SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Diagnostics

Went to the range last night to punch some paper. Good groups, but not exactly centered.

Then I remembered this little aid:

For right-handed shooters ... http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetRightHanded.pdf

And for southpaws too ... http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetLeftHanded.pdf

It's a target that tells you what you're doing wrong.

Thought y'all might find it handy too.

Thanks for the links, had misplaced them awhile back and I do like to have these targets in my bag, just in case I start to go off the reservation, so to speak.

Captain, I have a card in my wallet from American Target that shows that very thing. They are good to give you some idea about reading a target. They are only a guide though and meant for trained persons.

If I tell someone they are using the wrong grip then the next question will be which way is correct?

You have to know these things to be able to give the proper answer.

We use to have a old saying about how to improve one's shooting skill and that was Practice, Practice, Practice.

That how ever is not quite correct in the sense that a person may shoot until he or her is knee deep in brass and still not improving.

It takes a knowledgeable coach to watch and read the target and the person while firing to see what the weak spots are and then tell them how to fix them.

I see many shooters that with just a change of grip they would do much better.

My point being that it's nice that you posted the information but you must let new shooters understand that they need help also. Take Care David

Practice practice practice is the worst thing to tell an old redneck who has been doing everything wrong, religiously, for fifty years! With a name like Six-Toes Bob, I am just not sure how much more I kin last practicin my boyhood techniques.

It's perfect practice that makes perfect!

Practicing "Solution Analysis" to emphasis doing everything correctly is the way to go.

Don't emphasis or dwell on the negative.

Sua Tela Tonanti

Ordnancebob

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

That's made for them one-hand-shooting Bullseye shooters mainly.

So I reckon it's for Duelists & us GFr's too.

It's GOOD STUFF, for sure.

MG

The card applies to all types of shooters and not just Bullseye.

I went to the FBI Firearms Instructor School that did not just hand out diplomas for showing up.We started with 53 shooters and only 22 graduated.

Not saying I'm any better than anyone else by no means and yes the word is perfect practice.

If you don't have a trained shooter that knows how to instruct then you may do more damage than good and that was my point about the card.

I have seen some very good shooters who could not convey the proper steps to another shooter as they had no skills or any idea of teaching. I have also seen very good shooters who could relay the needed information.

Teaching proper shooting skills requires a knowledge of what steps are needed so that a person does not become upset with themselves and give up.

Telling a person to align the sight and squeeze the trigger will not help them at all unless you have taken the needed steps to get to that point.

It helps to have some sort of printed material or overhead projectors so that they may see and not just hear you in their ear getting louder and louder and saying "I SAID TO SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER NOT JERK IT"

The biggest mistake that I've seen is when the instructor whips out his revolver and shoots the center out of the target and then tells the students; That's the way to do it!!

This will cause two problems, the first being that it will cause the weak shooters to feel very inadequate. The second is that you may be off that day and someone in the class may shoot better. The others will say that guy is not that good, how can he be teaching us when Joe out shot him.

It's also much better to have another instructor teach any family members as it will go much smoother; teaching your wife may turn in to something that you don't need.

A champion shooter does not make a champion instructor if he has no skills.

Archived