SASS Wire Forum

Question for a doctor

Alpo

Kidney transplant.

Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I've heard or read or whatever, that when you receive a kidney they don't take the old one out. There's a fair bit of empty space in the lower torso, so they just stick the new one in next to the old one, and connect the plumbing.

Because of this, they go in from the front.

Is this true?

Movie I just got through watching, in the ending credits they were doing "home movies", and the one guy had been given a kidney by his sister, and they pulled up their shirts and showed matching scars on their lower backs. That dredged up the old memory - "Wait a minute. His oughta be on his belly".

So, they screw it up in the movie, or have I been misinformed?

From what I've watched on medical shows, the surgery for the recipient is much less invasive than the surgery for the donor. They can put the kidney anywhere and re-plumb it to the bladder. But there is only one place they can get the kidney, and it's hard to get to.

The recipient is usually feeling like a full litter box prior to the donated kidney being attached.

The donor, however, has an organ filled with nerve endings removed and this shocks the system like a rabbit punch.

This is information provided by the Cleveland Clinic:

Where does your new kidney come from?

Kidneys for transplantation come from two sources: living donors and deceased (non-living) donors. Living donors are usually immediate family members or sometimes spouses. Deceased donor kidneys usually come from people who have willed their kidneys before their death by signing organ donor cards. Permission for donation can also be given by the deceased person's family at the time of death.

All donors are carefully screened to make sure there is a suitable match and to prevent any transmissible diseases or other complications.

What happens during the kidney transplant procedure?

Kidney transplantation involves placing a healthy kidney into the body where it can perform all of the functions that a failing kidney cannot.

The new kidney is placed on the lower right or left side of your abdomen where it is surgically connected to nearby blood vessels. Placing the kidney in this position allows it to be easily connected to blood vessels and the bladder. The vein and artery of your new kidney are attached to your vein and artery. The new kidney's ureter is attached to your bladder to allow urine to pass out of your body.

What happens to my old kidneys?

In most cases, the diseased kidneys are not removed. There are three conditions that might require your diseased kidneys to be removed:

• Repeated infection that could spread to the transplanted kidney
  • Uncontrollable hypertension caused by your original kidneys
  • Backup of urine into your kidneys (a condition called reflux)

Archived