SASS Wire Forum

Who else remembers............

YANCY DERRINGER

Flush with the success of three seasons of Range Rider (50-53) and several starring films and serials (Cody of the Pony Express, Kangaroo Kid, Rough Tough West, Overland Pacific, Showdown at Abilene, etc.), Jock Mahoney (1919-1989) signed on with CBS in 1958 as riverboat gambler Yancy Derringer, a half hour series was set in New Orleans in 1868 following the Civil War.

Yancy was an ex-Confederate captain turned gambler who is actually a special agent working for John Colton (Kevin Hagen), beleaguered Civil Administrator of New Orleans, to rid the burgeoning city of its criminal element. Not unlike the Lone Ranger, Yancys faithful companion was full blooded Pawnee

Indian Pahoo-Ka-Ta-Wah (X Brands) who carried a dagger, a sawed-off shotgun and never spoke a word. Incidentally, his name was Pawnee for Wolf who stands in water. X and Yancy communicated by sign language, which X said was authentic.

Brands (1927-2000) once said, Jocko was always there when you needed him. We were the greatest of friends. He was the greatest guy in the world. When I came on the show, he came up to me…he never stole scenes…our work together was the greatest. He loved everybody. I never heard this man put another man down. He was so beautiful.

Mahoney was fond of the series, the scripting was a major plus factor in the success of the show. Richard Sale and Mary Loos, the husband and wife writing team, were the inspiration behind the series. Sale and Loos owned the series together with exec producers Warren Lewis and Don Sharpe. Jocko had a 25% interest.

Yancy was a debonair man (yet he carried a derringer in his fancy hat) with a definite preference for ladies, in particular Madame Francine (Frances Bergen), owner of a club on Bourbon Street which was Yancys unofficial base of operations. A host of other talented lovelies passed through the seriesand Jockos armsBeverly Garland, Julie Adams, Yvette Mimieux, Ruta Lee, Karen Sharpe,

Kathleen Crowley, Peggy Stewart, Jean Willes, Marie Windsor, Virginia Grey, Paula Raymond, Patricia Barry, Kasey Rogers, Noreen Nash, even his wife, Margaret Fieldno wonder Jocko hated to see the series end. Unfortunately too soon, after only one season. 34 episodes were made with every intention, buoyed by fine ratings, of a second season. However, sponsors wanted a comedy and an excellent series fell victim to network politics.

Of course!

Always wondered how he kept his hat from falling off - it HAD to be top-heavy! :rolleyes:

Never missed an episode - first watched it because my mother heard Mahoney was a local boy...born in Chicago, but grew up in Davenport, Iowa, right across the river from us. Used to be one of the family-gathered-in-front-of-the-TV-with-popcorn shows - even my dad watched it.

FWIW Mahoney also starred in two Tarzan films, and early in his career did several of the Three Stooges films. If I'm not mistaken, he was brought into the Western genre as an actor by Gene Autry.

CS

Jock, Jack, Mahoney, great actor, stuntman. Had the pleasure of meeting him once through the late Maurice "Moe" Hunt, at a breakfast gathering that was a ritual with Alan Hale, Peter Brown, etc. Mahoney was a pilot and instructor during WW2, a Marine. As stated before he got his start in 3 Stooges films, with some great amount of screen time. He developed his natural athletic, and some amazing stunt work, not only on and off the ground, but an expert horseman. In the Durango Kid series, he would double not only as an outlaw, but also as the Durango Kid, sometimes with editing, actually chasing himself.

In 1948, he actually because of his built and athletic skills, tried out for the part of Tarzan after Johnny Weismuller left, but was beat out by Lex Barker, the irony was that he would play Tarzan in 2 movies a little over a decade later. The first Tarzan also took a toll on his health, and when the 2nd was filmed, one can see, even when ill,(he was ill during the filming, but insisted on completion and was aware of the cost instilled if he didn't work) how much weight he had lost.

I asked him what was his favorite acting job, he replied he enjoyed most Range Rider, because of Dick Jones as Dick West, also doing his own stunts. That the 1/2 hrs series was the most fun, and Autry allowed a lot of leeway with script and action, action is what he enjoyed most, and stunting. He enjoyed working the drama series with Loretta Young show, but above all, Yancy Derringer was his most memorable, it allowed him all, action, stunting, serious scripts, and a great crew. He also enjoyed the theme music, which he said he had on a cassette and played many times while driving. MT

I enjoyed Yancy Derringer, but I'll always remember him best as the Range Rider. Watched that faithfully.

Got a hat he signed when he came to the rodeo in houston in the early 50s. after his performance he rode around the areana and threw his hat to the crowd. This was when he was the Range Rider.

cobra

Archived