SASS Wire Forum

Daytona

Utah Bob #35998

About as bad as the 4 drivers that have driven into my parked squad car with red flashing lights while I've been investigating accidents, and the countless others that pull up and sit behind me, flashing reds and arrow stick, at disabled vehicles.

Amazing how many people drive where they look. Look over at the nice police car and run right into it, works especially well for drunks. Keeps you nimble on your feet, and your eyes always moving. That last one is a hard habit to break as you will soon find out In the mean time be safe

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you didn't notice the parts and sparks flying out from under Montoya's car then you weren't looking very closely. I've owned several of the cars you list and none of them would run at or near 200 mph. Having worked for AMC, I don't remember ever seeing a 401 with more than one camshaft, and although the AMX was a fast car it only had a 390 in it from the factory. On the Corvette there is a switch that keeps the A/C clutch from engaging at high rpm. You should have that looked at.

I'm not a fan of JPM, but having been "on my head" at nearly 200 mph I can relate to what he experienced.

The 440s were wedge motors, (engines were called motors sometimes back then)and they didn't even put the MAX wedge (full tilt 440 with cross ram 2x4bbl intake) in the cop cars. They'd run about 160 mph, (that IS fast) but you're still 40 mph of 200. The AAR Baracuda and the hemi Daytona/Superbird were the two fastest cars Chrysler produced back then. I've ridden motorcycles faster and owned or driven several drag and one street car that would easily run at the 200 mph mark, and the mistake most folks make is to believe that they can just go out and buy that car and practice a little and they can do what the NASCAR and NHRA guys do. As a matter of fact, that is why congress hung the noise restrictions on auto racing back in the day. Those old codgers figured that they might not be able to play colledge or professional football or baseball, but they could sure enough drive a car, and with a little practice they could run with Richard Petty and Bobby Isaacs.

These top echelon race car drivers are every bit as special as any other athlete and have way more nerve than most. I know a few of our top military (and I'm not disparaging the military in any way) guys who won't do what Danica Patrick does.

The 440s were wedge motors, (engines were called motors sometimes back then)and they didn't even put the MAX wedge (full tilt 440 with cross ram 2x4bbl intake) in the cop cars

The 440 was avaiable with 2 carb options.A single 4bbl or a 3 2bbl setup.The "Max wedge" was a 426 with the 2 4bbl cross ram manifold and the earlier version of that was the 413 which was produced til 62.The 426 came out in 63.

The 440s were wedge motors, (engines were called motors sometimes back then)and they didn't even put the MAX wedge (full tilt 440 with cross ram 2x4bbl intake) in the cop cars

The 440 was avaiable with 2 carb options.A single 4bbl or a 3 2bbl setup.The "Max wedge" was a 426 with the 2 4bbl cross ram manifold and the earlier version of that was the 413 which was produced til 62.The 426 came out in 63.

You're right Charlie, I got 440 on the brain there. The MAX wedge was a 426 and before that a 413! Man! those old cross rams were huge!

:FlagAm: The coverage of the Daytona 500 we recieved did not have a prayer or the antheim. I mentioned to my wife that something bad was going to happen during the race.

McKenzie

The Invocation and National Anthem was done very early in the broadcast. At least our broadcast showed it.

Watch the replay of the wreck. Montoya is down at the bottom of the course, they estimate he is doing 100++mph, sparks fly from under the car, something broke, and he hangs a hard right turn. He immediately locks up the brakes but he has no control over where he is going. So no matter who was behind the wheel the momentum, the broken suspension, and the track caused the direction the car took.

Separate from that Montoya is taking up a seat that a good NASCAR driver should be filling. Kind of like Dale Jr.!!!

That wreck cost NASCAR some serious money. Replacing that turbine and the truck, yikes. They said the truck driver is OK just shaken up and some bruises. ALso a change of underwear was in order?

Ike

they did the prayer and anthem on Sunday...had the flyover and a concert by that country & western great Lenny Kravitz. good enough

[quote name='irish ike, SASS #43615'

Separate from that Montoya is taking up a seat that a good NASCAR driver should be filling. Kind of like Dale Jr.!!!

Ike

be careful disparaging people....I said something less than that and people thought I peed on the 88 flag..

That wreck cost NASCAR some serious money. Replacing that turbine and the truck, yikes. ..

Ike

I suspect they'll be able to absorb the cost. :rolleyes:

They could not let Dave Blaney win.....got to be a megastar. Blaney and Nemecheck are the ones relegated to the back of the pack ...Designated wreckers I call them....when somebody needs a boost...cause a wreck, rub the wall, blow an engine, tire go down etc.....

something to get your boy back on track.

You're right Bob. Add $1.00 to each ticket and they will be way ahead.

