SASS Wire Forum

Transfer Bar Inquiry

Bummer - had one break last night whilst popping off snap caps.

Is the only place to get them through Ruger? Looked at the Brownell one but since it is altered from factory not sure if it would be applicable. My gun is stock except for springs.

Going to order at least (2) :lol:

Thanks pards...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Just call Ruger customer service. Have your serial number ready and sometimes they will send them to you for free.

Is the only place to get them through Ruger? Looked at the Brownell one but since it is altered from factory not sure if it would be applicable. My gun is stock except for springs.

Thanks pards...

Thanks pards...

Thanks pards...

Gunner,

Happened to me last month at a shoot. Called Ruger and told them it broke, they said thay are $10. each...........I said cowboy wire says ya send them free......they said ok what is your serial number and address. (we do have pull) I said ok send me 2 they are consec. serial numbers. Nope it ain't broke I said ok I'll by the second one.

got 2 for $13. including shipping. I have a spare I can send ya iffn they are out stock. Then when ya git yourn just send it back.

Oh yea...............that's what ya git fer practicin..............LOL

Blood Washed

Gunner - PM me your address - I'll send you one. We can square up at the IBPG

CR

Thanks so much pard - I am just gonna order a couple of 'em so I appreciate the offer.

Hey Gunner, get ahold of West Fargo or Jimmy Spurs, since they do action jobs taking out the transfer bars I bet they have a few on hand, wouldn't think they would throw them away, but who knows, worth a shot anyway. I'm sure their are other gunsmiths doing the same thing but can't remember their names right now.

All for now JD Trampas

As an FYI you can get Ruger parts from Brownells and Midway. On the Brownells home page just scroll down and look on the left side. You will see a "factory parts" icon. Just click on that.

http://www.brownells.com/

Hey Larson, they are out of stock, seems like everything you would need for rugers, marlins, etc etc is out of stock, shaking my head

All for now JD Trampas

I know. I have had parts from various manufacturers on order for several months. Then the manufacturers make a run of a particular gun and there are parts again for a while.

Hey Gunner, get ahold of West Fargo or Jimmy Spurs, since they do action jobs taking out the transfer bars I bet they have a few on hand, wouldn't think they would throw them away, but who knows, worth a shot anyway. I'm sure their are other gunsmiths doing the same thing but can't remember their names right now.

All for now JD Trampas

Thanks...

I ASS-U-ME these are the NEW Ruger Vaqueros?

My old ones have never had an issue with transfer bars (then I dont practice as much as I should!)

FWIW..YMMV..SOso

Nope - 'original model' Vaquero's - 2nd time in the course of my life this happened (this one was bought in '94)

I thought Rugers never broke?!? (Sorry... couldn't resist -_- )

Regards, TJH

Never heard that from me ;) ...anything that has moving parts is subject to failure. Especially the way we run 'em in SASS.

You know this....:D

I thought Rugers never broke?!? (Sorry... couldn't resist -_- )

Regards, TJH

Greetins TJH. They brake. Its just that they run faster than Colts!..... :lol:

Hey Gunner,

I got some original Vaq and in one of them, the XFR Bar broke at about 250,000 cycles. In the other one, the XFR Bar broke at around 350,000 cycles.

Ruger replaced them, FREE. Both Vaqs had been cycled approx 1.5 million (1,500,000) times EACH without anymore breakages.

Since reaching the 1.5 Mil + mark, I've had those XFR bars removed because I didn't want to worry about any breakages during a big match.

I've got 2 other sets of Rugers that have had less use without any breakages.

Mileage varies!

..........Widder

Hey Gunner,

I got some original Vaq and in one of them, the XFR Bar broke at about 250,000 cycles. In the other one, the XFR Bar broke at around 350,000 cycles.

Ruger replaced them, FREE. Both Vaqs had been cycled approx 1.5 million (1,500,000) times EACH without anymore breakages.

Since reaching the 1.5 Mil + mark, I've had those XFR bars removed because I didn't want to worry about any breakages during a big match.

I've got 2 other sets of Rugers that have had less use without any breakages.

Mileage varies!

..........Widder

Thanks Widder-man! Hey, I took my daughter out last night on a daddy-daughter date and we saw 'Star Wars: Phantom Menace" in 3-D...I think we saw some of you Jedi's :D

Did you say FREE Bob? I've gotten 2 sets from them FREE already. Have you learned to be nice to the lady now and also gotten a set FREE? :) :) MT

OK, I got a guy on the phone. Maybe that was the problem. Next time I'll just have you make the call for me. :rolleyes:

Ouch! Isn't that considered hitting below the belt?!? :o

Hey Gunner,

OMG... only Widder would count the number of times he's dry-fired his Rugers! I bow to your truly remarkable dedication and attention to detail. And I still want to shoot with you one of these days. You're one of my Wire heroes. B)

Howdy TJH.

ya know me...I wouldn't hit a good Pard below the belt. I used the smiley face..... :lol:

My dry fire routine a couple years back resulted in a good way to keep track of my dry fire cycles. Over the course of a year and a half to two years, the number of cycles started to add up. Plus, you have to realize that it only took me about 1 second to dry fire both revolvers 5 times each. I could physically draw both pistols, dry fire each of them 5 times each and start reholstering them within 1.5 seconds.

I would do such an exercise every 10-15 seconds for atleast an hour each evening and sometimes over an hour each evening and multiple times on weekends.

One of my thumbs got blistered. Then the blister turned to a small callus. Then the callus would get cut up by more hammer work.

Although I never worked on so called 'FAST DRAW', my draw times got pretty decent. Some of my quickest draw and fire times were .33

Not exactly world class speed but I was using my standard holsters and Rugers. I didn't slap the hammer with the off hand but rather cocked it with the thumb of my draw hand.

If I ever make plans to get to Texas, there are some folks I want to meet and hopefully shoot with also. And YOU are one of them. You're not only a Wire hero but a Hero off the Wire. You've shown a toughness and courage with the battle you have endured.

Always good to see you on the Wire and hopefully you continue to do well.

God Bless.

..........Widder

I've never broken a transfer bar because all my Ruger six-shooters are 3 screw models and don't have any. They also go click 4 times and have a half-cock notch, and line up perfectly for loading and unloading. If you've never handled or shot one, you should try it sometime. :FlagAm::wub: American made, and the original TANK Blackhawks.

Big Jake

I've never broken a transfer bar because all my Ruger six-shooters are 3 screw models and don't have any. They also go click 4 times and have a half-cock notch, and line up perfectly for loading and unloading. If you've never handled or shot one, you should try it sometime. :FlagAm::wub: American made, and the original TANK Blackhawks.

Big Jake

I love the feel of my Ruger Old Army :D

I love the feel of my Ruger Old Army :D

Yup! Lots of people were sad when Ruger quit making 3 screw guns in 1973 and added the transfer bar. :angry: Blame some dumb kid for shooting hisownself in the chest and getting killed. :wacko: His Parents sued the Mfg. :angry: Lawyers made Ruger rethink how to make it safer to handle. :huh:

Ruger still made the Ruger Old Army gun and they always had the 3 screw action with quarter cock, half cock and full cock notches. :wub:

Big Jake

Archived