SASS Wire Forum

Lion Hunter - Wednesday Update

Someone finally speaks out!

Dan Walters: California legislators show their hypocrisy on hunting issue

By Dan Walters

mercurynews.com

Posted: 02/29/2012 04:08:36 PM PST

Dan Richards, who heads the California Fish and Game Commission, is under fire in Sacramento because he killed a mountain lion in Idaho and posed with his trophy for a picture that was later published on a hunting publication's website.

Forty Democratic legislators signed a letter to Richards saying he should resign. "Your actions raise serious questions about whether you respect the laws of the people of California and whether you are fit to adequately enforce those laws," the lawmakers told Richards. Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom later joined the chorus.

So, let's get this straight.

First of all, Richards is not Dan Richard, who heads the state's High-Speed Rail Authority and has more than enough controversy of his own.

Back to Richards, the Fish and Game Commission chairman.

Mountain lion hunting is illegal in California, thanks to a ballot measure approved by voters in 1990. However, it is not illegal for mountain lions to hunt human beings, as several attacks attest.

Nor is it illegal to hunt mountain lions in Idaho, and Richards' trophy was perfectly legal. "I'm glad it's legal in Idaho," he told the Western Outdoor News website.

Richards appears to be guilty only of offending the sensibilities of the Legislature, whatever they may be.

This is the same Legislature that offends the sensibilities of most Californians, according to a recent Field Poll, because lawmakers habitually ignore important issues, carry bills of self-serving trivia, help special interests, and manipulate their schedules to maximize their incomes.

This is the same Legislature that didn't react when one of its members was caught by police with a prostitute in his car, parked alongside a busy Los Angeles highway, or when another crashed her state-issued car while driving recklessly, injuring two people.

More recently, this is the same Legislature that didn't respond when a member was nailed for shoplifting, or when another carried a loaded pistol into an airport security checkpoint.

As for Newsom, a politician who had an affair with his top campaign aide's wife shouldn't moralize.

Let's dig a little deeper.

Should any political figure who does something legally elsewhere that is illegal in California also resign?

Should an official who legally hunts any animal or catches any fish elsewhere that's protected in California be censured? Should one who legally bets on basketball in Reno be required to do penance in California?

Same-sex marriages still are illegal in California, although that may, thankfully, change soon. Would it be improper for a gay or lesbian legislator to legally marry in another state?

The letter to Richards is the sort of hypocritical, politically correct claptrap for which the Legislature has become justly infamous.

I heard portions of a letter written by Chairman Richards to the Legislature. He basically told them to mind their own business :wub: Too bad politics has to stick it's ugly nose into someones legal activities. Dan Richards is one of the first Chairman of the Fish & Game Commish in many, many years that is a hunter and fisherman. Even tho I live in Colorado, I still follow the happenings in California where I was born and lived for 58 years.....it's bad enough now... that it's not hard to follow the smell of the politics :(

Yeah, Sage, it's unreal listening to this stuff.

Local news last night said that Gavin Newsom (Lt Governor and former mayor of San Francisco) had also called for his resignation, and that finally Dan had replied to the legislature and essentially told 'em to stick it (far more diplomatically than I would've).

They had clips of a couple of the legislators on the news, and evidently some of 'em have their noses really bent out of shape over Richard's response - "How DARE he...! Such nerve!" (Not a direct quote, but essentially their tone).

I can tell you from personal observation that the members of that party - in this state, at least - do NOT represent their constituents... rather, once elected, they become a part of the "machine" and do as they are told or face censure or worse. A couple of local representatives were literally kicked out of their offices and moved to tiny, sub-standard quarters outside the capitol building simply for voting their constituents wishes, which were contrary to the "party line."

When they turn on us gun owners - which I fear is coming - I hope the population's response isn't as feeble as it is in Dan Richard's defense. -_-

Do you really want a game warden or head of a wildlife conservation agency to be someone unfamiliar with hunting and the outdoors?

I think not. Outdoorsmen make the most effective conservation managers because they understand the relationships between hunters, wildlife and the ecosystem.

People raised on Disney movies should stay indoors and leave such things to people who know what they're doing. :wacko:

Do you really want a game warden or head of a wildlife conservation agency to be someone unfamiliar with hunting and the outdoors?

I think not. Outdoorsmen make the most effective conservation managers because they understand the relationships between hunters, wildlife and the ecosystem.

...hence Ted Nugent - he would be a good one :) His retorts would be a hoot to watch :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My letter to the local papers with copies to the legislature, Fish and Game, and a host of others.

Re. Hunt riles politicos, Daily Bulletin, Wednesday. February 29, 2012:

WHAT HYPOCRACY!!!

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom is asking for Dan Richards to step down as president of the state Fish and Game Commission because Mr. Richards legally, and at great personal expense (He didn't make the taxpayers fund his trip under some pretense that he was on "state business") shot a mountain lion in the State of Idaho. Note: NO LAW WAS BROKEN!

