SASS Wire Forum

Golf Carts are ok for club shoots

Come On Christmas

Uhhhhhh................no.

I've never seen a golf cart used at a monthly. Seen a couple at annuals, along with ATVs and riding mower based creations, but in many cases they were used just to get the people and a two wheeled cart to the range from the camping area.

I'm still waiting to see someone make a gun cart out of one of those Segway contraptions...

I've used a golf cart for the past year, and I'm sure I'll continue to use it for at least another six months, due to my knee. I've used it at monthlies and the State Championship.

This is a local range issue, not a SASS issue. I used a 150 CC scooter, which I will note was very quiet, quieter than a gas golf cart, with a small trailer behind it one year at the State championship. Folks seemed to like the 40 quart cooler with free soda and water I had on it along with my gun cart.

WE had folks who use quads or the "mule" type side by sides all the time, but we had room for SOME to do so. If everyone wanted to, I suspect it'd revert to medical necessity.

The "golf carts" can get out of hand. I've been to shoots where you could not get your 2 wheel gun cart to the stages because of the golf carts.

If you're handicapped, OK. Otherwise, leave them at home.

The "golf carts" can get out of hand. I've been to shoots where you could not get your 2 wheel gun cart to the stages because of the golf carts.

If you're handicapped, OK. Otherwise, leave them at home.

I totally agree! I attended a major match a few years ago where the Vogue thing was to have your own Golf Cart, Mule, and other such machines. It was a complete traffic jamb as far as I'm concerned. They were ALWAYS in the way and the VAST majority of the shooters using them were NOT in such a physical state that they needed them to get around from stage to stage. Years ago we had a shooter at EOT who made a big deal out of it at the TG meeting, ranting and raving about "His Rights"... then next day while I was standing in line at the Loading table he came up behind me on his scooter and ran into me! Accommodation for those who TRULY need help (when possible), is one thing, but I don't like to see guys use them that really don't need them. It just adds to the already crowded conditions.

Snakebite

THIS ONE is always a hit when it shows up. Built and owned by A.E. Irons.

As for the golf carts & 4 wheelers - OK if you really need it to get around, but fer cryin' out loud, if you're just so damn lazy you don't want to walk a hundred feet from stage to stage, STAY HOME. Two shooters here, one with a golf cart and one 4 wheeler, drive up to the stage, ready their guns, step up to the line, shoot, unload, put 'em back in the rack on their machines, then climb in/on and sit on their ass and watch everyone else pick brass, man the tables, etc. Both these knotheads are in their 30's or 40's and physically capable.

Soooo cute!

As for the golf carts & 4 wheelers - OK if you really need it to get around, but fer cryin' out loud, if you're just so damn lazy you don't want to walk a hundred feet from stage to stage, STAY HOME. Two shooters here, one with a golf cart and one 4 wheeler, drive up to the stage, ready their guns, step up to the line, shoot, unload, put 'em back in the rack on their machines, then climb in/on and sit on their ass and watch everyone else pick brass, man the tables, etc. Both these knotheads are in their 30's or 40's and physically capable.

Yikes!

Someone needs to "smack 'em upside the head!" ;) Figuratively speaking, of course.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Whadda ya mean,

Uhhhhhh................no.

I ride RAVEN to the matches with all of my gear and then use it as a guncart while I'm there!

Pictures HERE

and HERE

And some more HERE

It's perfectly fine!! (as long as the Range allows it)

Hi Seamus,

Just PM Jed I. Knight. I'm sure he'd be pleased to post a photo of Raven, his motorcycle witha sidecar.

Regards,

Allie

How'd you know? :D

That's a cool cart you posted there J Bar!

I ride Raven (as I posted earlier) to the match and use it as a guncart while I am there. I usually park in the back, far side of the posse so it's outta the way. Raven has been a huge hit where ever I ride or take it!

I've never seen a golf cart used at a monthly. Seen a couple at annuals, along with ATVs and riding mower based creations, but in many cases they were used just to get the people and a two wheeled cart to the range from the camping area.

I'm still waiting to see someone make a gun cart out of one of those Segway contraptions...

Grizzly Dave,

One of my pards did just that! Half-Fast Rusty has a Segway converted to a Gun-Pony, it's great. But he did get throwed off that thing once :excl::excl: He's got some pictures of it on his facebook page, maybe he'll see this and post a link to 'em.

JBB

WHY does that club allow this to happen?

Next time they come to the line. EVERDANGBODY needs to walk away.

Or at least have them pick their own brass up......

Respectfully,

LG

Whadda ya mean,

I ride RAVEN to the matches with all of my gear and then use it as a guncart while I'm there!

