SASS Wire Forum

3 antique guns for sale

Howdy! I haven't logged on here for awhile but I'll assume the rules cannot have changed too much. The three guns posted below actually belong to a friend of mine in Dallas. Email me directly and I can send pictures and/or introduce you to him; I have no actual interest in these transactions other than messenger boy.....

***Nubbins***

==========================================================================================================================================================================

As we discussed, I would like to sell the following 3 guns. I have attached pictures as well.

1. 1870 US SPRINGFIELD RIFLE - Known as the Allen Conversion (data from Jackson Armory), as it was converted from 1863 model 50 Cal Musket to 70 cal "Trapdoor" breech loading percussion cap front barrel load. Serial number 41421. This exact rifle is now being sold on Gunbroker.com for $1295 starting bid as Item # 275820712 with the following ad:

"It is the rare 1870 model (approximately 12,000 made), in caliber 50-70 government. While the stock shows certain use it has no splits, cracks or other major detractors, appears non-refinished, original condition. Removed from the metal, it shows all the correct indicators of originality, machining marks, etc. The lower tang and left side action cartouches are correct and in their correct positions respectively (see pic's). The metal is in overall good condition showing aged patina, even color with some case showing on the bottom. Mechanical condition is overall very sound. The bore is in excellent, near minty condition, very shootable. Other specifics, relative to model year is the short nosed receiver with 1870 date, the raised lock plate dated 1863 with beveled edge, breach bolt opens further - to a greater degree (than other models), front sight shows signs of original silver plating, ramrod is correct double bevel, the barrel length is 32.5" with the rear sight being in the correct position of correct type and with proper markings and notches. A hard to find rifle, fully functional and highly collectible. These rifles have in the past sold in the $1500 to $1700 range."

I would like to get between $1000 - $1500 for the rifle.

2. COLT .45 NED BUNTLINE COMMEMORATIVE PISTOL WITH CASE - Known as the "New Frontier" Buntline, stainless in glass presentation box with bullets. Serial number NB0937. This exact pistol and case is now being sold on Gunbroker.com for $1995 starting bid as Item # 275372846 with the following ad:

"This Ned Buntline Colt Commmemorative is a New Frontier Single Action Army Buntline chambered for a .45 Long Colt cartridge. The barrel is 12 inches and the cylinder is fluted. The grips are composite black rubber with traditiional eagle. The entire gun is nickel plated. The barrel markings on the left side are "NED BUNTLINE COMMEMORATIVE". The total production is 2973 estimated because some of the 3000 made were not shipped in 1979. The case is dark stained wood with a removable drawer lined with red velvet. Six nickel plated dummy .45 Long Colt bullets and an etched plaque bearing a picture of E.Z.C. Judson and signatures of E.Z.C. Judson and Ned Buntline, his "nom de plume"."

I would like to get between $1500 - $2000 for the pistol and case.

3. SHARPS CARBINE - C. Sharps Pat. Oct. 1852 R.S. Lawrence Pat. Apr. 12, 1859 Breech Loading percussion cap 50-70 - Known as SHARPS NEW MODEL 1863 CAVALRY CARBINE. Serial number 49559. This exact rifle is now being sold on Gunbroker.com for $2900 starting bid as Item # 275515980 with the following ad:

"Converted to 50/70 government metallic cartridge in 1867-68, 3 groove rifling is like new. Barrel markings; NEW MODEL 1863, serial number 76863, lock marked; R.S. LAWRENCE PAT APRIL 12 1859 & C. SHARPS PAT OCT 5 1852. Much faded bluing remains on barrel and graying case hardening colors on receiver, lock and other parts. Good used butt stock and for-end bearing dings and missing some splinters (all fixable by skilled hand). Inspector cartouche visible near carbine ring. All fully functional, tight and crisp, a better specimen than most, nicest bore anywhere! All original and complete."

Also being sold in pristine condition for $4600 on Gunbroker.com as Item # 275695793 with the following ad:

Sharps New Model 1863 Carbine 50 Caliber. In 1867 the government had many of the percussion carbines Carbines it had on hand converted from percussion to cartridge at the Sharps Rifle Company Factory. They were all converted and refinished at the factory to government specifications. Markings left side of receiver: Sharps Pat. 9/12/1848, on lock near center: C. Sharps’ Pat./ Oct./5/1852 upper front section of lock R.S. Lawrence pat. April 12, 1859 metal markings are faint but readable. Walnut stock with oil finish. Bore is relined with three groove rifling. See Frank Sellers, Sharps Firearms p.175 for a detailed discussion of this model."

I would like to get between $3000 - $4000 for the rifle.

I think you need to put what your asking for your nice guns.

Yeah, sorry, that Colt is not an antique, just vintage, 75 or 100 years makes an antique, it's only 3 or 4 decades old, right? :blink:

BUT - - IT IS NOT AN AUCTION!!!!!!!!

The guy indicated his range, that's all. I said I'd put any buyer in touch with him; after that, it's a negotiation. Private. I don't care. Don't shoot the messenger......

***Nubbins***

To be clear - the auctions described were not his guns. He added them for comparison.

***Nubbins***

Archived