I would ask that, before Mr. Richards even considers stepping down, that every employee of every level of government in the State of California...district, city, county, or state...be they elected, appointed, hired, or under contract, ANYONE who has ever broken any law within this state, or actively encouraged anyone to break such a law, has ignored any law, or who has over-ridden any law in their official capacity, step aside FIRST.

This would include, but not be limited to, marijuana and other drug use laws (including so-called "medical" uses), immigration laws (including allowing public funds to be used for education, driver's licensing, housing, welfare etc., refusing to enforce any immigration laws, etc.), trespass laws (occupation of public and private grounds and buildings, as well as illegal marches), attempting to carry and/or carrying weapons aboard aircraft, illegal use of tax monies (including, fees, fines, and seizures), disregard for "same sex marriage" laws, and a host of other offenses.

For Mr. Newsom to blatantly and hypocritically call for anyone to be removed for ethical "violations" is the epitome of disingenuousness, based upon Mr. Newsom's own personal record.

For anyone, especially a member of the California Assembly, to accuse anyone of "thumbing his nose at California law") based on the Assembly's horrible record of not passing timely budgets and not obeying other laws of the state, is positively ludicrous.

For the President and CEO of the Humane Society (Is this the Humane Society of the U. S.? If so, in my opinion they have a lot to answer for concerning their attacks on legitimate businesses and the use of the donated funds they receive), a private organization with a suspect agenda, to make the statement "that Mr. Richards is "thumbing his nose at the people of California" is equally disingenuous and borders on the ridiculous.

All of these attacks on Mr. Richards appear to stem from a political motive fostered by, what is in my opinion, the leftist motives of politicians, the various environmental organizations which have huge influence over the country, and those individuals who are driven by personal agendas which include a great fear and hatred of conservatives within government and without, and a huge desire for personal profit, power, and aggrandizement.

Stick to your guns, Mr. Richards (Yeah, I know. The pun was intentional) and stick out your term.

Some of us think you're doing a terrific job.

Tom Taylor

My letter to the local papers with copies to the legislature, Fish and Game, and a host of others.

Re. Hunt riles politicos, Daily Bulletin, Wednesday. February 29, 2012:

WHAT HYPOCRACY!!!

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom is asking for Dan Richards to step down as president of the state Fish and Game Commission because Mr. Richards legally, and at great personal expense (He didn't make the taxpayers fund his trip under some pretense that he was on "state business") shot a mountain lion in the State of Idaho. Note: NO LAW WAS BROKEN!

I would ask that, before Mr. Richards even considers stepping down, that every employee of every level of government in the State of California...district, city, county, or state...be they elected, appointed, hired, or under contract, ANYONE who has ever broken any law within this state, or actively encouraged anyone to break such a law, has ignored any law, or who has over-ridden any law in their official capacity, step aside FIRST.

This would include, but not be limited to, marijuana and other drug use laws (including so-called "medical" uses), immigration laws (including allowing public funds to be used for education, driver's licensing, housing, welfare etc., refusing to enforce any immigration laws, etc.), trespass laws (occupation of public and private grounds and buildings, as well as illegal marches), attempting to carry and/or carrying weapons aboard aircraft, illegal use of tax monies (including, fees, fines, and seizures), disregard for "same sex marriage" laws, and a host of other offenses.

For Mr. Newsom to blatantly and hypocritically call for anyone to be removed for ethical "violations" is the epitome of disingenuousness, based upon Mr. Newsom's own personal record.

For anyone, especially a member of the California Assembly, to accuse anyone of "thumbing his nose at California law") based on the Assembly's horrible record of not passing timely budgets and not obeying other laws of the state, is positively ludicrous.

For the President and CEO of the Humane Society (Is this the Humane Society of the U. S.? If so, in my opinion they have a lot to answer for concerning their attacks on legitimate businesses and the use of the donated funds they receive), a private organization with a suspect agenda, to make the statement "that Mr. Richards is "thumbing his nose at the people of California" is equally disingenuous and borders on the ridiculous.

All of these attacks on Mr. Richards appear to stem from a political motive fostered by, what is in my opinion, the leftist motives of politicians, the various environmental organizations which have huge influence over the country, and those individuals who are driven by personal agendas which include a great fear and hatred of conservatives within government and without, and a huge desire for personal profit, power, and aggrandizement.

Stick to your guns, Mr. Richards (Yeah, I know. The pun was intentional) and stick out your term.

Some of us think you're doing a terrific job.

Tom Taylor

I wish I could write as good as you Forty

...hence Ted Nugent - he would be a good one :) His retorts would be a hoot to watch :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

No he would not...at least in California. He was busted for several F & G violations a couple of years ago when he was making an ephisode for his hunting show. Hunting deer over a baited area and shooting an illegal spike deer. He kinda forgot California ain't Texas :o

Archived