SASS Wire Forum

Rank points at there worst

Shotgun Bandit

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the Wild Bunch suddenly changes their mind, the only they that would force them to reconsider their position would be if at the next Winter Range and EOT, around 200 shooters showed up. I don't think there is anything else members can do that would get their attention. Smokin Gator

Unless the Wild Bunch suddenly changes their mind, the only they that would force them to reconsider their position would be if at the next Winter Range and EOT, around 200 shooters showed up. I don't think there is anything else members can do that would get their attention. Smokin Gator

The WB matra for EOT this year is shooters first, we are listening.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I told ya you wouldn't be happy, you never are.

Outta all of the crotchety, blind eye, over opinionated, can only see one way posts made by Ol' fools on this topic... that one actually made me laugh!!

What I don't like about this topic rearing it's ugly head every year (or more) is that it's hurtful and disrespectful of the "Winner's" at these matches. They show up and play by the rules and then a bunch of curmudgeons on the wire show right up and wanna negate their accomplishments by crying the "Rank Point" foul!! Let's just say we knew what the rules were, the contestants knew what they were, they shot, and some came out well!! Good Nuff and Congrats!!!

C'mon page 14!!

Well said, years ago I had the opportunity to talk with three WB members and all three said RP will be with us until they pass on.

If you back up far enough in time, I'd bet that as boys they also probably said they'd never kiss a nasty girl, let alone marry one. :) A few months ago I had the opportunity to visit with the Judge and this is the opinion I came away with: The man listens and he is open-minded. He understands that making people happy is what advances the game.

The topic of rank points never came up, but I would not be surprised to hear that if, in the process of an open-minded discussion, someone was able to convince him that it would be good for the game to do away with rank points...it would occur.

Do I really care one way or the other? Not really, but it's an interesting conversation.

Yeah, and don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, Shooters will shoot the matches then come home and bitch about the way they were scored. Knowing full well how it was gonna be scored before they went. The ones that lost are the biggest complainers it seems. Champions don't fuss about things.

What's interesting about this thread (and others where folks get rather heated) is that we are all supposedly like minded thinkers. I.E. we probably vote pro gun, anti- big government. Imagine if we were at odds about something really important like immigration or abortion or gun rights or isolationism or Congress. Heaven forbid what might transpire.

What's interesting about this thread (and others where folks get rather heated) is that we are all supposedly like minded thinkers. I.E. we probably vote pro gun, anti- big government. Imagine if we were at odds about something really important like immigration or abortion or gun rights or isolationism or Congress. Heaven forbid what might transpire.

Hi Joe,

Some of us are not in sync on these things. However, I know better than to air mine here. :ph34r:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well,

Been shooting matches scored both ways for almost ten years. Usually it is of greater benefit to be scored total time. This weekend I shot a pretty consistant match while my pard Widder shot less than a stellar match. Well, I beat him using Rank Points, Yeehaa! However, the match was scored Total Time, drat. Just when I thought I was pulling for Total Time, it bit me in the butt.:D I have fun no matter how we score it. Just awful glad we have SASS & CAS.

Hasta Luego,Keystone

SASS customers vote each year with their renewals .SEEMS everything is OK with RP .

True except for the fact that the vast majority of shooters will never make it to eot or winter range. So the way they score there doesn't make too much difference.

Changing to TT from RP isn't going to have a big affect on attendence either way...folks will shoot EoT or WR...or whatever for reasons other then the scoring system used. Sure, we have our preferences...but we shoot matches without too much concern over the scoring method.

I do find it interesting though that many of the folks that are hurt the most by Rank Point scoring are in favor of it. The middle of the pack folks get dinged the most.

Oh well...enjoy the rest of the following 7 or 8 pages.

:FlagAm:

We don't need no math. And I am absolutely certainly entitled to MY preference same as you.

Yer right - we do need Math....that's what you're saying...I think...did you mean to write the double negative?

And I do believe that I never said you aren't entitled to your preference...but...is it gramatically correct to say "absolutely certainly"???

Very confusing...but again, Math ain't your thing...certainly obviously.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

but...is it gramatically correct to say "absolutely certainly"???

Careful you'll be starting that whole spelling BS again...

Changing to TT from RP isn't going to have a big affect on attendence either way...folks will shoot EoT or WR...or whatever for reasons other then the scoring system used. Sure, we have our preferences...but we shoot matches without too much concern over the scoring method.

I do find it interesting though that many of the folks that are hurt the most by Rank Point scoring are in favor of it. The middle of the pack folks get dinged the most.

Oh well...enjoy the rest of the following 7 or 8 pages.

Hey Phantom, a quick question. How many TT matches have you shot in Texas and surrounding states since you have been here?

