SASS Wire Forum

'GUNSMOKE' question

Widder, SASS #59054

Lunch Time discussion and me and Keystone are sitting discussing Gunsmoke, etc.....

We're both wondering, How did Chester get his limp AND/OR, why was it significant for him to have a limp during his seasons on Gunsmoke?

Thanks

..........Widder

it is my understanding that (past interview I saw, long time past)

Dennis Weaver came up that idea on his first day on the set

hiz own self

not the directors (which is strange / odd)

it may have worked for him

but I have never cared for the concept

I personally prefere the shows with festus instead of chester

mileage always varies

Howdy all! Dennis Weaver told the story of Chester. During the reading for the part he was trying to come up with something unique for the character that would make his audition stand out. The idea of a stiff leg as the result of a wound in the Civil War seemed attractive at the time. Dennis said he practiced in his back yard jumping over obsticles and such till he felt comfortable he could maintain the effect on camera. He also said if he had known just what a pain in the backside it was going to become he would have never gone thru with it. Having to do everything with one stiff leg can make even the most mundain tasks a challange--like putting on your boot or getting on, off and riding a horse.

To all who have suffered for their craft-hurray!!

S,G. :D

He had a rock in his shoe.

Hear tell he strapped a piece of wood to his leg so he wouldn't ferget to limp~

In some of the recent reruns with him, it appears there might be something under his pants leg but its so hard to tell exactly.

I do know that he does a good job of keeping it stiff while riding his horse.

..........Widder

In some of the recent reruns with him, it appears there might be something under his pants leg but its so hard to tell exactly.

..........Widder

WIdder....he didn't take no pill with a V on it back then did he :)

Lunch Time discussion and me and Keystone are sitting discussing Gunsmoke, etc.....

We're both wondering, How did Chester get his limp AND/OR, why was it significant for him to have a limp during his seasons on Gunsmoke?

Thanks

..........Widder

On the PBS series, "Pioneers of Television" there was a episode on westerns. Gunsmoke was part of that episode. Dennis Weaver stated that he seemed more like a leading man than a sidekick. His role as a deputy was a sidekick to Arness. He came up with the limp as a way to make him more like a sidekick. Weaver said he regretted this suggestion since walking with a limp was terrible for him.

It was more than just a limp. Supposedly Chester had a wooden leg due to a war injury. Years ago, Dennis Weaver appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, if I remember right. Came limping out with the stiff leg. Tried to sit on a tall stool and kept slipping off. Finally, Weaver said, "Aw heck, we're among friends." He slapped his leg and "Presto!"...it was regular. During the segment, it was brought up that he had run hurdles in college. Well, they had a few hurdles set up and Weaver decided he'd run the hurdles like Chester. He slapped his leg again, made it "wooden" again, and went over the hurdles swinging the "wooden" leg off to the side. Not very fast, but very entertaining.

EDIT: Just checked this out on Wikipedia, and it said that Chester's leg was not supposed to be prosthetic...so I stand corrected. Still saw him on the Ed Sullivan Show in '59 though. :)

He probably wished he had never thought of that idea after limping around for umpteen seasons :)

P.S. Chester was a idiot, but Festus was hillbilly cool :lol:

I thought it was cause he was glad to see Miss Kitty.

The whole Town probably walked that way. They just edited it out.

I thought it was cause he was glad to see Miss Kitty.

:lol:

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

..........Widder

apparently Weaver went through a whole episode limping on the wrong side...

apparently Weaver went through a whole episode limping on the wrong side...

what side was the right one? :huh:

It didn't really matter anyhow as long as he had a little hitch in his getalong

to show his character had physical limitations.

As the show lasted, there were better writers. Both Chester and Festus were interesting characters.

Howdy all! Dennis Weaver told the story of Chester. During the reading for the part he was trying to come up with something unique for the character that would make his audition stand out. The idea of a stiff leg as the result of a wound in the Civil War seemed attractive at the time. Dennis said he practiced in his back yard jumping over obsticles and such till he felt comfortable he could maintain the effect on camera. He also said if he had known just what a pain in the backside it was going to become he would have never gone thru with it. Having to do everything with one stiff leg can make even the most mundain tasks a challange--like putting on your boot or getting on, off and riding a horse.

To all who have suffered for their craft-hurray!!

S,G. :D

Which is probably why you never see Chester putting his boots on. I remember somewhere that Dennis Weaver said he didn't use any prosthesis to keep his leg stiff, but I think it'd be really hard to do something like pull on boots stiff-legged without any "help" like a brace.

Archived