Not for me - thanks...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Heck,

I have been told I am not that stable when shooting from solid ground! :lol:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Oh Yea....that's real SAFE!!! :unsure:

Yep, muzzle control is less than non-existent during the whole performance, especially when approaching the camera at the end.

Good luck, GJ

Yep, muzzle control is less than non-existent during the whole performance, especially when approaching the camera at the end.

Good luck, GJ

Is there a new safety rule, "Never point your muzzle toward a loaded camera?"

Ummm, for the Jacks that haven't yet heard from the Master:

We hoped by this time that the standard rules of safe gunhandling would have become universal throughout the world. They have been arrived at by careful consideration over the years, and they do not need modification or addition. We trust that all the family have them by heart in all languages, but for those who came in late here they are again:

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
  2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
  4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Those will do. We need all four and we do not need five. It should not be necessary to belabor this issue, but life is not perfect.

– Jeff Cooper, Commentaries, Volume 11, Number 4.

Jeff's word will do for me.

Good luck, GJ

Ummm, for the Jacks that haven't yet heard from the Master:

We hoped by this time that the standard rules of safe gunhandling would have become universal throughout the world. They have been arrived at by careful consideration over the years, and they do not need modification or addition. We trust that all the family have them by heart in all languages, but for those who came in late here they are again:

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
  2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
  4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Those will do. We need all four and we do not need five. It should not be necessary to belabor this issue, but life is not perfect.

– Jeff Cooper, Commentaries, Volume 11, Number 4.

Jeff's word will do for me.

Good luck, GJ

B)

Since I wasn't there I can't see for sure, but I'd be willin' to bet a dime to a donut that there was NOT a crowd of spectators behind the camera.

If the shooter endangered his camera, so what

[/quote

I agree! No different than trick shooting of the past or present.

I agree! No different than trick shooting of the past or present.

That don't make it SAFE or SMART!

Do we really want folks to think that we SASS folks do such stupid stunts as the norm? I DON'T!!

Respectfully,

LG

Would someone state EXACTLY what is unsafe about what the shooter does? What has he done that could harm someone, yeah, someone that is not even there.

Flat out STUPID stunt!

LG

That don't make it SAFE or SMART!

Do we really want folks to think that we SASS folks do such stupid stunts as the norm? I DON'T!!

Respectfully,

LG

So, to be more specific,Lump Grits, since you have called the exhibition "unsafe" and "flat out stupid", please do tell the SASS community why the act was "unsafe" and "flat out stupid". Then you can explain how you posts are respectful.

Hi Pards,

If you didn't know already, :rolleyes:;) a fired rifle round can go for miles. How can standing on a "slackline," waiving one's leg and rifle around be a good thing. It doesn't matter that there was someone behind the camera or in the vecinity, the potential for disaster with an accidental firing of rifle isn't to be laughed off. :ph34r:

You have a right to your opinion. That's mine! :ph34r:

Regards,

Allie Mo

OK, it's simple.......The shooter is trying to balance hisownself on a tightrope and fire a loaded weapon with live ammo.

If that stunt is fine with YOU or others....Carry-on :excl:

I stand by my statements as posted ;)

Respectfully,

LG

... a fired rifle round can go for miles. How can standing on a "slackline," waiving one's leg and rifle around be a good thing. ...

Allie Mo, you have the strongest and most reasonable comment on why not.

Lumpy Grits, the stunt is fine with me.

So now its up to stepnmud to tell us if a stray bulllet could have traveled far enough to reach another person or their property. I can't tell from the video.

Plus we wouldn't want some guest to see this posted and try it himself and get hurt..only to say to the EMT & police "I saw it on the SASS Wire" and thinking that we support such shooting (as the norm).

I do agree that it takes talent to shoot and trying to balance on a slackline..and I did find it interesting, but it ain't for me and I can't condone it...

I

And to you point Gunner Gatlin, while I can't speak for others, I think I agree that we don't want SASS and CAS in general to be considered unsafe.

Unfortunately, this Wire, SASS and CAS already promotes unsafe behavior with firearms. Some pretty glaring examples are:

• Removal of shotgun, revolver and rifle safety mechanisims
  • Use of antiquated firearm designs that do not have safety mechanisims
  • Loading ammunition outside of the powder manufacturer's specification
  • Loading shotgun ammunition with unusuaul objects or chemicals

While you don't see people posting actual load recipies or safety removal instructions, this Wire is great for private messages enabling anyone that nobody knows to "do the same thing". It is a little late to claim "I saw it on the SASS Wire" as an excuse. It also begs the question of what is unsafe.

And to you point Gunner Gatlin, while I can't speak for others, I think I agree that we don't want SASS and CAS in general to be considered unsafe.

Unfortunately, this Wire, SASS and CAS already promotes unsafe behavior with firearms. Some pretty glaring examples are:

• Removal of shotgun, revolver and rifle safety mechanisims
  • Use of antiquated firearm designs that do not have safety mechanisims
  • Loading ammunition outside of the powder manufacturer's specification
  • Loading shotgun ammunition with unusuaul objects or chemicals

While you don't see people posting actual load recipies or safety removal instructions, this Wire is great for private messages enabling anyone that nobody knows to "do the same thing". It is a little late to claim "I saw it on the SASS Wire" as an excuse. It also begs the question of what is unsafe.

Not quite the same pard - we don't practice 'trick' shooting as in the video.

I have not seen anyone recommend loading outside powder manufactures recommendations, actually seen people tell folks that it is not recommended and can casue injury or worse . Antiquated firearms, if deemed safe to shoot, are safe if they are used properly. Removing a safety device for a competitive gun that already has safety measures in place (like half-cock on hammer) is fine if, again, the user takes precautions. SASS maintains a very safe safety record...and condoning 'trick' shooting or as some deem as 'playing' with firearms isn't good.

That's how I feel about...so :P

and PM'ing people is different that what's viewed publically...

;)

Hey!

You mean they don't recommend feathers, glitter, and chalk! ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

...are those unusual objects or chemicals?....I don't think so...but if you do, don't use 'em.

Hey!

You mean they don't recommend feathers, glitter, and chalk! ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

:lol: Exactly. Going one step further, is there actually a legitimate published source for a black powder shot shell reload recipie prescribing which modern components to use that is condoned by the manufacturer as safe? ^_^

:lol: Exactly. Going one step further, is there actually a legitimate published source for a black powder shot shell reload recipie prescribing which modern components to use that is condoned by the manufacturer as safe? ^_^

Is there a published book condoned by the shooting world on 'how to' perform slackline trick shooting?

Archived