SASS Wire Forum

RIP Davey Jones

Used to love to watch the Monkees as a kid ~ and dug those cool hot rods too...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/29/us-davyjones-idUSTRE81S1T520120229

GG ~ :FlagAm:

RIP Davey

I used to live in Martin County. Saw him around a few times. Loved horses. Nice guy.

Rest in Peace Davey. Thanks for the tunes.

I grew up listening to the Monkees, and still have a lot of their music on my iPod. Looks like it will be a night to pull some of those tunes up.

RIP Davy Jones.

My wife had such a crush on him....

Yep, they were a lot of fun back in those days.

RIP Davy Jones.

We, (my band) have been workig on I'm a believer. Great song. Just wish I sounded a little more like D.J., when I sing it.

They, (The Monkees) were better than the got credit for, and between them and the Beatles, you have the reason there's MTV.

We, (my band) have been workig on I'm a believer. Great song. Just wish I sounded a little more like D.J., when I sing it.

;)

Try putting a clothespin on your nose.

I am singin' Steppin' Stone' tonight as a small tribute for our Sassy's and mine's karaoke date tonight :D Doesn't matter which 'Monkee' sang it :lol:

and yes - that's a +3 as my wife also had a crush on DJ...and David Cassidy, Leif Garrett, Rick Springfield, Don Johnson (I think she is the only one that's likes the song 'Heartbeat' :huh: )

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I rarely missed that show on Saturdays when I was a kid..The Beatles and The Monkees were the first groups to fuel my desire to learn to play guitar..I always LOVED that Spanish-style guitar solo on "Valerie"..Was a little disappointed when I learned it was actually done by one of the L.A. session cats and not Mike Nesmith..Of course they did a lot of the backing tracks for a huge number of hits from the '60's..Top notch musicians! B)

The Monkees were probably the first of the "Made up by the record companies" groups..Still, they did some GREAT songs.."Valerie", "Daydream Believer" "Pleasant Valley Sunday" "I'm a Believer" "Steppin' Stone" and "Last Train To Clarksville" (Another personal favorite) '60's classics at their best!

I was truly saddened to hear about Davy Jones passing..He was one of those guys that always seemed eternally young..RIP Davy.

I rarely missed that show on Saturdays when I was a kid..The Beatles and The Monkees were the first groups to fuel my desire to learn to play guitar..I always LOVED that Spanish-style guitar solo on "Valerie"..Was a little disappointed when I learned it was actually done by one of the L.A. session cats and not Mike Nesmith..Of course they did a lot of the backing tracks for a huge number of hits from the '60's..Top notch musicians! B)

The Monkees were probably the first of the "Made up by the record companies" groups..Still, they did some GREAT songs.."Valerie", "Daydream Believer" "Pleasant Valley Sunday" "I'm a Believer" "Steppin' Stone" and "Last Train To Clarksville" (Another personal favorite) '60's classics at their best!

I was truly saddened to hear about Davy Jones passing..He was one of those guys that always seemed eternally young..RIP Davy.

Their early stuff was written and performed by Boyce and hart. The Monkees just lip synched the song. I don't know which song was their first that they actually did sing.

Their early stuff was written and performed by Boyce and hart. The Monkees just lip synched the song. I don't know which song was their first that they actually did sing.

They didn't lip sync, they actually sang them, but they weren't allowed to play the instruments until later. As I recall from a documentary, both Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork were decent musicians and were kind of put out when they showed up with instruments for a recording session and were told not to bother.

They also had music written by Neil Diamond and country songwriters such as Michael Martin Murphey, who wrote one of my favorite Monkees tunes, "What am I Doing Hangin' Round"

Archived