SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

Travel light, remember your chest high waders cover most everything, all you need are sox, a shirt and a hat. :lol:

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

THINK I MIGHT TAKE MY LIGHTWEIGHTS.

I spent the afternoon taking the line off my big reel and straightening it out. I only have

three more reels to go and then I can start on the trout reels. That is 9 more.

Wonder what kind of flies they eat down under.

Son informs me I have to wear rubber soled wading boots when I go up there to fish Alaska's Kenai water. Felt soles were banned in Alaska as of January 2012. Got any experience with any rubber sole wading boots that grip the streambed rocks good?

How about studs. They make a sandal type slip on with steel or ceramic studs. Those rocks get slick from the glacier runoff. Do you have a good wading staff? Another good thing to carry. I would ask him what the locals use. Falling down in the river is never a good thing.

I think the reason they banned felt soles is because a lot of folks from the lower 48 would come to fish and carry in all sorts of parasites on the soles of their feet. We have a problem here with the invasive zebra mussels. But I believe that the ban on felt soles might have more to do with the whirling disease that is prevalent in Montana and is spreading to Idaho, Washington and I think, wyoming.

Here is the link to the issue:

http://www.kenairiverfishingreport.com/2012/01/alaska-felt-sole-ban.html?z

And the guy casually says "come visit". Wonder what kind of stuff they feed them critters.

:lol:

I have been struck with the steelhead bug AGAIN. I had thought I had put behind me, all the lust, craving, and insane desire for these beautiful creatures. I fear that if I live long enough, that you might find me

sometime next winter, standing in an ice encrusted pool of some free flowing river, with my ice encrusted fishing rod in hand, a somewhat dazed look in my eyes as I vainly try to remove the ice from the guides in the rod and free my stiff fishing line for one more cast to that pool with all the fish that are ignoring my offering. There is no cure for this addiction. So many times in the past that I have returned to my home and family, my face flush with the cold of the mountain air, only to fall asleep in my chair as my body slowly begins to warm to normal temperatures..

My name is Charlie and I am a steelheader.

I do use a wading stick usually in the early seasons higher water. I tried sandals with the metal studs ONCE and will never use sandals again. I was wading along about waist deep working along a fallen tree in the water. In doing so I got the sandal on one foot caught on a branch. I couldn't pull or work it loose and the branch would bend but wouldn't break. I wound up having to go under water to free myself. Luckily it was a warm day and the water relatively shallow. The lesson was well learned. Simms says they have rubber type soled boot that sticks to the rocks like glue. We'll have to see.

My breathable waders are about 5 seasons old and late last season I noticed one leg was leaking. I found the leak and used the sealing UV light goop on it. I use neoprenes to fish in the winter. I figure if the breathables still leak this season I'll spring for a new pair and try the kind that have a zipper in the front. Have you seen those?

That wading stick sure makes it easier to cross streams, especially if they're flowing at a good clip.

I ain't worried about the cold but if ya didn't wear yer waders yer pants would get all wet :lol:

Waders ? Waders ?

We don't need no stinking WADERS

Ya gotts to be CITI-FIED to need them :blink:

It ain't that COLD

CB

Chickasaw,

Apparently you have not waded a stream that is coming directly off a glacier or snow pack.

It is cold in July and August, but especially so from November to March. I'll take the citified waders. :rolleyes:

Charlie,

We New york/Great Lakes Steelhead fishermen owe your state of Washington. The Steelhead we catch now are the descendants of those that came from the Chambers Creek strain. The NYDEC imported them from Washington back in the 1970s. They were propagated at the Salmon River Hatchery in Altmar, NY. The offspring were released into various tributaries of Lakes Ontario and Erie where they thrived and still do today. I will raise my glass to you, 2 or 3 times in appreciation, later today!

That is an interesting story, Boots. Back in the early 1960s, I believe it was 1966, there was a problem in Lake Michigan with the Alewife that came in through the St. Lawrence Seaway built in the 1950s. For some reason, they just exploded and became a problem for the beach dwellers because they would spawn and die and then wash up on the beaches to rot. Just like nature intended. There were pictures in the St. Joseph, Michigan papers of bulldozers burying the alewife. Some bright soul, God bless him, got the idea that if they planted Coho Salmon in the lakes that they could control the alewife. It worked big time. A new fishery was born, and not only that the streams of Michigan, Wisconsin and Ontario became alive with spawning salmon.

I had not heard of the steelhead but it makes sense. Michigan was at one time the premier steelhead destinations in the US but logging and settlement took it's course. I am sure that upstate New York would be vacation land for steelies. It is good to see them back.

Interesting that we now have Atlantic Salmon due to a venture in aqua farming and escapement. That is another interesting fish for the fly rod. That said, I prefer salmon for table fare, although a good smoked steelhead or Atlantic salmon makes for good eating. The King and Sockeye are the best but the Coho is not far behind.

