SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBW

I guess that would beat STAR trying to herd the deer in the yard :lol:

BMC

It is gonna turn cold again down here , I put out 4 hills of cukes and 8 tomato plants today

Last year I had to replant at least 3 times :blink:

CB

We got lotsa time for another freeze but there sure isn't one in the 10-d forecast either. When those rabbits start rolling the grape leaves and smoking them look out!

Good morning, it's a dreary, chilly, rainy, 34 degree start and might get up into the mid 40s later.

I'll be off, later this morning, to the gunsmith's to pick up a revolver and shotgun that have been repaired.

Good morning, it's a dreary, chilly, rainy, 34 degree start and might get up into the mid 40s later.

I'll be off, later this morning, to the gunsmith's to pick up a revolver and shotgun that have been repaired.

Are you in Seattle?

Good morning to all. We're waking up to clearing skies and 32 degrees here in western NY. The forecast is for a sunny day with a high of 50.

Badger, thanks for the Utube links.

I ordered a dozen early season nymphs from a fly tyer in the Catskills. He emailed that he mailed them out Wednesday so I should be getting them today. Our regular trout season opens April 1st.

Good morning Willy.

I have to wait for the lowland lakes to open at the end of April. That is ok, because with Momma's surgery and the cold wet spring, I will not be able to get out until May anyway. Looking for the Mother's Day Hatch,

Maybe on the Yak River.

Mayfly. I forget which one. I will have to go back and check my file. I like the Parachute Adams in size 14 though.

The Yak has a hatch of Skwala Stone flies on it right now. But that will be over by May. Also we get a BWO and March Brown hatch but they should be pretty well through by then. The BWO is good most of the year because of the crummy weather patterns, but in the warm sunny days, most folks switch to either nymphs or dry and for get the little reliable BWO.

Our Mother's Day hatch is of Caddis. They're called "Brackies", "Grannoms" and/or "Shad Flies".

We don't normally see caddis until later in the season. July or so. I love to fish those big bugs with a dry line. They are easier to see than the mayflies.

There is nothing as amazing as sitting in a float tube on the lake in early June or late May, when a mayfly hatch comes on. I call them little magic bugs, because they just "appear" before your eyes. No ripple, no

shadow, just pop, a bug.

But that tells me that probably a nymph fished shallow will work better than a dry in the lake. Unless they are sipping.

My theory is that a nymph MOVING toward the surface is more likely to attract an attentive trout than a hatched bug on the surface that might fly away at any second. Ya gotta think like a fish. :lol:

My flies have arrived! 3 size 14 Early Black Stonefly nymphs, 3 size 16 Peaking Caddis, 3 size 16 Isonychia nymphs and 3 size 14 Green Rock Worm Larva.

Now I'm ready.

FISHIN' REPORT

I thought about you guys this am , sitting in the boat , with a Hot cup of coffee .

Got blown off the water , wind up pretty good

Before that happened 5 crappie and 2 white bass , junped into the livewell :)

They are now residing in the fridge :lol:

Kept about 1/2 of what I cuaght , ended up catching 6 or 7 species of fish

CB

Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172

Posted Today, 01:11 PM

Sounds like a good arsenal. You might look into some Mahogany duns for later in the season.

And the standby, elk hair caddis.

BMC, I have a pretty good supply of dries and terrestrials built up. I don't lose them like I do the nymphs.

Chickasaw Bill, SASS #70001

Posted Today, 04:40 PM

FISHIN' REPORT

I thought about you guys this am , sitting in the boat , with a Hot cup of coffee .

Got blown off the water , wind up pretty good

Before that happened 5 crappie and 2 white bass , junped into the livewell

They are now residing in the fridge

Kept about 1/2 of what I cuaght , ended up catching 6 or 7 species of fish

CB

That's the makings of a good supper for you CB. We're havin store bought fish tonight.

Archived