I took 1 1/2 hours to get the track ready. It was 1:00 am their time. Why did they need to finish the last 38 laps? Sell more beer?

Ike

More commercials. Ka-ching!

I'm 65 years of age and have always been interested in anything that has a motor including the female ones.

After returning home in 1968 from the Army they had a program IIRC that was called the Manpower Development Act and paid for by the Government. The idea was to train men in the different crafts needed in the area.

I signed up for the Auto Mechanics course which was 9 months long. Some guys failed who had no previous experience. It was stated that you should already have a working knowledge before attending as it was an advanced course that certified you to work in a dealership.

I passed and secured a job with a shop that was involved with NASCAR racing in what was then called the Sportsman Class. It's today's Nationwide class.

We had a very nice 5/8 mile track and I was a mechanic for the race car and worked the pits on Friday nights when the races were held.

We had races against Red Farmer, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough,Donnie Allison and all the up and coming racers of the time.

I don't care for Juan's style of driving but there was nothing he could do but hold on for the ride.

I also don't understand the hate or dislike for drivers like Dale Jr. He was born a Earnhardt which he did not pick and his father put him in a race car and told him what he was going to do. If he is so bad then how come he beat out all of the other drivers still running to finish second.

To say you dislike or hate a person you have never sat down with and had a one on one conversation shows that you are either very narrow minded or a very jealous person who can't measure up to his standards and it's easier to say you don't like him.

I was taught that a friend is a stranger that you have not met yet.

NASCAR is a sport that is meant to entertain just like SASS.

If you hate Lead Dispenser for being so dang fast then you are not in the correct game for you. Relax and enjoy life and try to find that good that is in most people if you take time to see it.

Dale Jr's first home was the same as many of his fan's even though he could have purchased what he wanted. He had a manufactured home which is the new word for house trailer.

He and his sister are very close and run a family business trying to carry on that family tradition. The same as what Hank William's sang about. How can a person find fault in that.

...I also don't understand the hate or dislike for drivers like Dale Jr. He was born a Earnhardt which he did not pick and his father put him in a race car and told him what he was going to do. If he is so bad then how come he beat out all of the other drivers still running to finish second.

To say you dislike or hate a person you have never sat down with and had a one on one conversation shows that you are either very narrow minded or a very jealous person who can't measure up to his standards and it's easier to say you don't like him.

If you hate Lead Dispenser for being so dang fast then you are not in the correct game for you. Relax and enjoy life and try to find that good that is in most people if you take time to see it.

Dale Jr's first home was the same as many of his fan's even though he could have purchased what he wanted. He had a manufactured home which is the new word for house trailer.

He and his sister are very close and run a family business trying to carry on that family tradition. The same as what Hank William's sang about. How can a person find fault in that.

+1, Very well said!

I have always been a fan of #3 since the first time I watched him race and then Dale Jr. when he started racing Busch series. I'll agree he may not be as good as his dad was nor does he have the same drive and attitude but he is still a good driver and good person form everything I have seen. He did finish 7th in points last year so no one can say he is not a good driver.

All the stories I have heard his dad did not give him much, he had to go out and earn it for himself.

+1, Very well said!

I have always been a fan of #3 since the first time I watched him race and then Dale Jr. when he started racing Busch series. I'll agree he may not be as good as his dad was nor does he have the same drive and attitude but he is still a good driver and good person form everything I have seen. He did finish 7th in points last year so no one can say he is not a good driver.

All the stories I have heard his dad did not give him much, he had to go out and earn it for himself.

Jr. also has a cowboy town he had built on his property. He might be a candidate for a S.A.S.S. honorary membership. :unsure:

I agree Jr. Is a good guy. He is voted the most popular driver. I believe a bit of his fathers past is part of the vote.

Yeah he finished second Monday, and he was 7th in points last year. My issue with him is his blaming crews, crew chiefs, motor builders etc. switching teams, cars, owners is what he was saying that was preventing home from winning.

This is a competitive sport. The goal is to win and win the national title. Someone who hasn't won a race in 133 starts is a poor performer. It sure isn't the car, the motors or the people managing the team. He has the best equipment and resources given to him. I would offer that someone performing like this in other sports would soon be traded or find themselves off the team, no matter how popular they were.

Ike

"To say you dislike or hate a person you have never sat down with and had a one on one conversation shows that you are either very narrow minded or a very jealous person who can't measure up to his standards and it's easier to say you don't like him.

I was taught that a friend is a stranger that you have not met yet."

well said...maybe we should all just sit down with Obama, Pelosi, Biden, Eric Holder....I am sure they are nice people. maybe I just read some bad stories about them or listened to the wrong people.

I agree Jr. Is a good guy. He is voted the most popular driver. I believe a bit of his fathers past is part of the vote.

