SASS Wire Forum

Nipple Wrench

Big Jake1001

I'm looking for a Strong nipple wrench to remove two damaged nipples on an original Colt 1849 .31 caliber gun. I have ordered one from Dixie Gun Works and it broke a soon as I applied any torque to it. I called and sent it back for an exchange. It too broke when trying to unscrew the nipple. I soaked the nipple and cylinder in Marvel Mystery Oil and used Liquid Wrench. I sent it back for a refund.

I looked at Track of the Wolf, but it seems they use the same wrench as Dixie. It's only $6.99 but they charge $5.95 shipping and handling as does Dixie. It will eat you up on shipping charges if they keep breaking. I need to know if anyone makes a wrench that won't break. I have bought 2 replacement nipples from Colt Parts.com at $5 each plus shipping and would like to get them in the gun.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Big Jake

You already have the new ones....sounds like it's time to drill those suckers out.

I'll let you handle that, I have no drill press and would never attempt to try it with a hand-held drill. I'd rather just turn them out without screwing up the original threads. I try and I try...Even White Lightning doesn't have a nipple wrench to fit this little gun.

Big Jake

I recently had a similiar experience with a cylinder nipple being stubborn in one of my '51s.

Given the suggestion and knowledge to back it up...and after ruining three wrenches....to apply downward pressure when loosening the nip and to also make up a little contraption of a base wood and dowel pins to set the cylinder over and have the dowels in the chambers to hold it steady and in place.

Worked like a charm and the nip came out with a little downward pressure. See my pics below and give it a thought/try before you drill them out.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Presidio40582/Gunsmithing/?action=view&current=CylinderHolder2.jpg

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Presidio40582/Gunsmithing/?action=view&current=CylinderHolder1.jpg

This is now permanently a part of my gunsmithing/work bench. ;) I made this little set up with a brass rod and a steel rod I had on hand, and the base to an old and used cylinder loader I had picked up from somewhere long ago and never used.

Archived