It's true that the NY part of the Great Lakes Fishery provides some incredible fishing. The sad dilemma is when it comes to eating them. Lake Ontario is the last Great Lake in the chain. All of the pollution over the years from the upstream Lake's pollution, plus it's own, make the consumption of it's fish not a recommended thing to do. People do eat them, however, and the state DOH has developed guidelines as to who shouldn't eat what from where, in what amounts and how often. Most all waters of the state at one time or another were the recipient man's carelessness. The water does look clean and things have much improved but it's what you can't see that hurts you. I will occasionally take some pan sized trout from some secluded streams to eat. They are darn good rolled cornmeal and fried in bacon grease, with a mess of dandelion greens and a cold beer.

Alas, the same thing is happening here. Even the ocean stock is somewhat in jeopardy.

Puget Sound is very much like the Great Lakes. It is so large that it does not drain very

well from the south end. Then there are the tide ebbs and flows. Plus Canada dumps

raw sewage into the straights from Vancouver and Victoria. Or at least they did at one

time. Fishing is still good in the Northwest corner of the state but that is because of

the Olympic mountains and the National Forest are protected. Clean run off is the norm.

Not so with other rivers in the area. The Green is pretty prestine up around the source,

but when it gets into the urban area, it is called the Duwamish. Don't ask me why.How

anything could survive in that industrial cesspool is beyond me. It has affected the

once strong runs of steelhead in the Green. There are others but the Duwamish is

the worst.

The Sea Lions have destroyed the steelhead run on the Cedar. A beautiful little

river that runs right through Renton into Lake Washington.

Here is something for your visual entertainment. I thought it ironic that the "boys" gathered around

her just as she was getting ready to fill the redd.

Watch STEELHEAD HEN IN HER REDD.

http://www.steelheadclub.com/steelhead-videos#!__steelhead-videos

That's an great video. I bookmarked that website. I want to look at the others there, especially the dam removal one.

They are all pretty interesting. The one on the wild salmon release is interesting. I just hope what they are

selling is true. A lot of wild stock is winding up on ice in some shop keeper's store. Some of it on the

table of restaurants.

I have read that wild caught salmon is much better for you in nutritional regards than the farm raised salmon. Much more Omega3 and protein.

Are they, or can they do anything about the sea lion problem ?

Apparently not. The Sea Lion was put on the endangered species list back in the '90s and they have never taken them off. Some have been found shot in the estuaries of some of the ocean facing rivers but nobody

is going to claim doing it. I think the fine is $10,000. for each one you shoot. Pretty expensive.

Interesting fact, the steelhead that they have decimated were within a Badger's whisker of being put on the list so then you would have an endangered species threatened by an endangered species. Which one is more endangered and more benificial. I think you know who I would vote for. :lol:

I have been fighting a head cold for the last week, but today, I went downstairs and rewound all of the lines on my steelhead reels. I am pumped to go as soon as the weather clears up and the rivers open.

Normal winter weather has been here for the past few days but it's supposed to be in the upper 50s by Wednesday and stay warm and dry thru the weekend. Our Bluebirds and Red Wing Blackbirds are back. There is a small limestone creek, Spring Brook, located about 15 miles north of where we live. It's open year round for flies and catch & release. I think I'll go up there on Thursday and wet a line for the afternoon.

If you get a chance check out www.douglastonsalmonrun.com It's a little "hi-end", but I've yet to see a hearse with a luggage rack. :rolleyes:

Roaring River is just up the road apiece , it is a trort hatchery and fishery run by the Mo state DNR . I have not been up there in the last 2 years , been down with med issues .

I hope they put some Browns in the lower fly only area , they are a lot of fun when you can get em to come to a bettle or an ant :) . I like to see em splash .

I have had lots of 50 fish days up there , you can keep 5 , so I will string 4 , then go play catch and release , Mom likes fresh trout when I smoke them .

We do not have much in the way of wild trout streams here , we do have warm water fish smallmouth bass , pan fish , ect . in our streams and rivers .

White Bass should be moving in the tribituarys to the lakes , the hybreds and small stripped bass will run with them so it can get interesting if you have then take a swipe at you thinking you are playing with a couple of pound fish when it is a lot bigger fish , largest fish on a fly rod is an 18 3/4 lb stripe .

WE have been having lots of wind so the 2 wt will probley stay in the truck , I will have the 2 and both 4 wts , an 8 ft and the 6 1/2 ft small stream rod . Hope the wind stay down , i may throw the 8ft 6 wt in just in case .

CB

Waders ? Waders ?

We don't need no stinking WADERS

Ya gotts to be CITI-FIED to need them :blink:

It ain't that COLD

The problem with not using waders is

shrinkage! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CB

Archived