Yeah he finished second Monday, and he was 7th in points last year. My issue with him is his blaming crews, crew chiefs, motor builders etc. switching teams, cars, owners is what he was saying that was preventing home from winning.

This is a competitive sport. The goal is to win and win the national title. Someone who hasn't won a race in 133 starts is a poor performer. It sure isn't the car, the motors or the people managing the team. He has the best equipment and resources given to him. I would offer that someone performing like this in other sports would soon be traded or find themselves off the team, no matter how popular they were.

Ike

if it just wasn't for those other 42 drivers out there also trying to win....

I'm 65 years of age and have always been interested in anything that has a motor including the female ones.

After returning home in 1968 from the Army they had a program IIRC that was called the Manpower Development Act and paid for by the Government. The idea was to train men in the different crafts needed in the area.

I signed up for the Auto Mechanics course which was 9 months long. Some guys failed who had no previous experience. It was stated that you should already have a working knowledge before attending as it was an advanced course that certified you to work in a dealership.

I passed and secured a job with a shop that was involved with NASCAR racing in what was then called the Sportsman Class. It's today's Nationwide class.

We had a very nice 5/8 mile track and I was a mechanic for the race car and worked the pits on Friday nights when the races were held.

We had races against Red Farmer, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough,Donnie Allison and all the up and coming racers of the time.

I don't care for Juan's style of driving but there was nothing he could do but hold on for the ride.

I also don't understand the hate or dislike for drivers like Dale Jr. He was born a Earnhardt which he did not pick and his father put him in a race car and told him what he was going to do. If he is so bad then how come he beat out all of the other drivers still running to finish second.

I have no like or dislike of Dale Jr. It just seems to me that he is more of a Kyle Petty than a Dale Sr. Remember the old commercial with K. Petty in it........"racing's my hobby". That's the way that Jr. seems to feel about racing in my opinion. He's a "personality", not a devoted race car driver. Not a bad driver, just not a great driver. Just for the record, I wasn't a Sr. fan either although I believe him to be one of the top 3 race car driver's that ever lived.

One other thing, yes Nascar is a sport that is meant to entertain............Nascar just pays a helleva better.

CS

Nascar stopped being a sport a long time ago. Kinda like wrestling. It's all for $how now.

Tell that to drivers like Dale Sr. and Dan Wheldon. If it's all for show, why are they dead. :rolleyes: Motor racing is really a sport. If you participate as a driver you probably risk your life. The rest of this stuff you call sports is or are games. Where else do you take the chance of being burned, boiled, or bludgeoned for someone else's entertainment. :angry::unsure::lol:

I have no like or dislike of Dale Jr. It just seems to me that he is more of a Kyle Petty than a Dale Sr. Remember the old commercial with K. Petty in it........"racing's my hobby". That's the way that Jr. seems to feel about racing in my opinion. He's a "personality", not a devoted race car driver. Not a bad driver, just not a great driver. Just for the record, I wasn't a Sr. fan either although I believe him to be one of the top 3 race car driver's that ever lived.

One other thing, yes Nascar is a sport that is meant to entertain............Nascar just pays a helleva better.

CS

CS,

I think you and I have agreed on almost all of this over the years. Think about the lowest placing car, just start and park, $250,000, not bad for a days work or less. $200,000 for leading at midway. $1.6 mil to win.

What I enjoyed most (the race and wrecks were interesting) was the kids on the back stretch under red. They were like kids (high income Kids, but kids), playing with cell phones,laughing, cutting up, twitter, whatever else they could cojur up, emailing pictures. Once that was over they were back at 200MPH, and never blinked. They were having fun for our entertainment. If you watched all week like I did, you saw kids come out of wrecks that caught fire rolled over, everything imagineable, and too the driver they said 'Boy they were having fun".

They pretty much put a stop to the start and park a couple of years ago. I'm a Jr fan, but I like most of the drivers. I just don't root for anyone not driving a Chevy. Kyle Busch is the only one I really don't like. He's just an idiot. But I've never seen anyone drive looking thru his side window as much as he does and not endup in a wreck.

Tell that to drivers like Dale Sr. and Dan Wheldon. If it's all for show, why are they dead. :rolleyes: Motor racing is really a sport. If you participate as a driver you probably risk your life. The rest of this stuff you call sports is or are games. Where else do you take the chance of being burned, boiled, or bludgeoned for someone else's entertainment. :angry::unsure::lol:

BD,

I will not attempt to argue with you. I will attempt to explain my thoughts. I agree that Motor Racing as a whole is a sport. It takes a lot of work by a lot of people to be at the top level. It can also be a "fun" sport, down at the grass roots level. I raced cars for a while, we called it club racing (SCCA). I enjoyed it, the competition, the people, the cool cars, and I knew every time I got in that car I could be injured or seriously kilt. I took the risk, for the fun. Racers at the top, know they could die at any time, I hope most of them do it for the fun. I have a sad feeling that a lot of them do it for the fame.

