SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

Roaring River is just up the road apiece , it is a trort hatchery and fishery run by the Mo state DNR . I have not been up there in the last 2 years , been down with med issues .

I hope they put some Browns in the lower fly only area , they are a lot of fun when you can get em to come to a bettle or an ant . I like to see em splash .

I have had lots of 50 fish days up there , you can keep 5 , so I will string 4 , then go play catch and release , Mom likes fresh trout when I smoke them .

We do not have much in the way of wild trout streams here , we do have warm water fish smallmouth bass , pan fish , ect . in our streams and rivers .

White Bass should be moving in the tribituarys to the lakes , the hybreds and small stripped bass will run with them so it can get interesting if you have then take a swipe at you thinking you are playing with a couple of pound fish when it is a lot bigger fish , largest fish on a fly rod is an 18 3/4 lb stripe .

WE have been having lots of wind so the 2 wt will probley stay in the truck , I will have the 2 and both 4 wts , an 8 ft and the 6 1/2 ft small stream rod . Hope the wind stay down , i may throw the 8ft 6 wt in just in case .

CB

Sounds like a good trip. Good luck. Keep your line tight and your backcast out of the trees.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I woke up to about an inch of new snow this morning. So today I will start on the trout reels and lines and then maybe take Jack up to the river to check it out. It was way down the other day but looks like it is coming back up. I check the station at Gold Bar every morning on the computer. Might tie a few fish dredgers tonight. Got a new pattern I want to try out.

It's sunny and clear in the upper teens here. I think you might like checking out www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/62202.html

So BMC... you're telling me that if I were take your little red snow shovel and tie my shoe laces end-to-end off'n the handle, use a marshmallow as a bobber, and bend a paper clip into a hook, I couldn't come and play with you boys...??? Boy howdy, that sounds purty toney and elitest to me...

Vaya con Dios

I am an elitist. I only have good people as friends. :)

If you think you can catch fish with the rest of us fly chuckers, jump in.

You got some great water down that way. Zane Grey fished the Rogue

for many years. I think he wrote a book or sang with the RIDERS OF

THE PURPLE SAGE, or something like that.

My Father was full Apache. Mom is Irish and German..................................................

Guess dat's makes me a mutt :mellow: ........................wif one very nasty temper ! ! :blink:;)

Pshaw... That make you 'merican. :)

Well.... I've resisted looking at this thread for quite some time now 'cause I suspected it was what it is.

My fishing system is simpler and more efficient. I'm with Bama on this. You guys have fun and stay outta' trouble!! :lol::lol::lol:

Nice here today, high 50s, sunny but windy. Did a little shooting today testing some new reloads. I plan to fish tomorrow.

BD - Just so you know fly fishing is as simple or as complicated you want to make it. A big plus is you never have to worry about bait. :)

CB - What kinds of flies do you tie?

Sir

I tye most everything , wets ,wollys, floss flys , drys , Trout Bugs , just the run of the mill stuff .

I have quit tying hackle tio wings in the drys , they do not seem to make any differance here , plus they are a lot easier to tye .

Do a bunch of ODD stuff , I have come up with , not on the books , but it works well .

Some folks LAUGH at what they see , until they see how well it does .

I can carry enough stuff it fish for the day in my shirt pocket , A wallet for wets , a small box for drys , a spool of tippet , and a set of hemostats . I ditched the vest years ago ,

CB

Well, my cable has been out most of the day so I spent the time napping and working on my reel drag.

Got a little 5/6 System 2L Scientific anglers reel that I use for flat water trolling with a float tube. In case

it goes over the side it is not one of my Hardys. Last time I cleaned it I got it back together wrong and the drag didn't work. Well today I took it apart and spent the better part of the afternoon studying it. Now that sucker will stop an Orca. Phones were out too. Got them back on line. The electron gnomes must be POed

at me.

CB, I buy more than tie.... but do tie some midges and also tie my own concoction for local streams. It has a green floss body with a Peacock herl head. I also tie it using a black bead for the head so it goes deeper quicker. It works good on the small creeks around here.

