SASS Wire Forum

Above the door gun rack

I used 20 penny common nails and 3/8" clear tubing. Cut the tubing short enough that, when slid on the nail about an inch of nail extends. Drive in until tubing touches door-frame. Seems to work okay.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/therealalpo/Guns/100_0787.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/therealalpo/Guns/100_0788.jpg

For the quickest access I could find I found some magnetic gun holders that I use. I've got three of them mounted along the door frame on the side that opens (not the hinge side). There's an Ithaca eight shot pump that hangs there. Never had a problem with it falling off even when the door is slammed. I've tested it by slamming the door very hard and repeatedly. No problem. One will hold it but I decided to use two more to be sure. I'm probably going to remove one of them as three makes it somewhat hard to pull the gun off. There are a couple different dealers out there but most are pricey. These are made with rare earth magnets so they have a lot of holding power. And no I've not experienced magnetism being transferred to the guns. I'll try to find the name of the guy I bought them from. I bought ten of them the first time around and gave them away to family and friends. At ten the price was less than five dollars apiece including shipping and ins. The other ones I've seen run about twenty bucks plus shipping eaxh.

WK

Marshall Phil's comment brings the question, "Which door?"

I remember Jeff Cooper talking about the Mini 14, hung over the front door, just in case. I remember reading about some criminal that had two pistols hung over the front door, so if he answerd the door to a cop's gun, he'd raise his hands, and SHAZAM, he's got two guns.

Mine are placed over interior doors.

When I was a State Trooper I always kept my loaded duty handgun on one of those big red garage storage hooks inside the top/front of bedroom closet. I have a 12g pump mounted the same way in another closet. My kids & grandkids have grown up around guns but this kept them out of sight & out of mind. Now that they are all older there are guns hidden & not so hidden everywhere.

Cherokee Slim

For the quickest access I could find I found some magnetic gun holders that I use. I've got three of them mounted along the door frame on the side that opens (not the hinge side). There's an Ithaca eight shot pump that hangs there. Never had a problem with it falling off even when the door is slammed. I've tested it by slamming the door very hard and repeatedly. No problem. One will hold it but I decided to use two more to be sure. I'm probably going to remove one of them as three makes it somewhat hard to pull the gun off. There are a couple different dealers out there but most are pricey. These are made with rare earth magnets so they have a lot of holding power. And no I've not experienced magnetism being transferred to the guns. I'll try to find the name of the guy I bought them from. I bought ten of them the first time around and gave them away to family and friends. At ten the price was less than five dollars apiece including shipping and ins. The other ones I've seen run about twenty bucks plus shipping eaxh.

WK

If you do a YouTube search for magnet gun holder there is a guy who shows you how to make theese for a couple bucks and you could make it as long as you wanted for more tension by adding magnets

Archived