SASS Wire Forum

Guns NOT to detail strip

Chantry

I'm reasonably good at taking guns apart and putting them back together, but I've just added another gun to my Do Not Detail Strip list: Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .32 ACP

Others on the list:

Ruger Redhawk

H&K P7M8, I've never detail stripped it, took the grips off, went OMFG and put the grips right back on.

Winchester 1894

I'm reasonably good at taking guns apart and putting them back together, but I've just added another gun to my Do Not Detail Strip list: Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .32 ACP

Others on the list:

Ruger Redhawk

H&K P7M8, I've never detail stripped it, took the grips off, went OMFG and put the grips right back on.

Winchester 1894

made the mistake of doing that once with the 1903 colt - had to take it in to get put back together.

H&R Handi Rifle trigger group. If you do, do it in a large box cause there's gonna be stuff everywhere. Also write down the name of a good gunsmith cause you're gonna need him to put it back together if you can find all the parts. I know, I know, blind pins etc. Just saying.

I've had my 1894 Winchester down to the frame. It's not that hard to put back together. At least as long as you remember to flex the loading gate leaf spring down flat BEFORE you try to put the screw back in...

Others on the list:

Ruger Redhawk

Winchester 1894

Add Colt Woodsman to that list. (Looootsa' little springs and thingies.)

...add the Colt Government Pocketlite in .380 ACP.

would have to say, so far knock on wood. I was always the type, if it can be broken down, do it. My worst was a Mauser Broomhandle, my first one. Back then there were no break down manuals. It took me 3 weeks to get it back together, and I learned. And I mean every part was taken apart, including the ejector. Everything is pressed into place. MT

I, once had a big wooden Club. I hit a hard surface and it splintered into hundreds of pieces and I tried to collect and glue it back together again. NOPE! Wasn't gonna happen, So I threw it away. Live and learn. :lol: Guns, I do all the time. I'm great with puzzles too. Just sayin'

Big (Whats got his tongue firmly planted in his cheek) Jake

would have to say, so far knock on wood. I was always the type, if it can be broken down, do it. My worst was a Mauser Broomhandle, my first one. Back then there were no break down manuals. It took me 3 weeks to get it back together, and I learned. And I mean every part was taken apart, including the ejector. Everything is pressed into place. MT

I've done my Broomhandle, it's a puzzle, but it can pretty much only go together one way. Of course I had internet pictures to help.

Pistol - C-96 Broomhandle

Rifle - Remington Model 8

My father would not let me shoot either one until I was able to take it apart and put it back together.

Tull

Others on the list:

Ruger Redhawk

Winchester 1894

After several hours of on and off work it is back together, never to be taken apart again!

Did anyone, if you did remember when in Basic Training your DI had you take your M14 apart, layout the parts. Then yell the enemy is coming, get that rifle assembled. Continuously yelling they're getting closer, jumping from recruit to recruit yelling, and many unerved recruits scattering their parts, spring all over the place. I wished someone had recorded those events, I still laugh thinking of the panic, springs, and recruits having the DI get into their face because of him, he(the DI) died. :) :) MT

Yeah, MT, I remember that! I used to be aces with both an M14 and a 1911. Still pretty good with the 1911, but I had my Springfield Armory M1A on the dining room table last night and it was like I was seeing it for the first time! ^_^-_- Gonna try it again today before I take my knee painkillers! ;)-_-

Once saw a Texas A&M graduate 2nd Lt. take an M14 from a soldier at a formal guard mount. He looked the soldier in the eye and twisted the gas plug. It was loose. He didn't move nor did his eyes move as he completely field stripped the M14 and handed the parts to the owner. We never had a loose gas plug again.

Our guard mount was for a nuclear containment area and the guards were issued live ammo so this was serious.

The high point of our guards was when I (Battalion S-2) received a midnight call of an intruder in the area. When I got to the area one of the guards had a 3 star general spread eagled against a wall. The general had attempted to bluff his way into the area. The general threatened all of us with everything up to and including death because I would not accept his "self-ID". Kept him under guard until the local Infantry Battalion Commander came and gave us a sight ID.

We got a letter of commendation from the 3 star over the incident. He felt we had handled it properly.

+1 for the M14 in Basic. With the parts spread out in front of you, the Ass't DI flicking the lights on and off, and the platoon DI screaming at you with his campaign hat brim beating you on the head, it was a bit distracting. But to this day, I can field strip a M14/M1A without a hitch. Not much call for that skill set though.

Yep! Good old Boot Camp.... I figured that they called it Boot because I had one planted up my six a few times.... Along with a few lefts and rights...

Did anyone, if you did remember when in Basic Training your DI had you take your M14 apart, layout the parts. Then yell the enemy is coming, get that rifle assembled. Continuously yelling they're getting closer, jumping from recruit to recruit yelling, and many unerved recruits scattering their parts, spring all over the place. I wished someone had recorded those events, I still laugh thinking of the panic, springs, and recruits having the DI get into their face because of him, he(the DI) died. :) :) MT

What's an "M-14"?

Archived