SASS Wire Forum

Transporting Art Work, and all that is envolved!

Wanted to share with you fella's a few photo’s of the large granite boulder, considered to be a piece of art that is being moved to the Los Angeles City musuesm.

Rock in motion, this 340 ton rock leaving a rock quarry in Riverside and headed for a Los Angeles museum is going to take 11 days to travel 105 miles at 3 mph in a round-about route that normally would consist of approximately 55 miles.

Street lights and power lines and anything else needing to be taken down for its 23 foot height all along the route.

I took these pictures while it was parked at the South-West corner of the Ontario International Airport about 10 miles from here. I must have took some 70 or so pictures, probably the biggest truck I'll ever run across, and I've run across and driven some really big ones! Modular axels and beams were built around this 340 ton rock and supposed to consist of some 240 wheels and some 56 axels I think they said...

Large size of trailer is required due to the concentrated area of its load, 340 ton load weight within some 324 sq. ft. or 18’ x 18’, unlike with some other type of loads that actually become part of the rigidity of the trailer itself.

Once in place at the museum, it is supposed to appear suspended in mid air, and allow the public to walk underneath it...

Don't think anyone has ever stated what this project is costing but I can imagine, I was told that it is all being paid for through donations and grants from individuals and large corporations… without any taxpayer monies.

I was also told that the planning for the rock being transported, routes, and gaining permits to travel through the 22 various cities took over 2 years!

What some artist will come up with! :D

Ironhorse Phil

Link go pictures;

Photo 1

Took this picture standing next to one of the pusher trucks, you can just barely make out one of the front puller trucks in front of the forklift and behind the street signs.

Photo 2

Photo 3

Notice that the rock is being suspended only by the eight large turnbuckles, 4 on each side!

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Photo 10

Photo 11

Once in place at the museum, it is supposed to appear suspended in mid air, and allow the public to walk underneath it...

Uh.... I ain't walkin' underneath that thing...! :huh:

By the way... innerestin' that a South Korean transportation company is moving it. :(

Uh.... I ain't walkin' underneath that thing...! :huh:

By the way... innerestin' that a South Korean transportation company is moving it. :(

well gollie gee whiz Hardpan don't you know us Americans are to stupid and cost to much to move such a thing as a rock

well gollie gee whiz Hardpan don't you know us Americans are to stupid and cost to much to move such a thing as a rock

Uh huh. Yup. Well, they prolly at least hired local unskilled labor for the grunt work... :wacko:

Thass how come the new San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge is built in China and hauled over here in sections on barges. According to one "expert," they really had no choice as US companies can't find qualified welders. Doh...! :blink:

But I STILL ain't a-gonna walk under that there rock! :rolleyes:

Company doing the moving job is a U.S. Portland, OR based business, project is being paid for by donations and grants. Signs posted on the beams are those of the many Corporations that donated to the project.

Ironhorse Phil

Aahhhh.... that IS good to know. Thanks, IP~! ;)

... but I still ain't walkin' under no hangin' rock! :lol:

Archived