SASS Wire Forum

B Western Stars

Dirty Redd

Was in Oklahoma City this weekend on business and of course visited the Cowboy Museum , it was well worth the price of

admission because i walked into cowboy heaven. I got to thinking nobody mentions the great cowboy stars from the 40's &

50's like my top five: 1. Randolph Scott

2. Wild Bill Elliot

3. Rory Calhoun

4. George O'Brian

5. Audie Murphy

Who were your favorites ? If you start thinking to hard i might smell the wood burning here in Jawja. lol

Redd

William (wild bill) Elliot and Slim Pickens! They could actually ride horses like cowboys!

Just MY humble opinion..( My lil blonde ranch foregal said when the heck was I ever humble)\

Tascosa

:lol: :lol: :lol: She musta been gossiping with Mrs. Badger.

My Favorites, well, The Duke of course, but the B westerns, at the front was Gene. Then as I grew

more sophisticated and worldly, (like 9 or 10), Wild Bill Elliott, Slim Pickins and Ben Johnson.

Was in Oklahoma City this weekend on business and of course visited the Cowboy Museum , it was well worth the price of

admission because i walked into cowboy heaven. I got to thinking nobody mentions the great cowboy stars from the 40's &

2. Wild Bill Elliot

3. Rory Calhoun

4. George O'Brian

5. Audie Murphy

Who were your favorites ? If you start thinking to hard i might smell the wood burning here in Jawja. lol

Redd

Great, just remember Randolph Scott, Rory Calhoun, and Audie Murphy, were not "B" western stars. MT

According to the film narrator (Sam Eliot) at the museum, a B-Western was the second film featured at the theaters

back in the day. In my opinion all of those cowboys were my hero's. One guy i forgot was Errol Flynn in Rocky Mountain

which was also Slim Pickens first movie.

Redd

According to the film narrator (Sam Eliot) at the museum, a B-Western was the second film featured at the theaters

back in the day.

Redd

He is correct, but "B" was not only a western film. "B" films were made with a fixed budget, and rented to theatres with a fixed price, compared to also a revenue of the tickets. They were made to fill a billing. Most pictures rarely exceeded over 70 minutes in the early days, many times a picture of 60 minutes or less were shown to give the ticket buyer an extra film for the money and draw theatre goers.

Probable one of the best "B" western used to draw people to theatres and also the profit used for another B westerns was the "Rocky" Lane pictures. The profit was used to pay the higher price, and color films of Roy Rogers films. MT

He is correct, but "B" was not only a western film. "B" films were made with a fixed budget, and rented to theatres with a fixed price, compared to also a revenue of the tickets. They were made to fill a billing. Most pictures rarely exceeded over 70 minutes in the early days, many times a picture of 60 minutes or less were shown to give the ticket buyer an extra film for the money and draw theatre goers.

Probable one of the best "B" western used to draw people to theatres and also the profit used for another B westerns was the "Rocky" Lane pictures. The profit was used to pay the higher price, and color films of Roy Rogers films. MT

Thank you for the information , it is much appreciated.

Redd

2. Wild Bill Elliot

3. Rory Calhoun

4. George O'Brian

5. Audie Murphy

Redd

That museum is FANTASTIC . . . I'll visit it again on my trip to the east in 2013 . . . :)

John Wayne in his B Westerns, Gene, Tex Ritter, Bob Steel, and maybe somebody some of you not remember or know Tim McCoy

Those were the days when the theater had one screen and would show two movies to fill the seats and have a short-short, newreel, or cartoon between the movies so you could go get an overpriced popcorn or drink for a dime from the concession stand.

Those were the days when the theater had one screen and would show two movies to fill the seats and have a short-short, newreel, or cartoon between the movies so you could go get an overpriced popcorn or drink for a dime from the concession stand.

Don't forget the serial chapter also.

A;so cowboy stars, Reb Russell, Whip Wilson,Sunset Carson, Also the trio westerns were several western stars united to clear the west of outlaws, 3 Mesquiters, Trigger Trios, Texas Rangers, Rough Riders.

Early TV filled the time slots with westerns from 6AM onward 7days a week, many times commercial free, and with limited commercials in the early days, uncut. Those were the days.

I remember our local theatre, opened up exactly 1:30 saturday, with kids lined along the block, cost .15 for the movie, .05 for a cup of Green River, popcorn was a dime, box of candy, usually Good N Plenty a nickle. The owner, a little ole lady would stand and watch the boys file in, no cap guns allowed, if caught, she would hold them till the end of movie to return them. MT

Archived