SASS Wire Forum

Coyote Cap 1887 function problems.....

Tucumcari Tim

Need some help. Have just acquired a CC 1887 WCSE 18" and have some questions as to what you may have done to make it function properly. I am having extraction/ejection issues with it and was advised that I need to handle it firmly and to full extension of the lever in loading and working the action to reload the next shell. Fully understood. It has the drop 2 mod. In most cases, the first shell loads properly and fires as expected, but when the second shell is supposed to elevate up to the chamber, it sometimes stays at the lower level. In other cases, when I get the second shell chambered and fired, it sometimes does not extract from the chamber and eject. I made a special effort to make sure that I worked the action fully, and with reasonable force. I was on occasion able to get the action to work properly, but inconsistently. Are these that finicky and do I have to find the "groove" for insuring that it will function?

Need some help on what I might do to correct my handling of this.

Appreciate any helpful responses.

TT

Need some help. Have just acquired a CC 1887 WCSE 18" and have some questions as to what you may have done to make it function properly. I am having extraction/ejection issues with it and was advised that I need to handle it firmly and to full extension of the lever in loading and working the action to reload the next shell. Fully understood. It has the drop 2 mod. In most cases, the first shell loads properly and fires as expected, but when the second shell is supposed to elevate up to the chamber, it sometimes stays at the lower level. In other cases, when I get the second shell chambered and fired, it sometimes does not extract from the chamber and eject. I made a special effort to make sure that I worked the action fully, and with reasonable force. I was on occasion able to get the action to work properly, but inconsistently. Are these that finicky and do I have to find the "groove" for insuring that it will function?

Need some help on what I might do to correct my handling of this.

Appreciate any helpful responses.

TT

CC stands behind his guns call him and go from there.

KK

Cap tunes those guns to run best with "featherlites".

Put a drop of oil on the right side extractor and when you "drive" that SG. "Drive-it" like it was stolen.....

Make sure the two carrier screws are tight ;)

Cheers,

LG

My experience with a Cap 87 has found that the second shell not coming up to load is from not force fully working the lever.

Also has happened when left elevator screw is loose. Make sure this screw is always tight. It is best to add a drop of blue lock-tite to the threads.

Extraction problems? Don't know, I have never had them.

Marlin

Marlin,

You called it right. I had screws loose. And on the shotgun too.......lol. Tightened everything up, and it worked without any issues (except for human error). Extracted and ejected fine. I do have a question as far as removing any of the screws. Are any of these attached to a threaded internal part that will be misaligned if taken out. Didn't want to be surprised if so when I put some blue lock-tite on them.

I did e-mail Coyote Cap to see if they could help. Never received a response.

Thanks again to all for the advice and helpful solution.......

TT

I've been accused of having a few screws loose.... But not on my shotgun..........:blink:

I did e-mail Coyote Cap to see if they could help. Never received a response.

TT

Call him on the telephone. He gets a lot of e-mail and it's difficult for him to respond timely. If you don't have his phone number, send me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Tim

The screw on the left is the most important. It does go through the frame and into the shell elevator. You would notice it right away if you didn't get it right. The screw on the left is critical, many people have lost it and I don't know if there is a source for it any more.

A couple drops of blue loctite on the frame screw and you will be fine.

Enjoy that 87,

Marlin

BOTH, right and left side carrier screws hold the carrier in place.

Keep'm tight. I do use blue(#242)Loc-tite(1 sm drop)on these screws.

Wipe the inside of the rec'r with an oily rag when cleaning.

I would remove the bolt and see if that small screw that holds that shell plate to the left side of the bolt head is tight.

Coyote Caps web-site has a list of things to check for.

Call him....He HATES 'puters!

Cheers,

LG

There are plenty of sites that show the schematic of the 87 along with the correct take down and repair of the guns.

There is a pin that you can make from brass rod stock that aids in this process.

The advise about the use of Lock tite 242 blue is a good one for all of your guns used in SASS. The normal SASS gun is fired more in one year than many owners will fire in a lifetime.

You don't need any pin to take an '87 down.

Just pinch the hammer spring with a pair of needle nose pliers and remove. Then remove the 2 carrier screws. THAT'S IT.

Remove the carriers first and install'em last.

Cheers,

LG

Lost the left cartrige guide screw yesterday at a match , does anyone know were to get one the gun is usless without it. HELP !!!

Will know next time to put some lock tite on it !!

Willie

Call Coyote Cap

or these folks

http://www.piscogunsmithing.com/

LG

Archived