Just a question.

Yer right - we do need Math....that's what you're saying...I think...did you mean to write the double negative?

And I do believe that I never said you aren't entitled to your preference...but...is it gramatically correct to say "absolutely certainly"???

You don't know that because you don't know me. For all you know I might just be a math genius. Oh wait ye are right: math is not my thing. Silly me, of course you know because you are the omniscient one.

Grammatical "correctness" is not all that important on a cowboy forum any more than perfect spelling or sweating it when the boys break into cowboy pidgin. As I have tried to tell ya oh about a dozen times now, communication is the thing and just about anything goes so long as the reader doesn't have to stop and go "huh?".

I was beginning to think ye are just looking for petty crap to pick on me about and then I remembered!!

You still swole about that "opps" deal ain'tcha? Now there was a right fine example of no good deed goes unpunished.

Wow 8 pages. Like it :) , hate it :angry: , or just don't care :blink: , it's still a shame the MD and host club don't have a choice for regional and above. I don't undertand what's the big deal about allowing the host club to choose. :wacko:

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I don't undertand what's the big deal about allowing the host club to choose. :wacko:

Da rules don't allow it, that simple. Ya don't unnerstand the rules?

Da rules don't allow it, that simple. Ya don't unnerstand the rules?

Of course I understand the rules, and I'm sure you understood the meaning of my whole statement. If not I'll try again. The WB will not let the TGs vote on allowing MD and host clubs to choose TT for regional and above. What's the big deal?? Why will they not give the clubs the right to choose. Understand??

The WB will not let the TGs vote on allowing MD and host clubs to choose TT for regional and above. What's the big deal?? Why will they not give the clubs the right to choose. Understand??

Yep, I unnerstand. Seems that some don't understand that the WB is the boss. What the BOSS says goes. Just like your boss at work, what he tells ya to do, ya do if ya want to continue on in your present capacity. If not, ya find another job, just like here. If ya don't like the rules, find another shooting venue that suits ya better, then start trying to change it. The TG's don't have a vote on it, never have and probably never will. Understand??

I agree, most all matches here is AZ are scored based on total time. IMHO there is no need to continue the use of rank points. Rest in peace Coyote Calhoun, but when your argument goes to "we've always done it that way" it's time for rank points to go!

TB

======================================================

When someone uses the lame excuse that "we've been doing it that way" is when you tell them that "Been" doesn't work here anymore.

"When someone uses the lame excuse that "we've been doing it that way" is when you tell them that "Been" doesn't work here anymore."

-----------------------

Well that's an interesting statement. The excuse you're calling lame comes from the people who started this game about 30 years ago.

You telling them that "Been" doesn't work here anymore is you telling them it doesn't work for "you".

Wanting to change game rules is like people in government making new laws. They make them to benefit not the people at large but themselves.

The way rank points is used in SASS has it's problems. It can be made better.

Rank everyone as if they all shoot against each other, them split out categories using those rank points that add up to more shooters than in that category.

Shooters not completing all the stages finishing in front of shooters who do shoot all stages. If you don't shoot the entire match, why should you be eligible for any category prizes much less overall.

I'm still thinking about stage winners who don't shoot all stages. My current thinking is if the match gives out stage winner awards, I'm okay with anyone who finished a stage being scored for that stage.

I know there are stages started but not finished. These count as DNF. But to not even attempt a stage. DNS You haven't shot the stage at all. So you haven't shot the complete match.

As far as Rank Points vs Total Time. I don't care as long as I know before the first shot. I can adjust. Just like special range rules. As long as I know I can try to avoid breaking them.

--------------

I'll discuss my opinion but I will not respond to personal attacks.

This ought to get some more pages on this thread.

Too many to count...here in my area most use TT.

Tried to send you a PM but...So I'll just ask here

Phantom, just curious which clubs do you shoot at in Texas that use Total Time?

Up here in my part (North/NE Texas) it’s all Rank Points. Also the same in Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Mississippi.

Just curious, I might come shoot some of them at some time this year.

I once told you I really do like favor TT over RP but in my part of the world, Rank Point Matches are the norm.

Ringo

Tried to send you a PM but...So I'll just ask here

Phantom, just curious which clubs do you shoot at in Texas that use Total Time?

Up here in my part (North/NE Texas) it’s all Rank Points. Also the same in Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Mississippi.

Just curious, I might come shoot some of them at some time this year.

I once told you I really do like favor TT over RP but in my part of the world, Rank Point Matches are the norm.

Ringo

Plum Creek

Green Mountain Regulators

Texican Rangers

Tejas Cabs

And of course, a bunch in California

That's off the top of my head ;)

Archived