Nascar has become all about entertainment, money, pleasing the crowd. It has nothing to do with proving who is the best driver, what company has the better product, who has the smarter crew chiefs. Every car on the track looks the same, Nascar allows some manufacturers special privelaedges while holding back others. If you come up with a great idea, and use it in your car, even though it's not illegal, they make you remove it from your car. Drivers and teams are censored, they are told how to act and what to say and who to say it to. With all the control Nascar has over the teams, and all the players, and when Nascar can change the rules any time THEY want, fow whatever reason, it can't be called a sport. It's a game (Kinda like wrestling and politics).

"if it just wasn't for those other 42 drivers out there also trying to win.... "

Sounds like something Dale JR. would say. So after over 3 years of not winning a race Dale must be popular for what reason?

NASCAR has made the sport so level it is boring to watch. And I'm a fan. Everything on every car is exactly the same except for the motor and the driver. I remember the good old days when you could look at a car and tell who manufactured it. The big three were always trying to do something to be innovative. So each year you looked forward to what the manufacture's did to give themselves an edge. Now you have to look for the decals.

It used to be how fast you can go, now NASCAR regulates the ability to go fast. If you got rid of the restrictor plates, then you'd see some racing.

Ike

I didnt know the Fords in Nascar were Mustangs..they sure dont look like a Mustang...they look like the Camry and the Impala...wor whatever Chevy uses...

I lost interest in NASCAR when it became a team sport. When drivers stopped racing to win and started to drive to assure a team a team victory it lost all of its integrity. The cookie cutter cars didnt help either. Car manufactures used to use racing as a test bed for new innovations. Those days are long gone

Nascar stopped being a sport a long time ago. Kinda like wrestling. It's all for $how now.

Marshal, you cant't be serious......wrestling? :wacko: A pre-determined winner with choreographed moves? Sorry, not a chance.

BD,

I will not attempt to argue with you. I will attempt to explain my thoughts. I agree that Motor Racing as a whole is a sport. It takes a lot of work by a lot of people to be at the top level. It can also be a "fun" sport, down at the grass roots level. I raced cars for a while, we called it club racing (SCCA). I enjoyed it, the competition, the people, the cool cars, and I knew every time I got in that car I could be injured or seriously kilt. I took the risk, for the fun. Racers at the top, know they could die at any time, I hope most of them do it for the fun. I have a sad feeling that a lot of them do it for the fame.

Nascar has become all about entertainment, money, pleasing the crowd. It has nothing to do with proving who is the best driver, what company has the better product, who has the smarter crew chiefs. Every car on the track looks the same, Nascar allows some manufacturers special privelaedges while holding back others. If you come up with a great idea, and use it in your car, even though it's not illegal, they make you remove it from your car. Drivers and teams are censored, they are told how to act and what to say and who to say it to. With all the control Nascar has over the teams, and all the players, and when Nascar can change the rules any time THEY want, fow whatever reason, it can't be called a sport,It's a game (Kinda like wrestling and politics)..

Of course Nascar is about entertainment, what else are publicly broadcast sports about. If it wasn't entertaining, why watch it. I've been watching all types of auto racing ever since I was a kid in the 60's. I liked the old cars also, excessive cheating made it necessary to hire the very people who knew the most about cheating to be the cheater police. This in turn lead to a uniformly designed car to make catching the cheater easier. Renown cheaters on the 48 car were caught at Daytona because of this. Of course Nascar can have control over the drivers, rules and teams, it is that way in any sport. The way a driver, crew chief or car owner responds to the media (who always seems to have a camera everywhere) reflects on the sport.......much as one bad employee reflects upon the entire company he/she works for.

Wrestling and politics, not hardly.

CS

I didnt know the Fords in Nascar were Mustangs..they sure dont look like a Mustang...they look like the Camry and the Impala...wor whatever Chevy uses...

I.J., the Fords in Sprint cup, the top level of NASCAR are Fusions. In the Nationwide series they are Mustangs.

If you look at most of the top levels, whatever sanctioning body, there is a formula to level the playing field. In F1 the rules can change minute to minute, and you can find yourself with a machine that can't be raced. In NHRA you can be perfectly legal and if you run too fast they can add weight or change your index between runs if they chose to. The Daytona prototypes and GTs are readjusted from race to race to the benefiet or detriment of one manufacturer or another. We ran Comp Eliminator and Top Alcohol in NHRA and IHRA and would have to add weight or change something numerous times during the year to pass tech.

Marshal Phil, we can dissagree. It's alright.

Archived