SASS Wire Forum

Browning vs SKB

BushRod Jones

Getting ready to throw out the money for a shotgun. Help me decide what gun to gun with. Thanks Bushrod ;)

Both are good. I have both, but the nod goes to the Browning. The SKB is a little trimmer and lighter than the BSS but the main difference is the hammer springs and the trigger reset mechanism. The SKB uses "V" springs and the Browning uses coil springs for the hammer. The SKB has an inertia reset using the energy of the recoil where the BSS is a mechanical reset. With the SKB, if you have a dud in the first barrel, or a makeup reload and load just one round and put it in the wrong tube, you won't even get a "click" for the second barrel and then you have to take it out of your shoulder and slap the butt to reset the trigger. The SKB is a little more finicky when it comes to black powder loads. The recoil is just not as sharp as smokeless loads to reset the trigger. The SKB can be properly tuned for black powder loads, as demonstrated by Lead Ringer at Winter Range. But that's where the BSS shines. If it doesn't go bang, just pull the trigger again. It doesn't care which tube you put a shell in because you just pull the trigger again to get to the other barrel.

Boothill

Everything Boothill point out about the mechanical differences is correct. BUT I beg to differ with him about the SKB being "finiky" with BP. I shoot BP exclusively and have 2 SKBs, both setup by Johnny Meadows. In the 3 years I have been shooting the SKB, I have had ZERO problems.

I personally like the lighter feel of the SKB. In the 8 years I've shot CAS, shotguns have been the most problematic. I've literally owned and shot them all. Nothing compares to my SKBs. There are reliable(NEVER had a misfire or second barrel that wouldn't fire) or malfunction of any kind. The only thing I did was make a larger forend (similiar to the Brownings) as the BP makes the barrel really hot after 5 or 6 rounds of fast shooting.

There you have it ;)

Everything Boothill point out about the mechanical differences is correct. BUT I beg to differ with him about the SKB being "finiky" with BP. I shoot BP exclusively and have 2 SKBs, both setup by Johnny Meadows. In the 3 years I have been shooting the SKB, I have had ZERO problems.

I personally like the lighter feel of the SKB. In the 8 years I've shot CAS, shotguns have been the most problematic. I've literally owned and shot them all. Nothing compares to my SKBs. There are reliable(NEVER had a misfire or second barrel that wouldn't fire) or malfunction of any kind. The only thing I did was make a larger forend (similiar to the Brownings) as the BP makes the barrel really hot after 5 or 6 rounds of fast shooting.

There you have it ;)

+1

While I would not disagree that the Browning is a fine shotgun, like Big Sage, I like the lighter SKB. I do shoot BP but not real light loads plus use beavertail forend for comfort. IMO you should feel the weight of both before making you purchase. Good luck.

bb

Please STOP Butchering Browning BSS shotguns for SASS use!

The BSS was one of the finest upland bird guns Browning ever built and the only SXS.

They were only made about 9 years, and are very scarce and the 'dream' field gun for many of us upland bird hunters

To cut a Browning BSS and modify it for CAS is a sin!

The BSS was one of the finest upland bird guns Browning ever built and the only SXS.

They were only made about 9 years, and are very scarce and the 'dream' field gun for many of us upland bird hunters

Don't blame it on the cowboy shooters. We pay a premium for the guns and at least they are being used. Send the email to Browning and tell them its a sin not to build the BSS any more:)

FYI: just shot my new BSS last weekend. Yep the barrel was cut to 23" and all tuned up by O'l#4. It worked flawlessly!!!

Maybe you should sponsor a "Save the BSS Society". Just make some pledge cards available.

I'll sign. The two in my safe will always be 26". And, if I don't think the grandkids feel the same, I'll be buried with them.

I have to agree. I use an original LC Smith. Even though I get ribbed about the length of the barrels I wouldn't even think about cutting them.