BMC, hope you didn't get the effects of that big solar flare they're talking about. Son in Alaska called earlier and told us about it.

BBW

Just like shooting , If I did not do most of it myself , I would not get to play much .

guess that is why , I have developed cheap and simple ways to get by .

You might try doing up something like an ADAMS except use peacock for the body , I use peacock if I want a bit more FLASH .

Something else differant is to use glass beads insted of metal , I have also used plastic beads to make a simplefied edd sucking leach

lots of simple changes to do it cheaper than fly shop materals ,

Folks get tied to , it has to be just like the book , if there is much pressure on the fish , they have seen all the reguular stuff ,

Change it up and they will come over to take a l@@k . :)

Once you get them to move , they are easy to hook up :lol:

CB

One of my favorites is a bright green LaFontaine Sparkle Caddis Pupa. I fish them as two fly rig with one on a dropper. They're deadly in the Beaverkill's pocket water.

This here one looks to be a good stream fly this summer when the caddis are on the water.

Or just before.

Forgot the link.

Also google in Davie McPhale's Irish cormorant.

Looks like that could work just about anywhere there is still water.

Got out fishing for a few hours today. The trout were not in a cooperative mood and spurned my offerings. Anyways, it was still nice to get on the water.

I took Momma and the dog to the river today. It is closed but I wanted to see how it was running. Looks a bit high and and off color and we are expecting more rain tomorrow.

I got a good idea for a stillwater fly. I think I will tye some up tonight.

It was in the 50s yesterday but it's in the 20s with snow flurries today. I'm gonna sit down and tie up some Copper Johns and some Midge nymphs today if I can find my magnifier glasses.

Well, I am off to the sawbones today for an interview. I got an internal scope coming up later this month.

I doubt that the stuff I get to drink will taste like beer or Mac. Ughhh.

I was going through my fly tying stuff last night. I came across all sorts of stuff that I never use. If you fellows have a need for it, It will try to catalog it and send it to you. I know I have a patch of black bear that I never use. I don't even know of a pattern that calls for it. DOH!

You ought to create a fly using it. Think up some fancy, catchy name for it and become famous as it's originator. Maybe something like "Badger Mountain Charlie's Bear A-- Barracuda Bug" :lol:

Yesterday, it was sorta slow, what with me suffering with a sore throat and stuffed nose. So I too the

little Scientific angler reel apart and cleaned it and reassembled it. Last time I had it apart I must have re assembled it incorrectly. Anyway the reel drag didn't work correctly. So I went to work and found the problem. When I got it back together I was surprised at the amount of drag it has. For an inexpensive reel

it has some guts. I am wondering why they don't market it more than they do. It has an interesting price point as reels go these days. It reminds me a great deal of the Medalist classic.

"Medalist".. was that made by Pfleuger? I have a couple of old "Finalist" models made by South Bend. Got em a long time ago.

Kinda favor the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock models now and I have a Ross "Cimarron" #2 that I really like.

Yep, the pflueger medalist, made with an adjustable shoe brake on it. They were well made but cheap. I believe that they were a painted aluminum construction. Came in various sizes. I think they used them for salmon in the streams at one time. At least for jack salmon.

When flyfishing became so popular back in the'70s, they went to a more sophisticated bar stock aluminum

construction. Of course the price went way up, we are talking about guys that fished in the tropics on

lush islands that could afford them. I am still trying to understand the Abel color reel system of color

anodizing the reels to match the fish's color. That is a bit over the top for me. I guess what ever sells.

I love my Hardys, but I have to admit that they are a bit dated. But they still sell. I think they sent manufacturing to the East so I do not know how that will work out. Mine are all made in Alnwick England.

Now all I need is one of those Holland and Holland SXS or O/U and I can pose as an English Duke. :lol:

All I need in a fly reel is for it to go around when the fish runs. I seldom catch BIG fish. He77, I seldom catch fish. :lol:

Archived