SASS Wire Forum

Costs/Economics of Multi Day Shoot

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

Shoots scheduled for more than one day (six stages) and stretched to 2 or 3 days (ten to twelve stages) have gotten a bit rediculous in cost to attend. Here is how I break it down, then compare it to my conservative thinking:

1. Registration------------------- $75-$125

2. Lodging------------------------ $240

3. Food--------------------------- $100

4. Ammo--------------------------- $ 50

5. Equipment usage---------------- $ 50

6. Clothing usage----------------- $ 30

7. Gas/Mileage-------------------- $ 60

8. Incidentals-------------------- $ 50

TOTAL $705 Winter Range/End of Trail----More like $1500-$2000

NOW, has it become a rich man's game? Even a one-day approaches $100.

The decision is for each shooter, but just got to thinking what else I could buy with all that fun money.

Look at the items that I left in the list above - those are the costs of doing ANY event or recreational activity out of your local area for a weekend. $480 bucks. Doesn't matter if it is a SASS match or a football game or a big weekend of golf or opera. :rolleyes:

The cost of the event is small compared to those costs. Gas going up this summer? Cost of doing anything out of your local area will be even more.

So, it doesn't mean SASS is an expensive sport. It means going out of town is expensive.

How do you fight that?

* Carpool with others

* Stay with friends at the destination

* Don't eat out every meal - take some food with you, and eat with your friends.

* When the event is in your home town, offer the same savings to your out-of-town friends.

Does it take more planning, and do you have to coordinate your plans a little? Yep. Is it worth it? Well, would you rather not shoot?

The bottom line is, of course, spend your money where you have fun. If you are not having fun SASS'ing, then what the heck are you pouring your money into it for?

Good luck, GJ

I don't know about that $230, which was about 1/3 of your total.

Many motels include a free continental breakfast, it's easy to pack a lunch, and I eat food no matter where I am. Usually not $100 worth.

I look at it another way; I just finished Winter Range. My eighth and I DEFINITELY will be back next year. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I'd like to, I'm on a budget like everyone else so I pick and choose the best I can afford. Your numbers are probably pretty close but see what I added at the bottom;

9. Spending time with old friends, meeting new ones and hanging with the greatest bunch of people........PRICELESS!!!

Last year was my first two day out of state shoot and state championship match

IBPG match expenses:

1. Registration------------------- $50

4. Ammo--------------------------- $ 50 (reloads)

6. Clothing usage----------------- $ 85

7. Gas/Mileage-------------------- $ 85

$575

Michigan State Championship:

1. Registration------------------- $110

2. Lodging------------------------ $327 (stayed over an extra night because of alot of FUN at the banquet :lol: )

3. Food--------------------------- $125 (geez - they would have to have a dedicated karaoke bar next to my hotel - 2 nights :P )

7. Gas/Mileage-------------------- $ 107

8. Incidentals-------------------- $ 160 (inc posse photo, shirt, vest, Pop Wagner CD)

$879

....but I ain't complainin!! Had some of the best time in my life :)

Look forward to doin' it again....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Shoots scheduled for more than one day (six stages) and stretched to 2 or 3 days (ten to twelve stages) have gotten a bit rediculous in cost to attend. Here is how I break it down, then compare it to my conservative thinking:

The decision is for each shooter, but just got to thinking what else I could buy with all that fun money.

Then stay home ;)

BTW: some of you amounts don't make "cents".

LG

Go out of town for ANY event, game, sport, and you will have the same cost.

Equipment is MUCH less than MANY things you could do. And you can use the same guns at the big match as

you do your small club even if that club is in your own back yard. So that don't really fly to be adding

it into you total.

Clothing??? You must dress WAY nicer than I do and throw your pants away after useing them. You got this cost

WAY to high.

Food??? You don't eat at home???? Got that cost even if you never shot and stayed home. That dont fly.

But YES. It cost to go to a big match. But get into ANY hobby. And it is going to cost you.

If you don't want to go to a big one. Then don't. But for me and the wife. It's worth it.

It's the fuel and lodging that is my biggest cost. Not the match fee or any of the other. We got a camper to

stay in. And camping fees are normally lower that a hotel stay. But then you got camper payment and the extra fuel

to get it there.

But it's all worth it. Wife just said yesterday that she is really looking forward to our first trip to a match.

And us staying together in the camper.

Somehow it brings us closer togetehr.

So WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I look at it another way; I just finished Winter Range. My eighth and I DEFINITELY will be back next year. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I'd like to, I'm on a budget like everyone else so I pick and choose the best I can afford. Your numbers are probably pretty close but see what I added at the bottom;

9. Spending time with old friends, meeting new ones and hanging with the greatest bunch of people........PRICELESS!!!

AMEN--No way to appraise that.

Last year was my first two day out of state shoot and state championship match

IBPG match expenses:

1. Registration------------------- $50

7. Gas/Mileage-------------------- $ 85

$575

Michigan State Championship:

1. Registration------------------- $110

2. Lodging------------------------ $327 (stayed over an extra night because of alot of FUN at the banquet :lol: )

3. Food--------------------------- $125 (geez - they would have to have a dedicated karaoke bar next to my hotel - 2 nights :P )

7. Gas/Mileage-------------------- $ 107

8. Incidentals-------------------- $ 160 (inc posse photo, shirt, vest, Pop Wagner CD)

$879

....but I ain't complainin!! Had some of the best time in my life :)

Look forward to doin' it again....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

And we will continue because we love it and our shooting friends.