Either gun makes a fine shotgun for CAS, a real Caddy of shotguns for the sport. I have shot both but now only own several SKBs. The important thing is whichever you choose you will eventually need a good action job. Don't worry about BP and SKBs, some of the best BP shooters in the sport use SKBs. Don't worry about the barrels switching on an SKB, which proper gunsmithing, they will reliably switch with Win AA Featherlights and all BP loads. If you go with an SDB you will want a beaver tail forearm, instead of a splinter forearm to keep from burning yourself on the hot BP barrels. Best gunsmith in these parts is Johnny Meadows for either.

So I guess that means that all those guys with a '32 Ford Coupe should never, ever build 'em up as a roadster but rather keep them as weathered rust-buckets in poor condition or only restore them to original factory condition? Yes, Just like a '32 Ford, there are only a finite number of BSS's left out there but as the supply diminishes, their price will go up and folks will think twice about getting one for SASS. You could say the same thing about the Ithaca/SKB 280 but I don't see people lamenting their conversion to a race gun due to their discontinuation in the late 1980's.

This is a classic and should be kept as such without changes:

Therefore, This is a sin? :blink:

Boothill

[/quote

I guess only upland bird guys are deserving enough to use such a fine shotgun, like the BSS?

It used to be, if you laid down coin you could do what you want with what ever you purchased?? Maybe people who don't cut the barrels down on a browning are part of the 99% and more deserving?:)

Heeee Haaaa I guess I'm a sinner.. :o I bought the BSS from Duece (His back up ) 28' tubes and now 22'tubes.. :unsure: Took me awhile to learn to shoot it.. :blush: But now I wouldn't take 3 times the amount I paid for.. ^_^ ..I can't help ya with info on the SKB never shot one.. :P

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

There are a few differences that have already been outlined. I am currently shooting a SKB 100 by Colt Mcalister with his mechanical trigger conversion. The SKB's usually get the nod due to handling and lighter weight. I believe Colt has a couple available ready to rock.

I was fortunate to find both guns on the same table at a gun show some time back, spent considerable time checking them out, the weight of the SKB made it feel better for me, it was also 300$ less than the BSS. Since then I have aquired another which is used for pheasant and even trap on occasion. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

Doc

As others have said both the BSS and SKB will probably outlast most people's shooting career. Nice guns!! I use the SKB's because I have bad wrists and the difference of just a little in the weight was worth it to me. Usually you can find the SKB's for a little less than a similarly set up BSS (maybe a couple hundred bucks) but I don't think you could go wrong with whichever you choose.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Maybe you should sponsor a "Save the BSS Society". Just make some pledge cards available.

I'll sign. The two in my safe will always be 26". And, if I don't think the grandkids feel the same, I'll be buried with them.

Great idea!

At least i have one supporter!

I have 2 BSS's, 26" and 28" and have taken literally hundreds of pheasant with them in S Dakota and Kansas

as well as a bunch of Chukkar in Nevada and quail and dove in Georgia

The BSS is a great SXS..it's like taking a Winchester Model 21 and cutting it down for a coach gun to shoot cowboy!

Just insane!

I guess only upland bird guys are deserving enough to use such a fine shotgun, like the BSS?

It used to be, if you laid down coin you could do what you want with what ever you purchased?? Maybe people who don't cut the barrels down on a browning are part of the 99% and more deserving?:)

I never said anything like that, so please stop implying stuff i never said!

All I lamented was cutting the barrels to coach length, not using a BSS for SASS!

Of course it's your gun, do what you want with it..in fact, do things you don't want to do with it..I could care less..

You totally miss the point anyway.

Obviously, you don't know me.

Boy, another Ford/Chevy, Farrari/Lamborgini discusssion.

Mine is faster, better, smoother, prettier that yours!

But, buy what serves you best and that you can afford.

All have features, all have benefits, all don't work the same.

I like dependable over all else,

BSS all the way.

Ol' #4

I am sorry if my post had offended anyone :blush:. I was only using a little absurdity to to make a point ;).

Peace out :)

Ringer

There are still deals out there. Good friend just purchased an SKB 100 in 100 percent condition in original box for $600. He got it on line and was just listed as 12 gauge double barrel and did not say SKB or Ithaca.

