SASS Wire Forum

Daytona

Utah Bob #35998

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda' reminds me of Days Of Thunder where Harry tells Cole to go hit the wrecker 'cause he's already hit everything else!! :lol::lol::lol:

You know everyone was glad to get that week over! Had to be the longest, strangest Daytona weeks ever.

Too bad none of Dale Jr's teammates could be there at the end to help him just a little, he very well could have won, almost did anyway.

Could you imagine trying to reconstruct the events to come out the same. Just couldn't do it. Everything that could go wrong went wrong and at the exact time to hit that jet engine. Just hope the guy in the truck is OK. They said he was, but he looked hurting when they got him out. May be some rule changes after that one.

How bad a driver do you have to be to hit a large brightly colored machine with flashing lights under a caution flag?

Ever driven a really fast race car and have it break?? I have. You'd be amazed at what all you can hit!! :unsure::rolleyes::wacko::lol:

Keep in mind that these cars under caution are running at speeds equal to top speeds we as everyday drivers are limited to on many roads.

You guys can't fool me. That truck was loaded with moonshine when Juan hit it. ^_^

Well, the jig is up. Charlie done figured out the real reason why we're all mad at Montoya. :P

Montoya is, well, not a NASCAR driver. But something did break on the car and he lost control. One of the announcers said he was doing around 100mph trying to get around to the pack after pitting. As everyone said, 'just when you think you have seen everything, along comes something else.

I'm going to get yelled at but Dale Jr. is the Kyle Petty of the Ernhart family. He hasn't won a race in 133 starts!!!!! He may be the most popular driver but he isn't one of the biggest threats out there. He changed teams, owners, cars etc because his losses were someone else's fault. Again after 133 starts I think the problem may be a bad connection behind the steering wheel!

Ike

The only bad thing was I fell asleep in my easy chair by the fire during all the cleanup. Woke up and the race was over :blush: The good thing was one of my favorites driving a FORD won :P:D Roush Fords were the car to beaqt all week.

From what I've seen (and I'm a big NASCAR fan since the late 50"s) is that Montoya is not really well like in the garage.

The only bad thing was I fell asleep in my easy chair by the fire during all the cleanup. Woke up and the race was over :blush: The good thing was one of my favorites driving a FORD won :P:D Roush Fords were the car to beaqt all week.

From what I've seen (and I'm a big NASCAR fan since the late 50"s) is that Montoya is not really well like in the garage.

You too? I went to sleep during the clean up and woke up to some ditsy reality video show.

Ever driven a really fast race car and have it break?? I have. You'd be amazed at what all you can hit!! :unsure::rolleyes::wacko::lol:

Keep in mind that these cars under caution are running at speeds equal to top speeds we as everyday drivers are limited to on many roads.

My father worked for an American Motors dealership and the second car that I ever owned was a 69 Javelin, Copo car that had been the owners son’s.

401 cid 4 speed with Isky cams , Hooker headers and Holly 4 barrel. My play toy today is an 88 Corvette convertible with all the tricked out goodies. My daily driver is a Firebird. The first police car I ever drove was a Dodge with a 440 hemi and one of the last that I was issued was one of the Chey’s with a Corvette engine. I have driven some very fast cars fortunately they all held together at high speed. Although the vette will burn out the ac clutch at 110 if you forget to turn it off, did that one twice before I learned

I just find it very convenient that it was at that exact moment that “something broke”

My father worked for an American Motors dealership and the second car that I ever owned was a 69 Javelin, Copa car that had been the owners son’s.

401 cid 4 speed with Isky cams , Hooker headers and Holly 4 barrel. My play toy today is an 88 Corvette convertible with all the tricked out goodies. My daily driver is a Firebird. The first police car I ever drove was a Dodge with a 440 hemi and one of the last that I was issued was one of the Chey’s with a Corvette engine. I have driven some very fast cars fortunately they all held together at high speed. Although the vette will burn out the ac clutch at 110 if you forget to turn it off, did that one twice before I learned

I just find it very convenient that it was at that exact moment that “something broke”

as a mopar guy I just have to point out that there is no 440 hemi. 440's wre wedge engines. late model (66-71) hemi's were 426's and not avail in police pkg's.

Danica seems to be a wreck magnet as well. She seems to get caught up in everybody else's mishaps :blush:

At least nobody shoved her into the wall. She might've finished 38th, but she looked cute doing it. :wub:

I think he was easily going over 70 mph....yup, can't control much when the car goes seriously awry in the wheel, suspension, chassis area (don't know exactly what happened - guess we will soon enough)....according to this report he was full on the brakes and still crashed into the truck.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/Daytona-500-Juan-Pablo-Montoya-crash-ignites-huge-fire-022712

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My father worked for an American Motors dealership and the second car that I ever owned was a 69 Javelin, Copo car that had been the owners son’s.