Pictures HERE

and HERE

And some more HERE

It appears in the one photo with motorcycle pulled up near the stage, that the uncased and near horizontal staged rifle(s) in the motorcycle rack are sweeping or will pretty much sweep the entire posse. True?

It appears in the one photo with motorcycle pulled up near the stage, that the uncased and near horizontal staged rifle(s) in the motorcycle rack are sweeping or will pretty much sweep the entire posse. True?

Well it does have that potential, although it's not much different then tilting back a regular guncart on to it's back wheels and lookin' down the barrel as you roll it around the range OR, for that matter, carrying your long guns in a "wagon" horizontally.

I enclose the long guns in scabbards now and I am very conscience of the barrel direction when I park and load / unload the long guns. I've used it at several different ranges with no issues or complaints.

Winter Range this year appeared to have a registration system for the few motorized carts of several varieties. It appeared you had to convince someone your handicap was serious and that got you an authorization sheet to tape to the vehicle for all to see. Even with that restriction, just one of the larger motorized (golf) carts could plug up a couple of the narrow bays making it difficult for the large posses to move in and out.

I have one of them new fangled Segway guncarts. If I could figure out how to post a photo here, I could share it with you. I named it Widowmaker. I have some pictures on my facebook if you want to look there. It works well, especially at those shoots where you have to circle the wagons a fur piece from the range. I had it at the Oregon State shoot a couple of years ago.

Whadda ya mean,

Pictures HERE

and HERE

And some more HERE

That's what I am talking about. A Ural! Or my sportster with a Cozy Sidecar which looks way Buck Rodgers like.

Shameless

Whadda ya mean,

Pictures HERE

and HERE

And some more HERE

Hey Jed I,

Do folks realize it's a commie pinko bike? :lol: Of course, back in the 1860-1890's there weren't no such thing yet(commies), and I love the idea of a sidecar rig, in moderation of course (large area, low noise, etc). The Ural certainly will last forever!

I have been thinking for while of making one up from a '70s Bultaco trials bike(if you recognize my alias you'll know why). A few of these were done for some westerns - "Bite the Bullet" comes to mind, plus the John Wayne movie with Richard Boone kidnapping the grandson (forgot the name :unsure: ). They are small, lightweight, and can turn in their own length. Yes, I ride trials.

I've got three I could choose from, but probably never get to it :ph34r: rather spend time shooting, building our range cowboy town.

Harvey

Jed I, how long have you had that Ural and how is working out for you. You're the first person I know that has one. I was always afraid that they'd be a little underpowered for a big fella like me. Does it do Interstates? How about hills/mtns.? Inquiring minds wanta know and all that horse-hockey!

JBB

WHY does that club allow this to happen?

Next time they come to the line. EVERDANGBODY needs to walk away.

Or at least have them pick their own brass up......

Respectfully,

LG

Yup, just leave their brass lay. Maybe they get a clue before the end of the day.

Jed, where would a man get one of them thar Rooskie motorpickles?

Hey Jed I,

Do folks realize it's a commie pinko bike? :lol: ...

Harvey

When I show up dressed like THIS (<click here) they sure do :excl::ph34r:

KGB Agent Jed I. Knightski B)

I've seen Jedi and Ravin in action. He was totally respectful of the shooting bay and other shooters. Parked it way out of the way. It's a totally cool set up! And scores a 10 with style points!!!

If shooters with motorized contraptions would go the way of the Jedi, all would be calm in the cowboy galaxies!

May the force be with you.

Ringer

When I show up dressed like THIS (<click here) they sure do :excl::ph34r:

KGB Agent Jed I. Knightski B)

...that is a nice looking ride for sure!!!!!

...back to the OP.

No one brings motorized carts to our monthly matches that I know of. One cowboy does use a Golf Cart at annuals.

What The Outlaws do is put the older gents and folks with bad knees on Posse 1 that starts on Stage 1. At least that way they only have to walk one way and not backtrack.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I quickly became accustomed to quite a few golf carts at CVV & Lonestar monthlies, but the range has a lot of space, and they don't get in the way. Other ranges I've been to don't have enough room for them to maneuver.

Jedi, that's a cool setup! Like others, though, I'm curious how the Ural stacks up when compared to a Harley or Japanese model.

...just curious, I'll probably never have a motorbike... My wife saw me looking at used Harleys online once, kissed me on the cheek, and whispered in my ear: "You can't have one!" :rolleyes:

I bought Harley before I started dating after wife #2. That way not issue. Besides Lady Jailbait is cool with it.

Shameless

Archived