SASS Wire Forum

ACTS of VALOR... not the Movie

Deacon Will

:FlagAm: ACTS of VALOR... not the Movie :FlagAm:

ACTS of VALOR... not the Movie

Today.... again, I am given with pause as I was informed by my cousin (a Vietnam Vet wounded in action) that his father had passed. The last time I visited him he was in a nursing home and he was obviously in decline. I will greatly miss him. Uncle Luke was a Navy Veteran.

As with so many of that 'Great Generation', they are passing, almost without notice. My father passed and not many outside our family knew he was a Combat Medic in North Africa and later went to Germany (Remagen), later being assigned to prisoners care at the Nuremberg Trials. Just before his passing, he pretty much destroyed all of his pictures and documents relating to his military career. I asked him why he 'threw' away his history.... and was met with "War is to terrible to remember". What he didn't know, was that my mother found those documents and hid them. I reread some of his letters sent to my MOM while he was in service. Never once did he relate what he saw or endured, and I found them to be uplifting and an attempt to make my MOM and the family feel at ease.

Uncle Luke had a brother... Archy, and they both were in the Navy. Archy became a submariner and fought in the North Atlantic... he made a career of the Navy. Luke became a Navy Diver and was later known as a UDT (Underwater Demolition Technician)... what we call a Frogman. He and his group swam ashore at landing sites to recon the beaches before assaults with nothing but a mask, shorts, KBAR knife, slate and a grease pencil to draw maps and write down details. Luke survived WWII without a scratch, came home and was hired to work at what was Marine Land. His job was to feed the fish and clean tanks using a hardhat helment. One day a small shark decided to grab some morsel of food, darted between his legs taking a small piece of his leg along with the morsel. He said he climbed out of that tank and never dove again.... and to hear him tell the story would leave you rolling with laughter.

These men are gone except for a few photos and very fond memories and a heart full of thanks and gratitude for the sacrifices they made so their children would never have to endure what they went through.

I recently watched the Movie Act of Valor with my wife and a packed house and applauded as the credits were rolled. Let's hope and pray the 'next' generation will also remember and also have heart felt thanks for the sacrifices our military is making..... :FlagAm: Never forget. :FlagAm:

BTW.... I would like to thank UTAH BOB for his great efforts to remember our veterans -_-

:FlagAm: Amen. :FlagAm:

Vet honored for acts of valor 67 years later. :FlagAm:

HOOrah.... We found a letter that my father-in-law sent refusing a Bronze Star. He felt he didn't deserve it. He fought in Bloody Peleliu BTW. -_-

Archived