As an AMC guy I'll note that the 401 motor was not available untill 1971 . I never heard of any COPO cars being

available from AMC . COPO was a Chevy acronim .

Train Robber...... what recently sold off the last of my AMC/ AMX stash .

The great thing was I great timing and just happened to flip that channel on just as he hit the truck. Didn't watch the race at all. :lol:

Wow! Best wreck ever!!

LOL Good race finely !

JR. had me on the edge of my seat ! :blink:

Montoya has a new introduction song........Light My Fire by The Doors.

Seriously though, he had a "vibration" under the car, which the pit crew looked at during his single car stop. When trying to catch back up to the pack he was probably doing 120 to 130 (sometimes you can catch the pack just right and have a BIG advantage at the green flag). Something happened to the car causing him to spin out into the dryer. As reluctant to say this, I have to say it.........this one wasn't all his fault.

With all that I have said above, my opinion is that Montoya is an idiot. I'd like it if he wasn't in Nascar at all. As a side note, he wasn't the only person driving like an idiot yesterday.....the name Logano comes to mind.

Kenseth, Junior and Biffle all drove a pretty good race.........if Junior would have made his move sooner, Hamlin may have pushed him and the outcome MAY have been different. The race is in the books.

Do ya think that the Phoenix race will be rain delayed?

CS

If you didn't notice the parts and sparks flying out from under Montoya's car then you weren't looking very closely. I've owned several of the cars you list and none of them would run at or near 200 mph. Having worked for AMC, I don't remember ever seeing a 401 with more than one camshaft, and although the AMX was a fast car it only had a 390 in it from the factory. On the Corvette there is a switch that keeps the A/C clutch from engaging at high rpm. You should have that looked at.

I'm not a fan of JPM, but having been "on my head" at nearly 200 mph I can relate to what he experienced.

as a mopar guy I just have to point out that there is no 440 hemi. 440's wre wedge engines. late model (66-71) hemi's were 426's and not avail in police pkg's.

The 440s were wedge motors, (engines were called motors sometimes back then)and they didn't even put the MAX wedge (full tilt 440 with cross ram 2x4bbl intake) in the cop cars. They'd run about 160 mph, (that IS fast) but you're still 40 mph of 200. The AAR Baracuda and the hemi Daytona/Superbird were the two fastest cars Chrysler produced back then. I've ridden motorcycles faster and owned or driven several drag and one street car that would easily run at the 200 mph mark, and the mistake most folks make is to believe that they can just go out and buy that car and practice a little and they can do what the NASCAR and NHRA guys do. As a matter of fact, that is why congress hung the noise restrictions on auto racing back in the day. Those old codgers figured that they might not be able to play colledge or professional football or baseball, but they could sure enough drive a car, and with a little practice they could run with Richard Petty and Bobby Isaacs.

These top echelon race car drivers are every bit as special as any other athlete and have way more nerve than most. I know a few of our top military (and I'm not disparaging the military in any way) guys who won't do what Danica Patrick does.

maybe next year they will make it the Daytona 502 so that golden boy dale can have a chance...when he didnt get in the top 10 in the original Chase rules and came in 12th...the next year NASCAR changed the rules to the top 12 so golden child could get in...still didnt win...better drivers out there.

also dont forget that Brad Keselowski was out there snapping pictures on his smart phone device at 190 mph in the pack.......and to think they dont want regular people on their phones at 20 mph.

maybe next year they will make it the Daytona 502 so that golden boy dale can have a chance...when he didnt get in the top 10 in the original Chase rules and came in 12th...the next year NASCAR changed the rules to the top 12 so golden child could get in...still didnt win...better drivers out there.

Yep, I wonder if he knows how lousy a driver he really is, or does he just think to himself that he's still better than all but twelve or so of the over 300,000,000 others like me and you behind the wheel of a race car, and doesn't disparage any of them including me and you. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How bad a driver do you have to be to hit a large brightly colored machine with flashing lights under a caution flag?

About as bad as the 4 drivers that have driven into my parked squad car with red flashing lights while I've been investigating accidents, and the countless others that pull up and sit behind me, flashing reds and arrow stick, at disabled vehicles.

Yep, I wonder if he knows how lousy a driver he really is, or does he just think to himself that he's still better than all but twelve or so of the over 300,000,000 others like me and you behind the wheel of a race car, and doesn't disparage any of them including me and you. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Never said he was a lousy driver...just not as good as the others....I know I cant drive like him and the others and I appreciate what they can do and certainly never said I could do better than him.....I just dont like it when a sanctioning body makes concessions for a driver based on his lineage. we also gripe and moan about our professional football players ....if a person puts themself in a public venue they will get criticism. :blink:

Archived