Working on tons of both SKB's and BSS's I'd have to give the overall know to the SKB. Both are reliable sxs's since the SKB's can be converted to mechanical trigger reset. This conversion gives you the best of both worlds. The SKB's are smoother once slicked up do to they are flat spring mainsprings versus the coil mainsprings in the BSS. The SKB's point better for most people and generally most people like the lighter weight as well. Generally the BSS will cost you more than a SKB. I'd say the only advantage the BSS has over the SKB is the frame mounted firing pins. The SKB's are mounted on the hammers making them harder to replace if broken. In my opinion the BSS feels like a 2x4 with a couple pies attached to it compared to the SKB.

Bottom line buy the one that feels the best to you.

Good Luck

Working on tons of both SKB's and BSS's I'd have to give the overall know to the SKB. Both are reliable sxs's since the SKB's can be converted to mechanical trigger reset. This conversion gives you the best of both worlds. The SKB's are smoother once slicked up do to they are flat spring mainsprings versus the coil mainsprings in the BSS. The SKB's point better for most people and generally most people like the lighter weight as well. Generally the BSS will cost you more than a SKB. I'd say the only advantage the BSS has over the SKB is the frame mounted firing pins. The SKB's are mounted on the hammers making them harder to replace if broken. In my opinion the BSS feels like a 2x4 with a couple pies attached to it compared to the SKB.

Bottom line buy the one that feels the best to you.

Good Luck

I'm fortunate enough to have both :) I like pie with BP (23")! SKB for smokeless. If I could only have one it would be the BSS.

However, if I were a lady, I'd go with the SKB 100- significantly lighter. A lady BP shooter could use the beaver tail forend, however, to keep her fingers from blistering.

YMMV, Harvey

Harvey

Colt,

The BSS feels like 2X4!!! my goodness,, the SKB's feel like straws, about to crush at any time.

Seriously, the SKB is more nimble. After all my experience, the BSS still holds up longer.

Yes the hammer/firing pin issue is real. I can make the floaters, but not whole hammer or even at best, re-align a drill rod more tha once into a an Ithica hammer.

It all boils down to how much you want to spend, what fits you and your shooting style, what's available , who is closest to keep it maintained.

BTW my Dodge gets better mileage than yours.

Ol' #4

I am sorry if my post had offended anyone :blush:. I was only using a little absurdity to to make a point ;).

Peace out :)

Ringer

You're right..your point was absurd...and way out of line

Colt,

The BSS feels like 2X4!!! my goodness,, the SKB's feel like straws, about to crush at any time.

Seriously, the SKB is more nimble. After all my experience, the BSS still holds up longer.

Yes the hammer/firing pin issue is real. I can make the floaters, but not whole hammer or even at best, re-align a drill rod more tha once into a an Ithica hammer.

It all boils down to how much you want to spend, what fits you and your shooting style, what's available , who is closest to keep it maintained.

BTW my Dodge gets better mileage than yours.

Ol' #4

We kind of said the same thing. Again how a BSS feels is my opinion. Mounting new firing pins on a SKB hammer is not that big of deal. One because it is a rarity, and two it's just not that hard. Both are great guns though.

Your Dodge probably right your Dodge would get better gas mileage than mine, because I wouldn't own a Dodge unless it was a Viper or a sixties muscle cas with a Hemi. :lol: I still remember being 5 years old and my uncle taking me around a race track in his Super Bee. We were probably only doing 55 miles an hour, but to a five year old it felt like 180 miles an hour.

[/quote

Here is the proof that "no good deed goes unpunished"

You just gotta love someone who posts an unnecessary opinionated comment telling people what they think about what other's are doing with there property and then when someone replies to it they get sensitive and fire back with drivel like this.

Shorty, you don't want the negative reply then you should have kept your non asked for opinion to yourself.

For the record, I'll do whatever I want to my BSS, you didn't pay for it, I Did!

and Ringer, I felt the same way as you did about his original comment.

JEL (a.k.a. BSS Butcher)

Archived