Just don't look at the price in a $/shot fired basis. That'll scare ya!

IMO, the reason for going to a match like WR isn't just the shooting. The shooting is more of a side affair. It's a long weekend party with breaks to shoot.

Whether it's worth the cost to you or not is a decision only you can make.

But a "rich man's sport"? Far from it. Have you priced a lift ticket to go skiing? Greens fees for a golf vacation? Scuba diving in exotic locations? There are many many far more expensive hobbies than this one!

Just don't look at the price in a $/shot fired basis. That'll scare ya!

IMO, the reason for going to a match like WR isn't just the shooting. The shooting is more of a side affair. It's a long weekend party with breaks to shoot.

Whether it's worth the cost to you or not is a decision only you can make.

But a "rich man's sport"? Far from it. Have you priced a lift ticket to go skiing? Greens fees for a golf vacation? Scuba diving in exotic locations? There are many many far more expensive hobbies than this one!

That is why I will continue this as my #1. Then golf, but Skiing is not for me. I may try exotic women after I plan and diving after I get my new boat.

I have scrimped and saved for many years and always made sure that everybody got their's but me..

Now, it's my turn and dammit! I'm worth it....

I'm with Sgt. Smokepole. My "hobby" was whatever my kids were into and they took up most of my time and all of my money. Spent a LOT of time sitting on cold metal benches, driving all over to get them (and the other kids that needed rides) to games all over the state, spend money feeding them all and motels for tournaments. Once the kids were out of college, I decided to be a participant instead of an observer.

We can't afford to go to as many matches as we did a few years ago but I budget and pick the ones we like best and that's where the money goes.

Can't bear to stay home, love SASS shooting plus just found 2 more Colts.

What ever? Why did you even post?? You complain about how expensive every thing was and now you found two more colts and just love sass????

On the way back to Austin Texas from Winter Range, my wife happened to mention how much we had spent just on diesel for our Class A motorhome. It was a lot-we only get about 5 miles to the gallon and it is over 2000 miles to Winter Range from central Texas and back. We are lucky in our life circumstances to have a little bit more that we can spend, but the opportunity to go to a great shoot like that and spend time with the great people out there is, as one earlier post put it, priceless. In the end, what we have is our memories, and Winter Range makes for great experiences and wonderful memories. That is why I love this sport and am willing to spend the money to be a part of it.

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

Your point about the expense of going to a big shoot is well taken. I do agree it can be expensive.

I have been sidelined for a full year and it doesen't look good for a few more months. I noticed a hole in my elbow last year at Winter Range. Long story short, I have had 6 operations and antibiotics infusion every day ( 1 1/2hrs)for the month of February. I am now being infused in a hyperbaric Chamber every day with 19 treatments and one more surgery to go. I can tell you that I have saved a lot of money. I had a 1/2 tank of fuel in my pickup in September and it is almost gone.. Don't get out much, you know?

This is one extreme to another. I really miss the trips to WR, EOT and all of the local matches. The fellowship I have not experienced this year is a killer. I will be springing for the money to go if I can safely use my firearms. It will take some rebuilding of the body, but the money and sweat of the work outs will be very much worth it to me.

A side note,..I have had at least 9 horses at one time, 9 motorcycles, two boats, I skied for years on a season passes,..numerous other activities, and this game, and the men and women who make it up make the expense worth it.

Hope to see you down the trail,..

Your point about the expense of going to a big shoot is well taken. I do agree it can be expensive.

I have been sidelined for a full year and it doesen't look good for a few more months. I noticed a hole in my elbow last year at Winter Range. Long story short, I have had 6 operations and antibiotics infusion every day ( 1 1/2hrs)for the month of February. I am now being infused in a hyperbaric Chamber every day with 19 treatments and one more surgery to go. I can tell you that I have saved a lot of money. I had a 1/2 tank of fuel in my pickup in September and it is almost gone.. Don't get out much, you know?

This is one extreme to another. I really miss the trips to WR, EOT and all of the local matches. The fellowship I have not experienced this year is a killer. I will be springing for the money to go if I can safely use my firearms. It will take some rebuilding of the body, but the money and sweat of the work outs will be very much worth it to me.

A side note,..I have had at least 9 horses at one time, 9 motorcycles, two boats, I skied for years on a season passes,..numerous other activities, and this game, and the men and women who make it up make the expense worth it.

Hope to see you down the trail,..

Pack Wolf, get well soon pard. I enjoyed meeting you last year at Fire and Ice and you were missed this year. Take care of yourself and come back to see us

I use to drag race in under 10 secs I had to start from scratch. Cas is a lot cheaper

Russ, I know what you mean. I raced the NHRA circuit in the 70's with a AA/FA....

I guess I agree with Lead Ringer. I don't understand the point of this thread.

His point is with the way the economy is and the rising prices of stuff (Not the Shoot prices) but everything else it takes to get there, and the money you spend there, the game as a whole is getting very costly for most people, to go away on a 2 to 3 day plus shoot. A person must pick and choose and put their priorities in order. I don't know about most people but this is the only hobby me and the wife do, the rest is working so we can enjoy this sport.

KK

Archived