS By the way I got your meaning from the first reading. What you were trying to relay is that we are exposed to Evil Roy for years in his man in black look. When he steps from this while teaching shooting he should look like his name implies.

Howdy Fairshake, Looks like we're on the same page. I don't know how many replies said "he can wear whatever he wants, blah blah.....I get that, but they missed by point altogether. Thanks fer gettin my back. Good thing I didn't put this post on the regular WIRE!!! I probably would have been banned fer life!:lol: Happy trails pard, Rye

Oh yea ALL the stages practically all over the country refer to "pistols" instead of revolvers, kinda bugs me too!!:unsure:

Let's see if I've got this straight. You create a thread in which you question the dress of one of the biggest names in SASS. You state that he 'should' remain in the persona, character, whichever you prefer even when he is conducting his day to day business. Further you think he should do this even though the reason he chooses not to is explained to you as being necessitated by the nature of his business (his need to wear electronic ear protection so he can protect his ears while communicating with his clients). In your original post you invite criticism while stating you can handle it. Then you congratulate yourselves that you are the only ones who can appreciate the validity of your POV, while bemoaning your unfair treatment....

You are both certainly packing a big 'pair' who are you to dictate what ER 'should' look like at work? Does he have some obligation to you?

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I helped him set up his class a few years ago or at least the area where it was to held and he wore the cowboy garb the entire time. If he uses a cap to facilitate his students learning then no big deal.

He does look different dressed as a tourist but who cares... ;)

Take Care my friend David PS By the way I got your meaning from the first reading. What you were trying to relay is that we are exposed to Evil Roy for years in his man in black look. When he steps from this while teaching shooting he should look like his name implies.

HUH? You take a shooting class because of someone's name? Because of how they look? :rolleyes: Are you taking the class to learn to shoot better or dress better? :D

As I said in my earlier post, I noticed the ball cap in the picture, but it didn't rile me none. Hearing the plausible explanation of wearing it so that he could wear muff style hearing protection to better meet his role of teaching people to shoot better, I don't give it a second thought.

But then again, I have been known to wear non cowboy shoes to an informal evening activity at a major match. While some may have taken offense to my 'tenny lamas" they were necessary because if I hadn't taken my boots off, they'd have had to cut them off as my feet were swelling.

Formal match activities, match shooting, side matches, awards, banquets I will do my best to dress cowboy, anything else and the tenny lamas and ball cap may come out. Heck, I might even wear short pants and a Hawaiian shirt.

Let's see if I've got this straight. You create a thread in which you question the dress of one of the biggest names in SASS. You state that he 'should' remain in the persona, character, whichever you prefer even when he is conducting his day to day business. Further you think he should do this even though the reason he chooses not to is explained to you as being necessitated by the nature of his business (his need to wear electronic ear protection so he can protect his ears while communicating with his clients). In your original post you invite criticism while stating you can handle it. Then you congratulate yourselves that you are the only ones who can appreciate the validity of your POV, while bemoaning your unfair treatment....

You are both certainly packing a big 'pair' who are you to dictate what ER 'should' look like at work? Does he have some obligation to you?

Look I'm not dictating anything to anyone I merely was giving my opinion on "cowboy" attire instead of a ball cap. I'm not congratulating myself for anything just merely stating that I "get it" about wearing whatever ya want at a non cas event. If I were good enough to run a class I would certainly not wear a ball cap but that's just me. So yea, you got it straight!:wacko:

Rye

I haven't read this thread until this morning....feels like I should have brought a coke and a box of popcorn to watch the movie.

Funny how a thread posted on the Wire or Saloon can sidetrack into some "evil" things. Folks gotta live and let live a little bit. Don't be so quick to judge or quick to criticize.

Just don't seem right that folks are so mean here.

<SOAPBOX MODE OFF>

I would take a class at the Ladies Swedish Bikini Cowboy Shooting School any day of the week....and they don't have to wear 'cowboy' attire ;) ...in this case...less is more :lol:

Heck, my wife would even enjoy it - :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I was also wearing tennis shoes.

Well that's it! You're off my Christmas list!! :lol: :lol:

...Funny how a thread posted on the Wire or Saloon can sidetrack into some "evil" things. Folks gotta live and let live a little bit. Don't be so quick to judge or quick to criticize.

<SOAPBOX MODE OFF>

Hi KK,

I was thinking the same thing about another thread.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I haven't read this thread until this morning....feels like I should have brought a coke and a box of popcorn to watch the movie.

Funny how a thread posted on the Wire or Saloon can sidetrack into some "evil" things. Folks gotta live and let live a little bit. Don't be so quick to judge or quick to criticize.

<SOAPBOX MODE OFF>

Not necessarily mean...just very opinionated. And a bit rude sometimes.

I was also wearing tennis shoes.

Maybe flew there in your plane rather than riding a horse?! :lol:

Yer UL flyin' buddy,

Marty Mudd

Not necessarily mean...just very opinionated. And a bit rude sometimes.

True - true - but don't feel blue - when others t'aint gots a clue....:D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest Evil Roy

To be serious for a moment. I do teach and encourage following the rules. When I do a class, I want students comfortable so they will pay attention. I suggest they wear cowboy clothes but I want them comfortable. If your boots hurt your feet, don't wear them to class. I wear a ball hat as I can wear electronic muffs so I can control the class better. It is a safety issue. I also teach that you should shoot in muffs when you practice as plugs do not protect your ears as well. I normally take my cowboy hat for pictures for that "Perfect" cowboy class picture but did not this trip because of all the gear we had to take to do a class in Canada. This is a shooting class not a dress up class. We teach shooting. If the dress up part is everythig to you, contact Miss Tabatha. She is a wonderful lady, lots of fun and a real authority on costumes.

First, I can't believe this thread has gone on this long.

Second, I believe the last word on the subject is contained in the post immediately above this one. Thanks, ER.

First, I can't believe this thread has gone on this long.

Second, I believe the last word on the subject is contained in the post immediately above this one. Thanks, ER.

Well it would have been except now you've got the last word.

Wait a minute. Now I put in the last word. Dang it!! Will this never end? :blink::lol:

To be serious for a moment. I do teach and encourage following the rules. When I do a class, I want students comfortable so they will pay attention. I suggest they wear cowboy clothes but I want them comfortable. If your boots hurt your feet, don't wear them to class. I wear a ball hat as I can wear electronic muffs so I can control the class better. It is a safety issue. I also teach that you should shoot in muffs when you practice as plugs do not protect your ears as well. I normally take my cowboy hat for pictures for that "Perfect" cowboy class picture but did not this trip because of all the gear we had to take to do a class in Canada. This is a shooting class not a dress up class. We teach shooting. If the dress up part is everythig to you, contact Miss Tabatha. She is a wonderful lady, lots of fun and a real authority on costumes.

Well said ;)

The end is only the beginning.

Well spoken Grasshopper. You may leave the monastery now. :lol:

Archived